The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 and M-Audio 2626?
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Windows 10 and M-Audio 2626?

I know that 2626 is a legacy product on Windows 10, but anyone have any success stories with this combination?
Show replies
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
I know that 2626 is a legacy product on Windows 10, but anyone have any success stories with this combination?
Hi,
The last drivers for it are from 2013.
If and that is a big IF the drivers even install you will probably have to install the legacy windows 7 firewire driver to make it work. Even then it will be a roll of the dice if it works.

Chris
Show replies
Old 14th December 2015
Gear Maniac

I have a 2626, running windows 10.
I didn't have to install any legacy firewire drivers.
Just downloaded the latest driver from M-Audio and it works fine.
Show replies
Old 15th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfriday View Post
I have a 2626, running windows 10.
I didn't have to install any legacy firewire drivers.
Just downloaded the latest driver from M-Audio and it works fine.
What's your FW-chipset?

Thanks
Show replies
Old 17th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Im using a TI add-in card.
Show replies
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Ok, thanks. I have a VIa-based desktop (worked flawlessly with win7) so we'll see..
Show replies
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, everything works as it should, just tried it. Great!!!

edit: my firewire is
Code:
FireWire (IEEE 1394): LSI Corporation FW322/323 [TrueFire] 1394a Controller (rev 70)
Show replies

Last edited by Finnish; 14th January 2016 at 02:39 PM..
Old 3rd February 2017 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, everything works as it should, just tried it. Great!!!
Is your Profire 2626 running fine on Windows 10?
I am on the fence to upgrading from Win 7 to 10, but I am not sure if everything runs OK.
Especially, I've read about problems with not being able to access all 26 i/o on the Profire. As I am using 24 analog i/o (added 2x Behringer ADA8000's via ADAT to the 2626), I am curious about this.
Show replies
Old 25th August 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

^ can anyone give some information about my question in the post above, please?
Show replies
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

It should work! I'm using only one ADA8000 but works just fine
Show replies
Old 25th August 2017 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
It should work! I'm using only one ADA8000 but works just fine
Thanx! Can you please confirm that your DAW sees all 26 inputs? No need to have a second ADA8000 hooked up.
Show replies
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

My setup is far away right now so I'm not able to confirm right now. But, I'll try to remember that!
Show replies
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

M-Audio has current drivers up to Win 10 and a bunch of Mac versions. It should work fine.
Like all Firewire interfaces, you want to be sure your card has a TX Instruments Chipset.
Generic chips are known for having issues with dropouts and connectivity issues.
Show replies
Old 26th May 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

I got my Profire 2626 (for the most part) running on Windows 10. But I am still having an issue:

It seems to forget part of the configuration that I am doing in the Profire control panel, like channel volumes and pans. The control panel UI shows the right values, but the card itself does not reflect this after a reboot. After each startup of Windows, I have to open the M-Audio Profire control panel, load a saved configuration and then touch a few faders and knobs to post the actual values down to the Profire hardware. Even after a clean install of Windows, the problem persisted.

The card is connected to a TI PCI FW card. The same problem existed with my older MoBo where the Profire hung on the internal FW port.
Show replies
Old 8th August 2020
grx
Here for the gear

Know this is an old post but some of us still have working Profire 2626's and have felt the need to upgrade our systems to some of the newest ones. I thought I would chime-in on the subject recently and my discoveries for anyone out there currently pulling their hair out trying to get this to work.

I recently upgraded my system to an MSI Pro Carbon B450 AC and Ryzen 2700X eight core. Although I really wanted to stay with Windows 7, unfortunately Windows 7 is no longer supported by the chipsets on modern motherboards so I basically had to upgrade to Windows 10 kicking and screaming.

As far as the 2626, it's a dead dog on a modern Windows 10 system. I installed a SYBA pci-e firewire card into the system (this received great reviews about it working in 10) and the newest driver 6.1.1. Could not get the 2626 to work reliably no matter what I did. I worked on this system for an entire week trying various things and various drivers (including the downloaded Windows Legacy driver for 1394 and even third party drivers I found). All other sound devices were disabled for testing.

In desperation, I even tried Another Firewire Card that was even more expensive and currently sold at Sweetwater, the SIIG NN-E38012-S3 V3 . I had high hopes that it was only a 1394 issue and the SIIG would solve this. It didn't. I had the same issues with the ProFire 2626 playing for about 30 seconds followed by it locking up.

This problem DOES NOT appear to be an issue with using 1394 with Windows 10, not even with the most recent version of 10. Nor does it appear to be an issue with using either the SYBA or SIIG firewire PCI_E cards. Further more, from what I found the Legacy 1394 driver was not needed and the card operated fine with the newer TI 1394 default driver.

Why?

Here's the kicker................>>>The M-Audio Firewire 410 WORKS<<<. I own this one too which I put out of service when i upgraded to the 2626.
When I could never get the 2626 to operate, I decided to just try the 410 before buying a new device. The drivers are the old ones from 2008!

Since the 410 works and it operates with either 1394 card (I swapped these), that puts the entire issue of the 2626 failing to operate squarely on it's drivers. So with M-Audio abandoning this device, we are left with a once very expensive paperweight. Note: I did try another older driver for the 2626, I believe it was version 6.09 which also did not operate. I did not investigate any possible drivers further back.

