The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New PC - Graphics card question Channel Strips
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Nut
New PC - Graphics card question

Hi all,

Just a quick question for the more technically minded..

I'm about to buy a new studio PC, am probably going to get one from Scan. The model I am looking at has the 6700k processor, and an Asus Z170-A motherboard. The PC is purely for studio use and wont even be connected to the internet.

My question is this - This Z170-A motherboard has integrated graphics. I'm not sure whether to just go with the integrated graphics or spend an extra £28 on a Radeon R5 230 1gb graphic card?

- Will the integrated graphics be good enough to view multiple plugins etc over 2 screens?
- Does using the integrated graphics on the motherboard slow down the main CPU in any way?

So what should I do, go with the integrated graphics or just buy a cheap graphics card (R5 230).

Any advice much appreciated as its the only thing I cant decide on
Old 2nd January 2016
yes it will be fine. Better for DPC as well. Just remember that a portion of your system memory will be allocated so bump it up just a bit (you don't need 64G unless you have massive sample libraries). Just a little bump if you plan to use 16G for music.
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Nut
I use the EastWest libraries quite a bit and was planning on getting 16gb Ram. Do you think I should bump it up to 32Gb?

Sorry I know nothing about computers - so are you saying it I use the Motherboard's integrated graphics it will use some of the system RAM, and if I get a graphics card it wont?

Thanks for the reply
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

The onboard graphics is located on the 6700k cpu and should be more than enough for what you need, it can actually handle 3 monitors if the motherboard has the outputs. Consider your current RAM requirements on your system. If you currently have a 8GB system and have been fine, 16GB will work out great, but I would configure it with two 8GB sticks so you have 2 unused slots to upgrade to 32GB later.

Personally I would go with nvidia for a standalone gpu over AMD if you go that route.
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

I normally recommend a dedicated GPU compared to integrated graphics. The intergrated graphics take up system ram as compared to a GPUs on board memory. Also There is a CPU hit (Albeit with the new Skylake processors like the 6700 a negligible hit) using the integrated graphics. Just get a small GPU that can handle you monitor needs.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search