The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Internal Sound card upgrade advice Audio Interfaces
Old 31st December 2015
Here for the gear
Internal Sound card upgrade advice

I am doing a new PC build, and have kind of lost touch with the current state of internal sound cards, an need some advice.

So with that I use:
FL studio, and Ableton with heavy use of VST's with ASIO
Focusrite 18i20 audio interface

I have been looking at the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR but before I commit to purchasing an internal sound card, I figured I'd turn to the community for advice.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

No Soundblaster isn't good way for upgrade.. Its drives are really bad in terms of ASIO performance.

Why you want internal soundcard at the first place? Latency and performance improvement over your 18i20?

I believe some RME card with ADAT ports will allow you to use your existing interface.. Focusrite 18i20 can be configured for standalone mode, so you can use it as a 8 channel converter with new card.
Depending on your new motherboard, you could possibly use also older PCI cards from RME like 9632 or 9652, which can be cheaper to get at used market. If your new build doesn't have PCI slots, then you would have to look for newer RME AIO or RayDAT models.

Michal
Old 31st December 2015
Here for the gear
I have used the 18i20 as a standalone, but have had some issues with some vst's ( ie guitar rig, EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA ) so I am thinking it may be either 1.) I'm not doing something right, or 2.) perhaps an internal card would help spread out the load 3.) ASIO is acting odd.

So I figure no harm in looking into an internal sound card versus the onboard audio to see if that will help. Plus while the RME's idea good, the available funds are not permitting.

The MOBO is a AM3+ GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

You probably haven't used 18i20 as a standalone (that means just as a converter without computer).
I don't know, if I can help you with your general VSTi problem.. it can be caused by multitude of things down the line, from computer software or hardware configuration, bad setup of your DAW through some real problems with audio interface.
PCI cards generally offers better performance with short ASIO buffers (eg. lower output latency), that's true. But also it is possible to achieve stable configuration with USB interfaces like you have, albeit with higher output latency.

Your motherboard has PCI slot, so it would be possible to get older cards to it.
Frankly I don't have much experience with later AMD setups, because it just doesn't make any sense to use it for last eight years or so.

RME is recommended not because it is PCI, but because it is generally very stable and with great support. If you're really short on money and want other tip for internal audio interface it will be ESI [email protected] XTE, which is much cheaper than RME. It is pretty good card, but you can't use your 18i20 together, as it doesn't have ADAT ports.

Michal
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

I would try the onboard first perhaps as they have been getting very good since the past few years. It would also be such an easy part to add later as there wont be any disassembly required to install at a later date other than removing the side panel of the case.

Since I am not a DAW user (just a system builder) I would think its common in this use case to use an external DAC for audio? Curious...
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedawry View Post
ASIO is acting odd.
That's why you need an RME
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

You don't mention your OS or if you have optimized the OS for audio production.

The on board sound will be no better or worse than any creative sound blaster card so don't waste your money on that.

Good chance your 1820 is having some compatibility issues with the USB chipsets. I would make sure that the 1820 is not plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Will probably be better to just pick up a USB 2.0 PCI-e card and disable your USB 3.0 and if possible in the BIOs the USb 2.0 ports other than the back ports.

If this does not improve things then I would try the 1820 in a different system to rule out something being wrong with it.

If it works fine then the issue is with your OS setup or a compatibility issue with your AMD system.
Buying a different audio interface be it USB , PCI or PCI-e might not change things when I comes to you stability and performance issues.

Chris
Old 2nd January 2016
Here for the gear
Running win 7 pr, still on the fence about win 10.
32gig ram
and a decent video card.

the way I have everything set up is the following:
m-audio Oxygen to usb 3.0 hub (however, thinking about replacing with a Akai Professional APC Key 25)
yamaha m06 to usb 3.0 hub and Focusrite 18i20
Akai apc 40 to usb 3,0 hub
Behringer XD8USB to usb 3.0 hub
mackie mcu to PC
guitars to Focusrite 18i20
vocals to Focusrite 18i20
PC soundcard and Focusrite 18i20 out to TASCAM DP-24SD

So about using the on board sound, I have read a few different places that a sound card is better than on board, as it will take some of the load off of the processor and ram, as it is it's own processing unit.

I looked into the RME and they are a bit out of the price range I have to play with at the moment.

So with that, what would be decent work around for system sound, and music production and stay within the 200-300 range
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Running win 7 pr, still on the fence about win 10.
32gig ram
and a decent video card.

the way I have everything set up is the following:
m-audio Oxygen to usb 3.0 hub
yamaha m06 to usb 3.0 hub and Focusrite 18i20
Akai apc 40 to usb 3,0 hub
Behringer XD8USB to usb 3.0 hub
mackie mcu to PC
guitars to Focusrite 18i20
vocals to Focusrite 18i20
PC soundcard and Focusrite 18i20 out to TASCAM DP-24SD

So about using the on board sound, I have read a few different places that a sound card is better than on board, as it will take some of the load off of the processor and ram, as it is it's own processing unit.