This is a real shame and is completely on M-Audio. The Firewire 410 is an older device using even older drivers. If the 410 can work fine in Windows 10, that means the 2626 should have technically been able to (even if you reduced some of the functionality) outside of M-Audio dumping the product and it's users.

I hope this write up helps.
Show replies
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

I'm still rocking a profire 2626 with windows 10 just fine. The best cards for these have TI chipsets. Looks like yours is not TI. This is the one I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Show replies
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, thread still alive!

Nowadays I'm using my (three) as standalone preamps via ADAT
Show replies
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grx View Post

I recently upgraded my system to an MSI Pro Carbon B450 AC and Ryzen 2700X eight core.
EDIT: Looks like yours is TI chipset. Should be plug and play. I would delete all downloaded drivers and update driver from device manager. Make sure your profire is default audio in settings. I would also look into Ryzen with firewire. There's a lot of good info on Ryzen with thunderbolt in the today we build our pc thread for optimizing Ryzen CPU's.
Show replies
Old 10th August 2020 | Show parent
grx
Here for the gear

Yeah, both 1394 cards are TI. All drivers were updated repeatedly through device manager. Considering the fact that the M-Audio Firewire 410 works but the Profire 2626 pops/cuts out after 30 seconds with both Syba and Siig, I'm not leaning toward the 1394 being the issue. The 2626 driver was just locking up. It did this however it was used, including just playing regular audio off youtube.

After a week of trying to get the 2626 to work (including 3 full reinstalls of Windows) I'm done.
I just don't think it works on a new MB and 10.

But, we will have confirmation of this soon enough. The old guts I pulled out of this machine are headed into a different computer which will also get Windows 10 and the 2626 for another test.
Show replies
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Mine working fine too although I use it as an expander not as an interface.
There are tons of mentions of the 2626 on win 10 pm this forum, and usually when people are having issues it's because they're not using the right card, even when they think they are.

It's not enough to have a card with a Texas Instruments chipset, it has to the right Ti chipset, and even Sweetwater aren't getting this right - they're stocking and recommending the wrong card.
The recommended chipset changed quite a few years ago and a lot of people haven't caught on to that.

I can't remember what the chipset name is off the top of my head but I wrote it in a fairly recent thread on the 2626. If you're having issues, do a search and make sure you're using the right chipset.
Show replies
Old 11th August 2020 | Show parent
grx
Here for the gear

I believe the chip you are referring to is the TI XIO2213B. This is the chip I'm using.
When the 2626 failed to operate with Syba, I installed the Siig. For what it's worth, the XIO2213B Syba and the Sweetwater Siig worked just as poorly with the 2626.

Again, the Firewire 410 works with either card. The 2626 works properly with nothing.

Does anyone actually have this successfully working with a motherboard from the past 2 years?
Show replies
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Mine works fine on an Aorus Pro board, Z390 chipset.
Not sure if that's recent enough to be relevant though.
Show replies
Old 7th October 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grx View Post
Know this is an old post but some of us still have working Profire 2626's and have felt the need to upgrade our systems to some of the newest ones. I thought I would chime-in on the subject recently and my discoveries for anyone out there currently pulling their hair out trying to get this to work.

I recently upgraded my system to an MSI Pro Carbon B450 AC and Ryzen 2700X eight core. Although I really wanted to stay with Windows 7, unfortunately Windows 7 is no longer supported by the chipsets on modern motherboards so I basically had to upgrade to Windows 10 kicking and screaming.

As far as the 2626, it's a dead dog on a modern Windows 10 system. I installed a SYBA pci-e firewire card into the system (this received great reviews about it working in 10) and the newest driver 6.1.1. Could not get the 2626 to work reliably no matter what I did. I worked on this system for an entire week trying various things and various drivers (including the downloaded Windows Legacy driver for 1394 and even third party drivers I found). All other sound devices were disabled for testing.

In desperation, I even tried Another Firewire Card that was even more expensive and currently sold at Sweetwater, the SIIG NN-E38012-S3 V3 . I had high hopes that it was only a 1394 issue and the SIIG would solve this. It didn't. I had the same issues with the ProFire 2626 playing for about 30 seconds followed by it locking up.

This problem DOES NOT appear to be an issue with using 1394 with Windows 10, not even with the most recent version of 10. Nor does it appear to be an issue with using either the SYBA or SIIG firewire PCI_E cards. Further more, from what I found the Legacy 1394 driver was not needed and the card operated fine with the newer TI 1394 default driver.

Why?

Here's the kicker................>>>The M-Audio Firewire 410 WORKS<<<. I own this one too which I put out of service when i upgraded to the 2626.
When I could never get the 2626 to operate, I decided to just try the 410 before buying a new device. The drivers are the old ones from 2008!

Since the 410 works and it operates with either 1394 card (I swapped these), that puts the entire issue of the 2626 failing to operate squarely on it's drivers. So with M-Audio abandoning this device, we are left with a once very expensive paperweight. Note: I did try another older driver for the 2626, I believe it was version 6.09 which also did not operate. I did not investigate any possible drivers further back.

This is a real shame and is completely on M-Audio. The Firewire 410 is an older device using even older drivers. If the 410 can work fine in Windows 10, that means the 2626 should have technically been able to (even if you reduced some of the functionality) outside of M-Audio dumping the product and it's users.

I hope this write up helps.
Will a firewire to usb 3.0 adapter work? USB 3.0 is much faster than firewire . I found several adapters for sale on amazon.com
Show replies
๐Ÿ“ Reply