The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Video Card Questions Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th December 2015
Video Card Questions

Hey all,

As I'm switching from a Mac I need some help. This thread concerns video cards. I currently use the stock mac 2010 video card to drive 3 monitors. I'm building a PC and would like suggestions on a config that would allow me to drive 3-4 monitors AND output my video (Cubase Video Playback) to a 60 Inch television that will serve as my video monitor.

The system I'm thinking about now (w/o Video) is an i7 based system (5960x) with 64g of ram on an Asus x99deluxe board.

Thanks
F
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

Recently I've used this Gigabyte 750Ti card for very similar setup..
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 700 Series - GV-N75TOC-2GI

Two desktops 1920x1200 to 24" monitors via DVI output 1 and 2, third desktop is 1920x1080 50i, which is cloned simultaneously to two televisions via HDMI outputs 3 and 4.
I don't know about recent Cubase, but with other DAWs, there is just video player running fullscreen at third desktop.

If you need more than 4 outputs, you'll need either some ATI eyefinity solution (which can be quite PITA, unless you have everything with native Displayport), multiple graphic cards or possible expansion of available outputs with Matrox DualHead2Go Digital.

Michal
Old 30th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeserface View Post
Hey all,

As I'm switching from a Mac I need some help. This thread concerns video cards. I currently use the stock mac 2010 video card to drive 3 monitors. I'm building a PC and would like suggestions on a config that would allow me to drive 3-4 monitors AND output my video (Cubase Video Playback) to a 60 Inch television that will serve as my video monitor.

The system I'm thinking about now (w/o Video) is an i7 based system (5960x) with 64g of ram on an Asus x99deluxe board.

Thanks
F
Hello,

There are a few options you have. Since the 700 series, a single nvidia card can support 3 monitors. SInce the 900 series (gtx950 for example) can support up to 4 displays. If you need more than 4 you can simply just add another video card internally or an external adapter. I prefer internal solutions though.

I havent personally done anything over 3 monitors but its documented what I have stated by nvidia's spec sheets and such. There is another concern if all of the monitors were 4k monitors but that is likely not the case.

Another nice thing about the 900 series is that they dont spin the fans at all at normal use until they are heavily loaded like playing a game or some sort of gpu rendering.

There are some quirks with AMD video cards, personally I always recommend nvidia but I also have not used an AMD video card since they were still owned by ATI....so maybe since 2005 or so.

There are some workstation low powered video cards that can do 5-6 displays on one card but they cost as much as two geforce cards anyways, so I tend do recommend the two video cards as they are more powerful and will end up offering you 6-8 monitors depending on your choice.

That is not considered SLI either, SLI is when you combine their power for one output essentially, so just wanted to mention that before it confuses anyone.
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

@ remiscs
It isn't completely true..
Nvidia Kepler line supports up to four monitors depending on particular chip.
Up to GT740 it is 3 monitor support, from GTX750 4 monitors are supported.
For Maxwell (900 series), they didn't introduced lowest chips yet, so 950 and up also supports 4 monitors.

AMD has its quirks, but same applies also to Nvidia.. For example there are specific MB and VGA combinations (mainly with lower end models like GT620/630, but I've also reported it happens with GT730), where quite significant (eg. 400us) DPC latency peaks occurs. And although I really wanted to crack that nut and spend quite amount of time with debugging of issue, it isn't clear to me, why this is happening or what exact combination is affected. Also no workaround is known to me, so at affected computers it ended with Radeon instead.
Last and this year I've installed several GTX 750/750Ti at different computers and so far, knocking on wood here, no latency issues with it. But it can't be taken as definitive conclusion about that, because I haven't chance to test it across all possible computer configurations of course.

Michal
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
@ remiscs
It isn't completely true..
Nvidia Kepler line supports up to four monitors depending on particular chip.
Up to GT740 it is 3 monitor support, from GTX750 4 monitors are supported.
For Maxwell (900 series), they didn't introduced lowest chips yet, so 950 and up also supports 4 monitors.

AMD has its quirks, but same applies also to Nvidia.. For example there are specific MB and VGA combinations (mainly with lower end models like GT620/630, but I've also reported it happens with GT730), where quite significant (eg. 400us) DPC latency peaks occurs. And although I really wanted to crack that nut and spend quite amount of time with debugging of issue, it isn't clear to me, why this is happening or what exact combination is affected. Also no workaround is known to me, so at affected computers it ended with Radeon instead.
Last and this year I've installed several GTX 750/750Ti at different computers and so far, knocking on wood here, no latency issues with it. But it can't be taken as definitive conclusion about that, because I haven't chance to test it across all possible computer configurations of course.

