The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VST Compressors that sounds like Hardware Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st January 2016
Here for the gear

VST Compressors that sounds like Hardware

Currently have a few sftware Compressors, but most seem to lack something, mostly in that they all seem the kill the bass.
VertigoVSC-2 sounds awesome and is probably the best plugin compressor I've heard, but it's too limited for waht I need and I ended uo buying the elysia alpha whch sounds amazing but doestn't seem to keep the kick bass as fat - although sidechaining sort of save this,

Again my lovely people, I've drunk, and drunk for a person who doesn't normally drick, so sorry for spelling ect. Again happy new year everyone! Hope every thing went well; currently I feel great, after a long spell of depression. love this sight, love you guys.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

I can't comment on software comps that sound like hardware (I don't have a hardware comp!), but SSL X-Comp could be what you're after. It has "Bleed" control which bypasses Low and High frequencies using 1st order filter and amount of "bleeding" can be adjusted. DMG Audio Compassion also has a similar function, where you can split frequency band only compress the selected band. It comes with sidechain filter too.

Anyways, great to hear you feeling good after depression! The first nice thread of Gearslutz 2016!

Happy New Year!
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

well, if you don't know how the 'hardware compressor' actually sounds, it's going to be hard to find a plugin that sounds like one.

But try these, you might found that suits you: Waves SSL, Waves Rennaisance Comp, Cytomic The Glue, TDR Feedback Compressor, Molot.
Old 1st January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

#1 : Be happy!

#2 : You could try the Softube TLA-100A.
Old 1st January 2016
Here for the gear

I love this board, I don't know why so many other forums hate this place, but it's really, trully great. Funny thing, even though I drunk, I'am full aware I how stupid I'm actinf, so please just ignore that. You've been reall helpfull, and I'll for sure come back when I'm more sober (if I remember).
Again happy new year everyone! I find this forum one of the best for knowledge, advice and all around helpfullness. So truly thnaks.
Old 1st January 2016
Here for the gear

Waves Rennaisance Comp, own and was surprised how good it sounds if you know how to use it. Surprised so many people diss Waves Plugins, because even the top studios uses them. Theres actually a really cool trade secret using the RComp, but I'll leave it at that.
Old 1st January 2016
Here for the gear

Anyway, thanx, I'm gonna demo some, and see if it's waht I want. other wise I might gradually start adding hardware back to to setup.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

MJUC
DBX-160
IK Precision
NI Solid Buss
Presswerk
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Check ou the softube stuff. It s great.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Set the sidechain filter high.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
MJUC
DBX-160
IK Precision
NI Solid Buss
Presswerk
I've put up various DBX 160's against my hardware and for me they are not there yet, on bass anyhow.

I know you will disagree and I wish I was wrong as I am about to lay down $ on some more DBX160's to dedicate to bass drum and snare as I really love that sound.

It's the snap, it has loads of balls which I did not get entirely from the software. I should do a shoot out properly with examples though again as words mean little without audio to back it up

Happy new year all
Old 1st January 2016
r comp (great on vocals)
r vox (great on vocals)
the glue (great on mixbus)
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
I've put up various DBX 160's against my hardware and for me they are not there yet, on bass anyhow.

I know you will disagree and I wish I was wrong as I am about to lay down $ on some more DBX160's to dedicate to bass drum and snare as I really love that sound.

It's the snap, it has loads of balls which I did not get entirely from the software. I should do a shoot out properly with examples though again as words mean little without audio to back it up

Happy new year all
For the vey same reason I will NEVER part with my 2 DBX 160s (shines on drums, Kick, snare, bass and some vocals).

PS. If you have not used any of the usual hardware suspects, there are plenty of plugins close enough (and often closer than between two of the same hardware). Just go for some quality plugins.

The hardware vs software version is only valid as a discussion for those who actually have used both IMO.
Most Plugins of 2016 is of so great quality that you can just pick your flavor (sound, workflow etc) without a single worry (I wish it was this good in the 70s).

