The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line6 Plugins thoughts
Old 1st April 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup it really impressed me on vocals...drums, guitar, synths... and everything else i threw it at...

very useful indeed...
Very, very surprised by the GearBox plugin.

It sounds nothing like a POD.

And I mean that in the best possible way.
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

after working with it i think i know what you mean...

maybe, just maybe, the pod's software side is better than the hardware side...

recording a direct guitar into a real preamp with the line6 plugin sounds a lot warmer than thru the pod... still the pod has some realtime, real hardware, advantages, especially with the floorboard.... i wish the floorboard could control the plugin also... that would be awesome.
Old 10th April 2007
Gear Addict

just bought the silver pack in conjunction with my podxt, after initially playing around with it it seems cool, havent had a chance to really test it though

are you supposed to record vocals line-in with no hardware preamp and apply the preamp models on that?
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

no, not really... i record the vocals with a hardware preamp and then apply the gearbox plugin as an effect..
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

i have a pod pro xt and have been thinking about the plugin that I can buy for $130, I didn't know about the preamp models that you could get... are they really worth it?
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

I have the guitarport and I just bought the plugin on Friday. So far I am not sure if I love it, especially the preamp models. That was what tipped the scales for me, the thought of possibly getting the URS plugs on the cheap so to speak, but so far I am not sure if they are doing what I'd like them to do. The bass amp plugs are cool (I am a bassist), but again, I am trying to work with them to see if they are just ditortion or if they are actually useable. I really like the echoplex though, which I used to use by plugging out into the guitarport and then returning it to my DAW. We'll see, I have about 4 weeks to return it if I don't like it, so I'll be working them out a lot. They haven't sounded bad though, I will say that.
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

I bought the plugin as an add-on for my PodXT, and as others have said it's a very useful tool to have in your fx arsenal. Just having the line6 echos was enough to convince me not to spend the extra $$$ for the soundtoys' echoboy, nice as it is.

My only complain so far is that the PodXT has to be turned on all the time as a dongle, and if I shut it off, instead of a polite error message, Logic Pro just plain crashes no me. No fun...

But as an all in one 'tone factory' and signal mangler, I think it's a pretty good value.

Keep in mind, to paraphrase and misquote a well-worn Gearslutizm, "Your mileage May Be Horribly Wrong". heh heh
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

so if u have the podx or toneport its only $200 for the plugins right?

and u get the silver bundle? or the same plugs u have on the toneport/podxt?

anyone using the mic preamp models in any other way, like running a synthbass or drumloop ?
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

yes... i have been doing that... and been running all kids of things thru it... sounds nice...

the pres are very useful sometimes, but not very versatile... each model has its limitation but they have good color...
Old 10th April 2007
lwr
Gear Addict

line 6 very kindly gave me a gearbox hardware/software package and i must say its absoultey awesome ! the heavy sounds, i cant get on with much but i expected that. however, all the clean, crunch, slightly heavy sounds are really good. been using it a lot lately as an extra channel along with micing amps.

i use the echo pro a hell of a lot and its so handy to have that in a plug in now.

thumbs up for me !
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

how is the EQ and compressor? i have them on the toneport but seems kinda limited. the compressor only has threshold and gain and the EQ seems not so GUI friendly.

do u get those when u get the plugins?
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

If you have line 6 hardware already, then the plugin is $125 for April only.
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

nice!
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

the compressor is really nice,but you get just two controls..., the eq depends on the preamp/amp model and there´s the basic eq...

i´ve been enjoying the neve and api models most....
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

thank for the replies...

will it make sense to get the plugin if i have toneport AND Guitar rig 2 AND amplitube AND logics guitar amp?
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

well... i have a pod xt a basspod xt guitar rig2 amplitube 2 and revalver and end up using the line6 stuff most... it does have a certain mojo to it...

guitar rig is also very nice,but comparing one to another i think the line6 stuff is better... a bit warmer.. let´s say... i could never get the hang of amplitube,and revalver is horrible to my ears...

there is a thing also about the delays and modulation (fx in general) they sound really good and are better than most plugins i´ve seen in that sense...

i have even been thinking of selling my bass pod xt and getting the bass expansion for my pod xt and using the models in gearbox... (would be the same as the gold bundle..)... so far my only criticism beside the dongle thing is that the bass models included in the silver pack aren´t the good ones in the bass pod... for that i´d need to get the bass expansion for the pod xt..

either that or the gearbox plugin has to start supporting multiple line6 hardware and add support to the awesome but always forgotten (not by me , by line6 ) bass pod xt... what i would really like is all the models on my bass podxt on the plugin also...
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
If you have line 6 hardware already, then the plugin is $125 for April only.
This is so sweet. I was getting ready to buy it at the $200 upgrade anyway. Then I saw this. I bought it, and it's like someone just handed me an extra $75.

And what a versatile collection of sound options. Pick your flavor, add it to whatever you want. Who'd have thunk?
Old 13th April 2007
Gear Addict

If you have some Line 6 compatible device, then the $125 special this month is a no-brainer. The gearbox plugin sounds a lot different than the POD hardware unit. I plugged into a Redeye, and took the DI straight to the DAW, and the instrument thru went to into the POD, which was then also routed to the DAW. I recorded the POD track and the DI track from the same performance. Now, you can access any preset stored on the hardware from within the software, and vice versa. I start an instance of GearBox on the DI track, and A/B it with the POD hardware track: NO COMPARISON. It sounds much, much better. The digital crust of the POD is gone. They claim the alogrithms and models are the same as what is in the POD, so the difference in sound must be solely due to the converters in the POD?!