I looked into the RME and they are a bit out of the price range I have to play with at the moment.

So with that, what would be decent work around for system sound, and music production and stay within the 200-300 range
Hi,
Why are you plugging all these USB 2.0 devices into a USB 3.0 hub? You are just adding one more layer of compatibility issues.
These are all plugged into a single hub I assume not separate hubs for each?

What is the purpose of the Tascam? Mobile recording? How is it hooked up to the focusrite?

The Etron usb 3.0 used on AMD boards will have compatibility issues with most audio interfaces. turn if off in the bios use only the usb 2.0 ports and hubs.

There no need or benefit to using a 2nd sound card along with the focusrite. As long as it or the computer is working right then it will properly handle all windows and ASIO driver functions.

What you have read or understood about a sound card/audio interface is not correct. A soundcard/audio interface designed to be used with a DAW has specific drivers written to perform more efficiently and at a lower latency than the on board or sound blaster. On board sound/sound blaster cards are designed for gaming and budget home theatre not the real time requirements of pro audio. That being all pro audio interfaces/sound cards are designed t handle windows audio as well as pro audio. So no need for the on board audio at all unless you doing surround gaming or something.

An RME sound card or audio interface would replace of the focusrite not be used in addition to it. This will be the case with any other audio interface/sound card designed for use with DAW by any manufacturer.

If you find that once you stop using the USB 3.0 ports and hubs and use only usb 2.0 that the focusrite is still not working reliably then the best replacement for it for under $1k is the Steinberg UR824.

There is no audio interface at all in the $200/300 range that will the amount of I/O that will work any better than the Focusrite. Maybe if you find something used.

Chris
Old 3rd January 2016
Here for the gear
Sadly I must say, I do have some games installed on the PC, and I also use the box for editing video with Adobe, it's nice to be able to fire up Audition and write scores while in playback ..

I know I shouldn't do it that way, but I can't really afford 3 boxes, nor do I have the space.

The Tascam is set up so the pc goes to a line in / the 18i20 goes into a line in ,mostly for when we have jam sessions and quick record. Then I can take the saved file from the tascam, each channel as mono and break the tracks up in ableton.

I did use a usb 2.0 but after trial and error, found that the usb 3.0 seems to work a bit better in terms of delay/latency, and responsiveness. Yes, 1 Elektron Overhub 7-Port for the devices.
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sadly I must say, I do have some games installed on the PC, and I also use the box for editing video with Adobe, it's nice to be able to fire up Audition and write scores while in playback ..

I know I shouldn't do it that way, but I can't really afford 3 boxes, nor do I have the space.

The Tascam is set up so the pc goes to a line in / the 18i20 goes into a line in ,mostly for when we have jam sessions and quick record. Then I can take the saved file from the tascam, each channel as mono and break the tracks up in ableton.

I did use a usb 2.0 but after trial and error, found that the usb 3.0 seems to work a bit better in terms of delay/latency, and responsiveness. Yes, 1 Elektron Overhub 7-Port for the devices.
Hi,
Games and video editing programs will all work fine with a pro audio interface

Are you trying to use Ableton, FL studio at the same you have a video game or video editing app open?
If so it will be best in that case to use the on board audio just for your windows audio appliations like games, video editing, web, etc. You can run an adapter from the "green" line out of the on board audio and run it into 2 of the analog inputs of the focusrite.
That way you monitor eery through the one device. You will also be able to record those channels into Ableton if you wanted to as well.

Chris
Old 3rd January 2016
Here for the gear
Chris,

So what would be the con of purchasing a sound card like the
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
or
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Then later on adding in an RME card into the mix.

I use ableton and fl, and the fl site recommended them, hence all of my confusion.
https://support.image-line.com/knowl...ase.php?ans=62
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris,

So what would be the con of purchasing a sound card like the
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
or
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Then later on adding in an RME card into the mix.

I use ableton and fl, and the fl site recommended them, hence all of my confusion.
https://support.image-line.com/knowl...ase.php?ans=62
Hi,
They will be no better than the on board audio so complete waste of money.
The RME would be a USB interface so hopefully there are no compatibility issues already going on with your Focusrite that will be carried over to the next interface you get.
None of the RME PCI-e cards will have the connectivity you need to replace the Focusrite. Only their USB interfaces will.

Chris
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear
SoundBlaster

Don't waste your money.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search