The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IMAC RAM (late 2015) RAM to 64GB or not? Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I think they're desperately trying to jumpstart the iPad as the next-gen, post-PC hardware/OS, and it's just been a little inconvenient that Mac sales are (a) bigger than iPad sales and (b) steady despite not being given the same level of attention (or, for desktop machines, regular updates). This analysis is pretty interesting on that front.

Apple just discontinued the iPad mini_2 and the iPad Air line, replacing it with a single, faster, lower-priced iPad starting at US $329. Since they didn't yet refresh the iPad Pro models as expected, I think that a Mac desktop announcement will be dependent in part on the release schedule of the new iPad Pros. Apple doesn't like to step on the toes of new hardware announcements, and tends to wait a month after one major announcement before making another.

At any rate, I'm not sure we'll see desktops introduced before Apple's World Wide Developer Conference the first week of June. If Apple really wants to underscore the iPad as a computer replacement then releasing it around WWDC would be a signal to developers, so new iMacs could be out in May... or after July. That said, rumors are that the iPad Pro 2 series may be in the process of being manufactured right now, making it possibly available in May... and letting desktops be introduced around WWDC.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Mbp retina 2012 vs iMac late 2015

Hi guys,
Im working on a mbp retina 2012 i7 16GB
Want to go for a iMac late 2015 16GB

Are the performances big.
Using it with protools lots of plugs and vsti
Mostly like Omnisphere etc....

I'm very much in doubt if not just stay with the mbp.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Makhaisingh View Post
Hi guys,
Im working on a mbp retina 2012 i7 16GB
Want to go for a iMac late 2015 16GB

Are the performances big.
A 6/15/2015 MACWORLD test found around 20% overall speed difference between the 27" 2.9GHz 2012 iMac and the 27" 3.3GHz 2015 Retina iMac.

Because of the explosion of portable computing, in the last few years Intel has been scrambling to make its PC chips conserve more power, and that has come at the expense of pure speed gains. So year-to-year speed boosts have been pretty modest.

Again, if you can afford to wait a couple of months you really should. The next desktop iMacs are definitely coming out within six months and their processors and graphics cards will probably yield another 15-20% boost, the connectivity (USB 3.1 Type C, Thunderbolt 2, DisplayPort 1.4) will make the machine much more future-proof (and hold a higher resale value).
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
A 6/15/2015 MACWORLD test found around 20% overall speed difference between the 27" 2.9GHz 2012 iMac and the 27" 3.3GHz 2015 Retina iMac.

Because of the explosion of portable computing, in the last few years Intel has been scrambling to make its PC chips conserve more power, and that has come at the expense of pure speed gains. So year-to-year speed boosts have been pretty modest.

Again, if you can afford to wait a couple of months you really should. The next desktop iMacs are definitely coming out within six months and their processors and graphics cards will probably yield another 15-20% boost, the connectivity (USB 3.1 Type C, Thunderbolt 2, DisplayPort 1.4) will make the machine much more future-proof (and hold a higher resale value).
This iMac will cost me $1400 its used for 5 months still warranty
its a iMac 5k 27" 3.2 GHZ i5 1 TB drive

So I'm just wondering will this be better in performance...and a bigger screens instead a 15" is something thats very welcome...
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Makhaisingh View Post
This iMac will cost me $1400 its used for 5 months still warranty
its a iMac 5k 27" 3.2 GHZ i5 1 TB drive
Not sure warranties transfer with sale, so look into that.

FYI, in the US Apple is selling that model in its refurbished section (only with 8Gb RAM, but you can add your own) with keyboard and Magic Mouse for $1529, a 15% savings off new.

Although it's more expensive than the deal you're looking at, for the extra $129 the advantages of going through Apple include a 14-day returns period, plus a full, as-new 1-year warranty, with the eligibility to purchase $169 Applecare extended warranty to give you three full years warranty if you want.

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display - Apple
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac

iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Not sure warranties transfer with sale, so look into that.

FYI, in the US Apple is selling that model in its refurbished section (only with 8Gb RAM, but you can add your own) with keyboard and Magic Mouse for $1529, a 15% savings off new.

Although it's more expensive than the deal you're looking at, for the extra $129 the advantages of going through Apple include a 14-day returns period, plus a full, as-new 1-year warranty, with the eligibility to purchase $169 Applecare extended warranty to give you three full years warranty if you want.

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display - Apple
Checked t here and the warranty is still valid.
I checked the iMac with protools 32ch all with
sonnox eq and full dynamics.

8 reverbs waves altiverb. Meaning the cpu Hungry
Plug-ins. And cpu was 8%

In 32 latency normally the mbp retina gives spikes
So I think overall the iMac is an improvement
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

If you have to buy now then go for it, it's a solid machine.

Personally, I buy all my Apple hardware from Apple, refurbished, and get the 3-year Applecare warranty. If you were to do that it would cost you an extra $300 + tax + another $100 or so for the RAM upgrade. So that might not be worth it for you.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

FYI, Apple just had a “a small roundtable discussion about the Mac” with five tech writers: Matthew Panzarino, Lance Ulanoff, Ina Fried, John Paczkowski, and John Gruber.

At the meeting they said resdesigned Mac Pros would be out (but not this year). Phil Schiller (senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple) said that new iMacs are in the works slated for release some time this year including “configurations of iMac specifically with the pro customer in mind and acknowledging that our most popular desktop with pros is an iMac.”

Craig Federighi (Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering) also said

Quote:
That is a pretty incredible evolution that we’ve seen over the last decade. The original iMac, you never would’ve thought as remotely touching pro uses. And now you look at today’s 5K iMac, top configs, it’s incredibly powerful, and a huge fraction of what would’ve traditionally — whether it’s audio editing, video editing, graphics, arts and so forth — that would’ve previously absolutely required the Mac Pros of old, are being well-addressed by iMac. But there’s still even further we can take iMac as a high performance, pro system, and we think that form factor can address even more of the pro market.
Old 4th April 2017
Here for the gear
I've been using 64GB of Crucial RAM in my late 2015 maxed out iMac for about a year now. It's been flawless and a joy to work on for both audio and video work. No problems with upping that RAM at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search