The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I don't like Echoboy Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 6th April 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Darth Vader-style GUIs seem to be the norm these days... Horrible.
I hope SoundToys receives this (constructive) criticism and takes it into consideration.

Write them directly (politely, of course) and request a better GUI if you agree.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Plus 1 for Echoboy as well. Remember that one of the founders of Eventide, started Soundtoys so you are getting a lot of years of experience with digital delays plus the features that were just not practical in hardware back in the day.

I get amazed just auditioning the presets on the versatility of EB.

Play with it more, you might like it.

Jim
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Boz Imperial Delay is also awesome.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Maniac
I like FXPansion's Bloom for creative effects. And having used Logic's Tape Delay for ages I've generally replaced that with Replika, they're similar but I like the quick interface of Replika and the extra features.
Also really liked Timeless but didn't have the cash for it when I demoed it! UAD Space Echo is a nice character delay but I wish the delay times could be longer, and now it's pulled from sale I strongly doubt they'll be updating it at all.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Boz Imperial Delay is also awesome.
Just a heads-up that this is on sale today for 75 Canadian (or about $59 US)... Great delay at a no-brainer price!

https://www.long-mcquade.com/71650/P...-_Download.htm
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presocratic View Post
I find that it sounds fine, but I don't like the interface.
yeah. Sounds nice, glad I bought it; but I want interfaces that are straightforward, not looking like a kid's toy. because i'm a grownup.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

I too am an ECHOBOY fan. This was engineered by the folks who designed the Eventide (clockworks) stuff back in the day. If you don't like it, I too suggest you spend more time with it. As mentioned, there are a ton of hidden options under the GUI to allow you to pretty much sculpt your delays if you don't like one of the hundreds of presets.

Yes, the eventide stuff was digital too so if you are expecting an ECHO PLEX, you might not like it as much. I like their implementations of analog gear presets but it is in the ear of the listener.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Echoboy may sound good until you try the units it emulates.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip1 View Post
It'd be great if you could post a couple of samples. I've heard an Echoplex which is impressive. Never heard a side by side.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Addict

I'm sure echoboy is absolutely fine. Too many people who know what they are doing who rave about it for it to be anything less than superb.

Not my platform or kind of plugin though. Just don't need it. I've got shedloads of delays. I really like Echoes and UberMod and Delay8 by Tonecarver - https://tonecarver.wordpress.com/delay8/

Check out the skin by ENV1 for Delay8, it's superb.

I don't really want or need any more plugins, but echoboy is on the list of stuff to get when I get rich.

EDIT:

Oh, I've wanted PSP-608 delay for a while too - that's a similar vein. Just out of my price reach. It was on sale recently and I thought I would buy it, even though it was still quite expensive (for me). When I found out I had to pay VAT on top, I cancelled the sale. No biggie. If they had told me that at the beginning, I would have bought it, but leaving it till the end smacked of manipulation - just tell me how much the damn thing costs. I'm sure others will say how it's 'how our web commerce software works' etc. - no big deal. Like I said, I don't need any more delay plugins. If you have the money though, psp-608 is probably one that could give echoboy a run for its money.

As has been mentioned in this thread, check out Echoes, that is definitely under-rated as well.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip1 View Post
nah,that never works out..just let it be its own thing.
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
nah,that never works out..just let it be its own thing.

Exactly. It's software for one, so hopefully I don't need to point out the glaring inconsistencies in the general argument. :-)

But RoundBadge is right, just take it on its own terms.

There are a couple of sites dedicated to the echoplex with patches for popular vsts to emulate it. For me, Echoes and Delay8 (which I find a more than acceptable substitute for the psp-608 I didn't buy), cover this base more than enough.

I have another dozen paid for plugs to fill the gap, without the excellent freeware available (arc-dev ET-301 is good too). Without mentioning the TAL delays which do a similar job. And the GS-201.

Damn, I didn't realise I had so many delays that I've bought and never used more than a handful of times. It really is time to stop buying plugins, if I want to use the ones I've already bought. Oh, and I need to install the ones I haven't even downloaded yet.

Saturation point, much?

<cough> Audio Damage Dubstation </cough>
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Guru

I use hardware and software delays.
Nagra,M79,pedals,H Delay, Echoboy, Massey whatever
Just different tools/flavors.
Old 23rd June 2016
lxm
Gear Addict

Echoboy is a HUGE part of my sound
Old 23rd June 2016
I'd like to update my comment earlier in this thread: the last couple of months I have been using EB a lot more--and I've really grown to like it. Does its emulations match the (my) hardware? Couldn't care less. If I want an E1010, I use the E1010. The 'boy is being used as the thing it is, a really good delay plugin. What it doesn't do is off-the-wall weird, but that hole is covered by the rest of the bunch. Sometimes regular is what's needed.

r,
j,
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSTSlut View Post
Exactly. It's software for one, so hopefully I don't need to point out the glaring inconsistencies in the general argument. :-)

But RoundBadge is right, just take it on its own terms.

There are a couple of sites dedicated to the echoplex with patches for popular vsts to emulate it. For me, Echoes and Delay8 (which I find a more than acceptable substitute for the psp-608 I didn't buy), cover this base more than enough.

I have another dozen paid for plugs to fill the gap, without the excellent freeware available (arc-dev ET-301 is good too). Without mentioning the TAL delays which do a similar job. And the GS-201.

Damn, I didn't realise I had so many delays that I've bought and never used more than a handful of times. It really is time to stop buying plugins, if I want to use the ones I've already bought. Oh, and I need to install the ones I haven't even downloaded yet.

Saturation point, much?

<cough> Audio Damage Dubstation </cough>
Every hardware unit will sound different anyway. The tape and parts will wear in different ways and fatigue at different rates depending what the user has been doing with it and how hard they've been driving it.

No two analogue devices sound the same.

I'm sure the Echoboy emulation is very close to the exit unit that Soundtoys studied.

Its not how close one thing is to another really, if anyone thinks that then they are missing the point. The emphasis should be about what you can do with what you have.

What sets the pros apart is they have already realised this and the "this vs that" arguments are quite counter-productive and get in the way of actually making good music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search