The GearBox plugin stands up to Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 2, and surpasses them, in my opinion. I've done away with the other two. The interface is the best, in my opinion. Everything is visible in one small window. The vast array of effects, especially the delays, are worth the admission price alone, as far as I'm concerned. The Gold Bundle is where it's at... or if you're using a PODxt Live, like I do, the plugin upgrade for $125 gives you the equivalent of the Gold Bundle.

In a mix, I wouldn't GearBox on guitars, simply because I prefer to use a real amp in almost all cases, but drums & vocals are another story!

The only drawback with this plugin is the way it handles authorization. You MUST have a line6 device attached via USB for it to work. What happens if your Line6 hardware breaks? You lose the plugin, unless you pay to send your unit in to be repaired. I hope they change this in the future. I think everybody who has purchased this is wary of this, but one can only hope they'll honor the customer's requests. It seems all the customer complaints on their forum about the $200 price for the plugin upgrade was enough to cause them to start including the preamp models & some bass models with all upgrades, so hopefully this authorization scheme will change in the future.

I also made the mistake of turning the POD off while the GearBox plugin window was open, and it crashed Pro Tools immediately. So, don't turn the POD off when the plugin is open, ever.

Well worth it, iMO. This is a must-buy for POD afficianados... and if you have a POD laying around that you don't like/use, the plugins are worth checking out. They don't have a demo, but you have 30 days to receive a full refund if you want to return it.
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

i hope they add another compressor though. i have the toneport w/ noplugin yet and didnt like much the compressor.
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
The Gold Bundle is where it's at... or if you're using a PODxt Live, like I do, the plugin upgrade for $125 gives you the equivalent of the Gold Bundle.
you get the gold bundle for $125 with the pod xt live?? I have a pod xt pro and its only coming up as the silver bundle. Thats a little unfair...

Also I have over 40 amps in my pod xt pro. I didn't buy anything extra, these just came with updates. does this mean that I will only be able to use 18 of them that are included in the plugin?
Old 14th April 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry, I meant to say it's the same as the Gold Bundle, minus some amp models.

At first, when you bought the plug-in add on, you were only able to use the amp models & FX that were physically on your Line 6 hardware. They've since amended that (due to customer complaints) and have given everybody who purchased the software the preamp models and some bass amp models. This move stepped it up a lot closer to the full Gold Bundle.

I don't have the Metal Shop, Bass Expansion, or Collector's Classics add on packs installed on my xtLive... if I did, then it would be equivalent to the Gold Bundle.

I only said the Gold Bundle is where it's at because it gives you all the FX. Echo Farm, Mod Farm, Distortion Farm, Amp Farm all in one package, and dirt cheap. If you have an xtLive, you probably already have the FX pack installed, as it came free with the xtLive.

Didn't mean to upset you n8tron! heh If it makes you feel better, I paid $200 for the plug-in just a few weeks before they dropped the price to $125.

p.s. You will be able to use everything that is on your POD, plus you will get the preamp models & some bass amp models & cabinets.
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

gotcha, thanks for all the info 2012
Old 14th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Damn! I hate to give anymore money to Lin6 than I already have. But you guys are convincing me.
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Guitarport and I'm thinking about getting that $125 bundle. I use the GP for scratch tracks a lot and I'm pretty familiar with its sounds. Can it really sound that much better?

Hey 2012, any chance you could post that comparison you did?

My credit card is calling my name now, thanks to you guys fuuck heh
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

yeah i set an alarm on my calendar for the last week in april, gonna re-evaluate my finances and maybe fit this in..... i am EXTREMELY broke... its bad
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

...glad I saw this thread. I just picked up the Gearbox plug in to go with my Pod XT...seems like a great deal to have all those plug in versions of the POD stuff...like somebody else said allready - just the delay alone is worth it...and it's "like I have amp farm" with my LE PT rig.

It is kind of strange that you have to have the POD hooked up for the plug ins to work especially since I don't belive the POD is powering the plugs at all.
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

after reading this thread (and reading the 30days return pollicy) I bought the gearbox plugin and it's pretty good/handy, but I have a lot of crashes since I've installed it. Also, with logic, the pdc doesn't work correct when engaging a preamp, which makes it unsuitable for paralel processing
Then again, for 129dollar it's a good deal, as long as I can figure out how to keep it stable. Anyone else experience any issues?

cheers
Budy
Old 15th April 2007
Gear Addict

I have an XT Pro. If I get the Gear Box add on, all the sounds that are on my XT Pro will show up in the Gear Box software plugin? Including my expansion packs that I have insalled on the XT Pro?

If so, then I'll definately be purchasing.
Old 15th April 2007
lwr
Gear Addict

yes the delay on its own is worth it. my hardware echo/mod/filter pro units are pretty much unused now!

its a neat plugin. clean/crunch guitar sounds awesome with it.
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle waitress View Post
It is kind of strange that you have to have the POD hooked up for the plug ins to work especially since I don't belive the POD is powering the plugs at all.
i swear I read somewhere that it did actually use the pod for processing the plugins...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search