The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to feed a 5.1 reverb
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

how to feed a 5.1 reverb

How do you feed a 5.1 reverb? I don't understand teh concept of a 5.1 reverb.

Can you just place an instance of a reverb on each channel with the same settings?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi, the reason for a 5.1 reverb would be when you are mixing in surround (6 channels). Other then that, the reverb is pretty much the same. Meaning ways of 'feeding' etc ... and yes, you can have the same settings on all channels, but like a stereo reverb.

I just recently got into mixing 5.1 on a Protools HD system. Really is lots of fun
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMB View Post
Can you just place an instance of a reverb on each channel with the same settings?
In the absence of a true hardware or software surround reverb, i.e. you just have stereo plugs, I would think about using two stereo reverbs, one for the front, and one for the rear. Stereo reverbs already have separation between sides, but it's separation that was put in by the designers, so it's what the reverb is supposed to sound like. You might want to adjust them differently for more sonic complexity. If you want an even RT for front and rear, you could only change the modulation parameters in one reverb, for instance increasing the mod depth and decreasing the mod speed, on just the rear instance. You may also want to adjust the pre-delays differently- I usually have a longer pre-delay on the rears.

Of course, you could use 5 (of the same) mono reverbs and change certain parameters in all of them, but that increases the tweeking time exponentially, and you might forget what you were going for.

I would leave the center channel out of the reverb scheme, again unless you have a true 5 channel reverb.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search