The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Editing Different Instances of the Same Plugin Over Multiple Tracks
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Editing Different Instances of the Same Plugin Over Multiple Tracks

This is something I've been wanting to see for a while, but if it's a feature in any of the major DAW software, I missed it. For example, if I could throw a Waves SSL Channel plugin on 2 or 4 rhythm guitar tracks and edit one parameter on each instance of the plugin just by manipulating that parameter on one instance, as opposed to making changes on one track and then copying those settings to the other tracks. This might work for the basic set up of tom tracks or layered vocal tracks. Seems like it would make the process of creating the effects chain for a group of tracks that are all running the same chain a good bit faster and easier.

So the question is, is a feature like this on any of the popular DAW software and I just wasn't perceptive enough to pick up on it? Is there another way of doing the same thing? Obviously just sending all the tracks to a bus and applying the effect to the bus would be somewhat similar but not the same, but if you can do that in most software, it seems like this would be an obvious feature choice too.
Old 22nd January 2007
How about saving the settings as a user preset and then selecting that in all the plugs? Not ideal, I realize -- you still have to go into each plug to pull up the setting -- but once you've got one plug adjusted right, at least you can get the same settings into the rest without TOO much effort.

My own DAW (Sonar 5) lets you ctrl-click-drag an FX plug from one track "FX bin" to another (do NOT ask me why they decided to call individual track FX loops "bins"... it boggles the mind). The individual plug settings (as well as send and return settings) are copied along with the plug. And that would be a little closer still, I guess. Still, you'd have to go through that all over again to change a setting.

Another way to go in my DAW would be to set up automation on the FX parameters and then copy the automation from one track to the rest. I'm not SURE but I THINK you could set it up so that one automation controlled the rest -- but I'm definitely a bit hazy on that.

But -- I think -- the closest my DAW can come to what you want is to group (yoke) the FX sends and returns for the selected tracks and control those as one... but that kind of grouping stops on the "outside" of the plugs in Sonar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search