The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line6 Plugins thoughts
Old 15th April 2007
  #61
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
Yeah, you have to have the toneport plugged in. It's a dongle. It can be the interface if you want it to be, but it doesn't have to be. But it does have to be connected to run the plugins.


Lol, suckage
Old 15th April 2007
  #62
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
i swear I read somewhere that it did actually use the pod for processing the plugins...

Good question. If you run Gearbox plug-in with the toneport, do you get a bigger CPU hit than if you run GB with an XT Live or Pro?

One thing I think that you can do for sure is dial-in the sound loaded in the XT via the GB plug-in for your input track, so you can monitor your wet input sound with very low latency off of the XT, but you record your dry signal so you can re-amp later 100% in-the-box via GB plug-in. Which is cool.

I don't think you can record just dry signal using the various iterations of the Toneport?
Old 15th April 2007
  #63
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

if u use the tonepor as your main interface,it has a bypass mode, or u turn all the modules off so u get dry signal and then use the plugin version to add fx.


so i bought the plugins at last!!!


im very happy

and a few comments

its a little CPU intensive...

didnt like the compressor.

the pre-amps rock for adding a little spark to tracks withough distorting or changing th tone drmatically. similar if u run them through real preamps... havent cmopared them to the real thing. (and i dont think it will sound the same for u high enders ready to jump on this type of comments .)

the echo delay is really good and didnt like the reverb.

and of course the amp models are great with lots of variety for some fast tweeking good for musiains and cmooposers that are not straight up guitarists or tone purist but want a guitar part on their track for demos and even comercial work.

i would want that in adition to the drop down menu for the presets, their should be a "next preset and previous preset to change them faster.

and another compressor with atak, realse, etc
Old 15th April 2007
  #64
Lives for gear
 
ewegogetemtiger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
i swear I read somewhere that it did actually use the pod for processing the plugins...
No, the POD is just a dongle.
Old 15th April 2007
  #65
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
if u use the tonepor as your main interface,it has a bypass mode, or u turn all the modules off so u get dry signal and then use the plugin version to add fx.

Cool, what kind of round-trip latency do you get with the Toneport? At what sample rate? Are you on Mac or PC? I'm curious about how good this 'ToneDirect Monitoring' is.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2007
  #66
Lives for gear
 

i was just reading on a sound on sound article that the tone direct monitoring occurs before your applications buffer, and separate from your app so that it is pretty much 0 latency.

I updated my pod with line6 monkey and it gave me the gearbox app... and a "shell" of the plugin, basically the plugin version but no signal passes through.... those teasers!!

It still doesn't seem like I would gain that much with the plugin version. Yes it would be nice to have as a plugin but it would run my cpu down, plus its not like my podxt pro doesn't already have to be hooked up... might as well just use that. I'm not really getting anything new besides a few bass amps and some of those vocal pres. sigh.. but the gearslut in me still wants it.
Old 15th April 2007
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Spectacle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
i was just reading on a sound on sound article that the tone direct monitoring occurs before your applications buffer, and separate from your app so that it is pretty much 0 latency.

I updated my pod with line6 monkey and it gave me the gearbox app... and a "shell" of the plugin, basically the plugin version but no signal passes through.... those teasers!!

It still doesn't seem like I would gain that much with the plugin version. Yes it would be nice to have as a plugin but it would run my cpu down, plus its not like my podxt pro doesn't already have to be hooked up... might as well just use that. I'm not really getting anything new besides a few bass amps and some of those vocal pres. sigh.. but the gearslut in me still wants it.
You can tweak things and add effects AFTER you track. That alone is worth the price of admission, I'd say.
Old 15th April 2007
  #68
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
i was just reading on a sound on sound article that the tone direct monitoring occurs before your applications buffer, and separate from your app so that it is pretty much 0 latency.


