The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new IMac late 2015 / old Apogee Ensemble Firewire???? Audio Interfaces
Old 25th December 2015
Here for the gear

new IMac late 2015 / old Apogee Ensemble Firewire????

I am planning to replace my 2012 Macbook Pro with a new 27" Imac since I do not need the portability of a laptop anymore and mine is getting old (resale value).

The only problem that I foresee is that new Imacs do not have any firewire port while I still run an old Apogee Ensemble Fw400 with a Fw800 converter cable on my laptop (with El Capitan still works fine).

Has any of you guys managed to work around this? Fw400 to Fw800 to thunderbolt cables??? Or will I have to throw away the outdated Ensemble if I get the Imac?

Any other issue should I consider on pairing these two?

Thanks.
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Head

had the same dilemma , and decided to move up to thunderbolt and 27" imac , and happier for it .
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Head

A few things to be aware of:

Apogee has apparently stopped support for the firewire Duet at Yosemite, so if you are buying a new 27" iMac with El Capitan (which I did), you have a problem.

Those same late 2015 iMacs cannot be rolled back to Yosemite, either, since the chip profile is too new to exist in Yosemite, or anything earlier.

If you do manage to get a machine with Yosemite, the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter works just fine (as I have a mid-2015 MacBook still on Yosemite, doing just this).

I don't know what your experience has been, but Apogee's Maestro software has been more buggy with each OS update, particularly with the older interfaces. I often have to plug and unplug the firewire Duet a few times before it is recognized, even on an old MacBook (2009) with a native firewire port. Once it's recognized, it's fine.
Old 25th December 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks JohnL and corbo.

Yes I am aware that Apogee has stopped support. I switched to El Capitan on my Macbook Pro 2012 and it did not affect my Ensemble firewire performance so I'm going to give it a shot with the new iMac. I do not have the cash to purchase both a new Mac and Ensemble thunderbolt right away.

I plan on getting a good Firewire 400 to 800 cable and the official Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt cable and pray for it to work while I save up for a new Ensemble. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to sell the old one and temporarily get a Duet.
Old 26th December 2015
Here for the gear

Update: I got my new Imac 27" today which of course comes with el Capitan. I downloaded the old Ensemble Firewire software, run installation, connected with new Apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter: works! No issues so far.
Old 16th January 2016
Here for the gear

This is great news for me. I'm thinking about finally replacing my 2009 mac mini, but have my FW Ensemble to consider...

Thanks for the report.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

I see you have had your question solved but I can also verify that my own FireWire devices work fine on the late-2015 iMac. I am using a thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable then a FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 adapter to use my Digi 003 essentially as a sound card for my iTunes and other computer output to be routed to my monitors (esp since I can't have the Avid CoreAudio installed - to play non-Pro Tools audio through my HD Native - due to CoreAudio driver incompatibility with Native Instruments in OSX 10.10 and above).
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear

I know this thread is old but could you send links to the working adapters that you found? I only see male FW800 connections when I search.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search