The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
thinking of upgrading to an Apollo Twin Solo? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Addict

thinking of upgrading to an Apollo Twin Solo?

im thinking of taking the plunge and getting an Apollo Twin Solo(im upgrading from a focusrite scarlett 6i6) and wanted to know if this is actually really worth it,the main reason being that uad plug ins are apparently far superior than anything else out there and i want that analog sound that we all love

also i want to record my moog sub37 right into it and the scarlett 6i6 seems to lack some audio clarity when doing this and im hoping that a Apollo Twin Solo will do a much better job

please advise / recommend....
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Maniac
Do not do it. Spend a little more and get the Duo. The Solo just does not have enough horsepower. Some of the more modern plugs will bring a solo to it's knees.

Also, if you are going to do this - do it now. There is a promotion on that has technically just ended - but is valid for all Uad Apollo Twin Duo & solo users as long as they register their devices by Jan 15th.

If you do this you will get the following plugins:

Apollo Twin Solo: Bermuda Trangle Distortion Plug-in and the EMT 140 Plate Reverb (which is EPIC!)

Apollo Twin Duo: The above Plus the UA 610A Tube Preamp & EQ Plug-In - which is just beautiful.

These are definately worth having (see HERE for details).

BE WARNED: UAD plug-ins are like crack cocaine - very addictive.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Mike

P.S. The above applies if you decide you are going to invest in the UAD system. If you are asking whether to to invest ? - well this thread is likely to deteriorate real fast into a mud slinging match, with lots of people calling each other deaf, or stupid or something. UAD is a premium product and is not inexpensive, but most people who invest in it seem to be pretty happy with it. I very recently bought a Twin Duo, and I am enjoying it immensely. But if you re asking whether to invest - well, - it's kind of like asking everyone what the best football team in the world is. It will all just end in tears before bedtime.....

This is Gearslutz after all.....
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Yep, get the Duo.

I have a silverface Apollo 8 Duo, my only regret is that I didn't get the quad version.

Old 3rd January 2016
For me the Apollo Twin has been one of my best investments in terms of audio equipment. Can't recommend it enough!
But I would also recommend to spend a bit more and get the duo. The solo should not be sold in my opinion as it's too underpowered. I would actually have paid a bit more to get a quad. Hopefully they release one with the dual core chips in a year or so.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search