Right, that's what I've read as well. However, a guy on the Line 6 board told me it was more like 10ms round-trip. So I'm interested in feedback from those who actually use the Toneport, since 10ms is attainable with pretty much any USB interface.
Old 15th April 2007
  #69
Gear Maniac
 
Mondo's Avatar
 

i have a buddy that makes joke metal songs with this. its a hell of a lot of fun to play with. i doubt you'd use it to make a pro recording, but we've done overdubs that we never would have thought of without just randomly scrolling through its presets.
Old 15th April 2007
  #70
Lives for gear
 
DontLetMeDrown's Avatar
 

I'm mostly interested in the idea of putting these tones on things other than guitar. I'm also interested in hearing how it sounds on a track recorded thru a high-end pre. I'll find out soon enough. Looks like I'll probably buy them Friday unless I get bored and decide to cave in earlier.
Old 15th April 2007
  #71
Lives for gear
 
turk sanchez's Avatar
CPU report...I am on an Imac g5 1.8 GHZ w/a gig of ram...opened a near finished mix in PTLE (oo2r) 7.3.1...I had maybe 15 URS eq's up...3 or 4 compressorbanks...a URS 1980 and A series Mix EQ and some other misc plugs (digi eq's...deesser...a couple gates etc)...then I put 3 or 4 instances of the Gearbox...a couple tape echos on auxes and an "svt and 8x10" inserted on the bass di track(nice!)...it was running fine then I tried to turn on an amp modeler w/one of the instances while it was "rolling" and my computer hung up...started "spinning (cursor)" and I could not force quit...had to hold in the power button.

Then after reopening and running fine for about 15 minutes I walked away to get tea and left it idle and out of nowhere I heard the fan kck into overdrive and my "systems usage" window (which was allready up) was peaking out like crazy...the fan was louder than I have ever heard it get...I command/Q'd pro tools and that ended it.

It sure sounds nice...I am happy and can work around these issues...print some tracks etc...

good news is I am showing zero latency with it!

D---->
Old 15th April 2007
  #72
js1
Lives for gear
 

Pulled the trigger on it this weekend, and I think I'll keep it. It does sound better than going through the PodXT. Using the Great River as a DI, and NOT using the XT converters gets rid of the gritchy crap that I hate when I use the PodXT itself.

CPU loading (P4 2.53 GHz) is much lower than I expected - pleasant surprise there.

js
Old 15th April 2007
  #73
Gear Addict
 
ptbarnum's Avatar
 

got it a few days ago..
very nice. good interface, good sounds and options. not too big of a cpu hit either. very nice
Old 15th April 2007
  #74
Gear Nut
 
GregP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundone View Post
Right, that's what I've read as well. However, a guy on the Line 6 board told me it was more like 10ms round-trip.
The person misinformed you. I'm on the forum there, so it's weird that I didn't see that thread... but, I've been a bit slack lately since they changed the forum software. <shrug>

The ToneDirect monitoring works brilliantly, and is about as close to zero as you're ever going to get with the CPU processing FX. I've never sussed a way to do the actual metrics, but it's gotta be like a millisecond round trip.

Greg
Old 16th April 2007
  #75
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Hi,

I own a PodXT with bass and FXJunkie packs. Does that mean that if I buy the $125 package I get all XT, bassamps and FXJunkie sounds as plugins in my VST sequencer ?

Is the physical Pod a controller for any amp-emu's you load ?


If the delays sound as well as the floor-modelers I'm sold.


Herwig
Old 16th April 2007
  #76
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
The person misinformed you. I'm on the forum there, so it's weird that I didn't see that thread... but, I've been a bit slack lately since they changed the forum software. <shrug>

The ToneDirect monitoring works brilliantly, and is about as close to zero as you're ever going to get with the CPU processing FX. I've never sussed a way to do the actual metrics, but it's gotta be like a millisecond round trip.

Greg
Awesome, thanks a lot Greg. That's very cool.