I have been around for a lifetime, and there are still hardware I'm lusting for but can't afford (when running a business it is also an economical issue/challenge).
For my own fun/vanity/"fill in yours" I have/would get more analog equipment than reasonable, he he

But my clients give a *hit, don't know, and can't hear the difference (within a finished mix).

Happy New Year
Old 1st January 2016
probably the closest IMO are (from the top of my head)

Klanghelm MJUC, DC8C
Slate FG Grey
Slate VMR 1176 and VCA
IK Precision
Softube Summit
NI Vari Mu

There are a few others that are close but to be honest none of them IMO are spot on esp in bass and transient handling, and tone. They get the job done tho it just depends how focussed on the sound you are.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear
I owned a hardware DBX 162 (stereo version) for many years, and bought the UAD DBX 160 plugin a few years back. I agree that the UAD plugin isn't quite there. It's not bad and has some of the characteristics, but it doesn't nail that sound. I think the Stillwell Major Tom is closer, and it doesn't even advertise itself as a DBX 160 clone. I've never heard the Waves DBX 160 emulation, maybe its better.

Recently on bass I've been using the DDMF New York compressor. I wouldn't say it sounds like a DBX 160, but it has a very snappy attack characteristic that is somewhat similar and works well on bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post

Happy new year all
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear
I think Klanghelm MJUC is the most "analog" sounding plugin that I own, and it's a terrific workhorse but I don't tend to use it on bass. My choices on bass guitar recently are:

1) DDMF New York Compressor
2) Stillwell Major Tom
3) UAD DBX 160

If I wanted to level out a bass track I would use one of the UAD LA2A plugins or Thrillseeker LA. The UAD 1176 emulation has worked well on kick for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrx89 View Post
Currently have a few sftware Compressors, but most seem to lack something, mostly in that they all seem the kill the bass.
VertigoVSC-2 sounds awesome and is probably the best plugin compressor I've heard, but it's too limited for waht I need and I ended uo buying the elysia alpha whch sounds amazing but doestn't seem to keep the kick bass as fat - although sidechaining sort of save this,

Again my lovely people, I've drunk, and drunk for a person who doesn't normally drick, so sorry for spelling ect. Again happy new year everyone! Hope every thing went well; currently I feel great, after a long spell of depression. love this sight, love you guys.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Recently on bass I've been using the DDMF New York compressor. I wouldn't say it sounds like a DBX 160, but it has a very snappy attack characteristic that is somewhat similar and works well on bass.
Funny you should mention that one....................

I actually bought it not that long ago, for the same/simular reason. But I have not bodered comparing it side by side with my DBX 160s.

PS. I like most of DDMF's plugins...................... and his pricing
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear
I've had it a long time and wasn't using it much. Then a couple of months ago I had a bass track that was over-compressed, and I couldn't get any attack out of it. The UAD wasn't quite working, nor were the others I was trying. On a whim I tried the NY Compressor and preferred it over the others, and now I reach for it first on bass guitar. I use a medium long attack (12-15 ms) to let the initial transient through.

I've always liked his EQs a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Funny you should mention that one....................

I actually bought it not that long ago, for the same/simular reason. But I have not bodered comparing it side by side with my DBX 160s.

PS. I like most of DDMF's plugins...................... and his pricing
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear
the sknote dbx 165 a,Boz 10 db and Manic,Klanghelm MJUC,Uad Fairchild..
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

My master bus for years was satson and then the glue.
The Softube summit is so so good, and though not meant for bus duties, it's replaced the glue. And then followed by Stilwell bad buss mojo to bring all the energy forward.
Old 2nd January 2016
Mjuce jr(free) is great!! Also the Sknote Sta-level is Amazing.
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

PSP Master Comp, Old Timer ME, NI SuperCharger GT, Slate VCC. Those are the my favs for tight low-end & punch. Or for limiters, Wave 316 and Slate FG-X.

Keep the drums uncompressed as much as possible though. That goes a lonnng way....
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Anything with a sidechain filter will sort you out just fine probably, the one in your DAW probably has one.

Personally the only compression I use for drums (disregarding creative processing) is buss compression which doesnt move the needle much anyways, and limiting and distortion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search