Michal
According to nvidia spec sheet the 750 only supports 3 monitors...
GeForce GTX 750 | Specifications | GeForce

I got to use a gtx750 on a protools build and the owner has mentioned all was running great with it. Glad we both had similar experiences.

I just rather have excessive gpu power so that monitor arrangements of all kinds can be done. My personal recommendation on any build requiring a standalone gpu is at least the gtx750 but I point out the 950 as a starting point for 4 monitors support, passive fan mode and great rear I/O layout for connecting modern displays. I mean for someone truly needing only one or two monitors less is just fine too.

Admittedly I have only done one DAW build, I tend to do more engineering, photo/video and gaming builds. It was my exposure to this area that has me trying to learn and help others with the knowledge I already have.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

@ remiscs

There seems to slight confusion regarding monitor count at GTX 750/750Ti..
Linked specs at Nvidia site tells 3 monitor are supported at GTX 750
GeForce GTX 750 | Specifications | GeForce
and 4 monitors for GTX 750Ti
GeForce GTX 750 Ti | Specifications | GeForce

But contrary to this, there are some cards with OC'd GTX 750, which has 4 outputs, like this GV-N750OC-1GI
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 700 Series - GV-N750OC-1GI
I've installed it, but doesn't need to connect all four outputs at the particular setup.

For previously mentioned 4 monitor setup (two monitors, two TVs), I've used Ti model with two fans - GV-N75TOC-2GI
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 700 Series - GV-N75TOC-2GI
Which happens to be also in-line with Nvidia's specs..

Anyway, for next builds, it will be probably something with 2nd generation Maxwell based GTX950, which also does have 4 outputs and more Displayports, as you've said.
Although for some setups, output layout with more HDMI ports instead of Displayports are advantageous, because there isn't need for adaptors and you can connect TV's directly to graphics card. Also there is much better selection of various splitters, repeaters, extenders etc. for HDMI and DVI than for DP. Sometimes this is necessary to do at places, where for example is separate machine room, control room and place for speaker/talents with additional TVs are used.

I don't have much experience with gaming builds though.. Frankly I've always little bit afraid of that segment, because there is usually some teenager, who has excessive demands and tight budget At least I see that with my family and friends around me Also it is bit hard for me to somewhat anticipate requirements of next games, release of its first and not so well optimized versions and so on. But I believe, those overclocked rigs with transparent cases with LEDs can be also fun for builders.

Michal
Old 3rd January 2016
I've been following this thread, scratching my head a little. Do we know which video cards create latency issues, because I'd rather avoid those as much as possible. Right now I'm thinking about the 950 (and possibly getting a second to mirror the tv output to a client TV). What features should I look for? Does the brand matter? I've seen Gigabyte/Evga/Asus/MSI versions of the cards. Any advice there?

The monitors I have now are connected either via HDMi or Digital/VGA. What can I possibly expect from the 950? Will I need to buy Displayport/HDMI adapters?

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeserface View Post
I've been following this thread, scratching my head a little. Do we know which video cards create latency issues, because I'd rather avoid those as much as possible. Right now I'm thinking about the 950 (and possibly getting a second to mirror the tv output to a client TV). What features should I look for? Does the brand matter? I've seen Gigabyte/Evga/Asus/MSI versions of the cards. Any advice there?

The monitors I have now are connected either via HDMi or Digital/VGA. What can I possibly expect from the 950? Will I need to buy Displayport/HDMI adapters?

Thanks
When I had my x58 i7 950 board up until a few months ago the biggest culprit for DPC spikes was the NvidiaKernal.somethingorOther file. Even though I was way, way below the problem area (latencymon Windows 10 version) it still bothered me.
I swapped in an AMD Radeon card, low end model like $75 USD or so and latency dropped.
The Nvidia was a GT630 but I also tried a GT610 with same results.

Again I had NO PROBLEMS at all with spiking into the red zone or any other problems with my DAW software.

So, I've upgraded to the board in my sig and am using the onboard Intel to drive my twin 27 inch Samsung LED monitors and I have zero issues.
Latency/DPC spiking barely registers on the screen.

Nvidia makes the "best cards" but at least in my case, with the older board, I got spikes from the software. Also I only install the driver and do a clean install. None of that PhysX stuff etc.

YMMV of course.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search