One last question on the ToneDirect Monitoring: Can you use it with a different interface other than the TonePort?

From what I've read in this thread and elsewhere, it seems like people get better sounds out of Gearbox using non-Line 6 audio interfaces. However, if you have to forgo the ToneDirect monitoring to use a different audio interface, say a PreSonus or something like that, then Gearbox loses part of its edge when compared with Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 2, etc.

Also, if I buy the Gearbox Gold bundle that includes the Toneport DI, will the DI run at 96khz? And if I later want to buy a Toneport UX2, do I have to re-purchase plug-ins?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I've had a lot of trouble figuring out the nuances of this product from the info I've seen online.




</shrug>
Old 16th April 2007
  #77
Lives for gear
 

To answer one question- any model packs you own are included with the plug in functionality when you buy it. I do not own any model packs, but I have read this in several places.
As far as using a different audio interface, you could always use a DI, plug the DI into the interface you want to use, mute that track, and run the 1/4" out of the DI into the toneport, then you'd be using the tone direct monitoring while recording a dry signal form yoru other interface. If I decide to record through it I will have to do this because protools will not recognize the guitarport as an input. To do this you will need to be running the gearbox software standalone in conjunction with your recording program.
Old 16th April 2007
  #78
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Hmm I suppose that would work eh, the DI signal split... I don't own any L6 hardware or model packs either, hence the reason I'm contemplating the Gearbox Gold.


Not sure if the various iterations of Toneport (Toneport DI, UX1, UX2) are interchangeable as dongles or if you need to buy plug-ins for each one.

Thanks for the info and suggestion.
Old 16th April 2007
  #79
Lives for gear
 
boody's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Hi,

I own a PodXT with bass and FXJunkie packs. Does that mean that if I buy the $125 package I get all XT, bassamps and FXJunkie sounds as plugins in my VST sequencer ?

Is the physical Pod a controller for any amp-emu's you load ?


If the delays sound as well as the floor-modelers I'm sold.


Herwig
packs work, delay sounds great, didn't get the pod to control the plug....

cheers
Budy
Old 18th April 2007
  #80
Gear Nut
 
GregP's Avatar
 

The plug-in is matched to any ONE Line6 device at a time. You will have access via plug-in to all the model packs enabled on THAT device, as well. You do not get any additional models by purchasing the upgrade version of the plug-in (for example, the TonePort's 'preamp' models are not automatically enabled if you're using a device that does not have them).

However, you can transfer the plug-in between any of your Line6 devices using the Monkey. Frankly, I think this system is a hassle, but I've been unable to think of a better compromise that still protects Line6's interests.

The ToneDirect monitoring does not work with other non-Line6 devices. The ToneDirect is essentially a "driver" that operates in parallel with ASIO; therefore it's linked to the Line6 device.

Greg
Old 18th April 2007
  #81
Lives for gear
 

This is making me wonder if I should just sell my pod xt pro and get gearbox silver.

People say it sounds better, the only thing I would be missing is the extra amps. Honestly I only use about 3 or 4 of the amps, which are included in silver anyway. I could actually gain money doing this.

just a little confused about what the toneport di is... is it the same as the ux1 or something all together different.
Old 18th April 2007
  #82
Lives for gear
 
DontLetMeDrown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
You do not get any additional models by purchasing the upgrade version of the plug-in (for example, the TonePort's 'preamp' models are not automatically enabled if you're using a device that does not have them).
Are you sure? Another poster already mentioned that it was that way, but had changed-- this seems to match what I read at the line6 site. Can anyone who has the plugs and doesn't own the toneport chime in on whether or not you get the preamp models without it. I'm probably going to buy them anyway, but it would be nice to have extra stuff, of course.
Old 18th April 2007
  #83
Gear Nut
 
GregP's Avatar
 

You're right, it seems to have changed:

Quote:
For owners of PODxt, TonePort, or GuitarPort, the GearBox™ Plug-In Add-On gives you plug-in operation with the same model set as GearBox Plug-in Silver Bundle, plus any additional models that are standard features of your hardware, and any additional Models you’ve added on.” GearBox Plug-In supports RTAS / AU (Mac®) and RTAS / VST (PC) Plug-In formats and requires you to have your plug-in-activated Line 6 hardware connected via USB. Download/Installation instructions will be emailed to you upon completion of your purchase
So, you DO get the whole Silver Bundle set, which is in turn the same basic set that comes with UX1 or UX2.
Old 18th April 2007
  #84
Here for the gear
 

Allright, this thread made me do it!

I just bought the plugin. I have a Guitarport and using it as a plug in sounds much better than the Guitarport on it's own, I think that's due to bypassing the Guitarport's converters.

Bass models sound great, pre-amp models sound good but being able to use the delays and mod effects on all the tracks I want without having to manually patch and suffer at the hands of guitarport's converters is worth it alone.

Well worth the money, even more so with the April special.
Old 18th April 2007
  #85
Gear Head
 
Soundone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
The plug-in is matched to any ONE Line6 device at a time. You will have access via plug-in to all the model packs enabled on THAT device, as well. You do not get any additional models by purchasing the upgrade version of the plug-in (for example, the TonePort's 'preamp' models are not automatically enabled if you're using a device that does not have them).

However, you can transfer the plug-in between any of your Line6 devices using the Monkey. Frankly, I think this system is a hassle, but I've been unable to think of a better compromise that still protects Line6's interests.

The ToneDirect monitoring does not work with other non-Line6 devices. The ToneDirect is essentially a "driver" that operates in parallel with ASIO; therefore it's linked to the Line6 device.

Greg

Cool, thanks for the clarification, Greg. I think I'm going to try out the Gearbox Gold, looks like a lot of fun! heh
Old 18th April 2007
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Gear Tramp's Avatar
 

There's a 30-day return policy, that's like a fully functional 30-day demo. Why the **** not try it out, main!? I guarantee, you'll like it more than your POD. If you don't you have bad ears. The POD sounds like ****. The plugin sounds like a lot better. Use a QUALITY DI to go into your DAW and slap that GearBox sun of a bitch on there. DO NOT USE THE POD AS A DI OR YOU WILL NOT HEAR MUCH/IF ANY DIFFERENCE. The POD's conversion is worse than anything I've heard since I last heard something that was terrible. Use the GearBox on Vox. Run a screamer into a Marshall JCM800. Run a synth line into the Space Echo. Put the snare through the Soldano.
Old 18th April 2007
  #87
Lives for gear
 

thats why I'm starting to wonder if I even need my podxt pro at all, or if I should sell it and get just the gearbox plug... I'd probably gain some cash too

any opinions?
Old 18th April 2007
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Gear Tramp's Avatar
 

Just evaluate carefully your setup.

1. Do you have ANY FX, amps, model packs, anything on your POD hardware that isn't included in the GearBox list on the line6 site?
Old 18th April 2007
  #89
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

yes u can have direct monitoring and use the plugin at the same time. the plugin works independently from the tone port which its just a dongle.

i track straight to my motu I/O and then use line6 vintage pre-amp which rocks... looks like an API but blue i dont think they modeled it after the api cause thats the "American " model. anyone know what modeled after?


im still a little disappointed on the amount of CPU it takes. i mean i use the waves plugs for 30 tracks and no problems but only 6-10 instances of the the gearbox and cant work no more.
Old 18th April 2007
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Gear Tramp's Avatar
 

Gsilbers, my friend, an amp simulation is going to eat more CPU than an EQ/COMP plug, always, always, always, always.

They just have to work harder. This is true of all the other amp simulations out there as well, the good ones, anyway.

And sometimes, it will. Always. Such is life.

Good to know about the Direct Monitoring for our friends using the Tone Port. Thanks for that info.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump