The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iCon QCon Pro VS Behringer X Touch
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
The plugin control is different from any other HUI based controller, how??

Plugin control usually is such huge a mess in Pro Tools.

I think you'll be better off with your 003.

I found a couple videos and watched how the Qcon controlled the plugins. Same as my 003 does it. Parameters pop up on the scribble strip and the encoders adjust and you page over for my plugin parameters if there are more than can fit on 1 page. thats the same way the 003 does it.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid City View Post
I found a couple videos and watched how the Qcon controlled the plugins. Same as my 003 does it. Parameters pop up on the scribble strip and the encoders adjust and you page over for my plugin parameters if there are more than can fit on 1 page. thats the same way the 003 does it.
You should check this out...

The ProMIDIco System: Control Pro Tools plug-ins with a MIDI controller and Controllermate software! | DNA Music Labs
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Head

Thats pretty cool. Wayyyyy tooo much set up IMO. I really dont feel like spending hours programming for every plugin i have hahaha. Really cool idea though.
Old 26th February 2016
I'd like to know if it's worth upgrading to the qcon pro? I am currently using the frontier alphatrack, old now but it's been rock solid, I really miss having more than 1 fader, even though the alphatrack is great.

I was thinking of waiting until they release version 2...
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Head

I recently bought the x touch and it works well.
What's cool is that Behringer just released new firmware that allows remote control of their x air mixers and other equipment via the Ethernet port of the x touch. Neither the qcon or the mackie units can do that. This is very useful for me as I have a Behringer x air mixer and can now fully control the unit via x touch. Now the unit's color Lcd screens work great.
Old 20th May 2016
Here for the gear

Maybe this makes no sense but I couldn't spot the dB indicators on the Qcon. It has led lights next to the faders but it doesn't indicate if you, lets say, cut 3 or 6 dB on the volume. I suppose you would have to look at the screen for that. Would this be annoying in anyway?
Regards,
Toon
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Head

How acurate are the led meters on the qcon vs x touch? Very interested, I'm currently running cubase 7.5
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear
Like some others here I needed a new controller to replace my old Logic control. The Behringer XTouch and Qcon Pro x were the main contenders to choose from I'd agree that the Qcon looked more like a pro product but has a much bigger foot print. Behringer have published a number of helpful videos that demonstrate practical use on the unit on different DAW's which gave me a lot more confidence that it would work with my setup. As per usual Qcon simply haven't put any serious resources into promoting their flagship product leaving only very brief vids on un-boxing and 2 minute summaries at Namm or Musicmesse. In the end I decided on the Behringer bang for buck, footprint ,expand-ability (8 channel expanders on the way) and compatible with the DAW's that I use the most. In this respect the qcon strikes me as possibly style over substance for me in this price bracket Bheringer has a clear edge and best of all its cheaper than the Qcon.
Old 13th May 2017
Hey guys, I'm deciding between this two!

I wouldn't like to spend much so for either of these I would have to buy second hand
I have two questions:
1) I use ableton, which one is more integrated?
2) With the minimum movement you can do on the faders, how much is it in dB in the software? (like 0.1 dB or 0.2 or whatever)

P.S. I also thought about buying many novation launch control xl (like 3 or 4) to have physical control over many channels but…I don't think that would be a good choice xD I looked at using touchable on an ipad also
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Addict

@ Nyroh I'm no expert , but I think Ableton Live is the least Mackie protocol(s) compatible DAW out there so I would recommend researching that aspect of Live as much as different features of hardware controllers .
I do know on Behringers X Touch video for Ableton Live the guy just wiggles the faders & not a lot else .

I hope others more expert than me can contribute more on this for you.
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
@ Nyroh I'm no expert , but I think Ableton Live is the least Mackie protocol(s) compatible DAW out there so I would recommend researching that aspect of Live as much as different features of hardware controllers .
I do know on Behringers X Touch video for Ableton Live the guy just wiggles the faders & not a lot else .

I hope others more expert than me can contribute more on this for you.
I read a post in which was said that the x touch can actually integrate about everything but I wanted to know more specifically if one was better than the other
They're around the same price and the only other thing that seems well built is the presonus faderport 8 even if
- it enormous
- it only has one pan pot (even if it seems like you can change the panning on every channel at the same time using the faders in "pan mode")

On the other hand, for the integration with ableton, the faderport seems to be THE BEST till now. You can check out the ableton and EVERY OTHER PROGRAM integration here
https://www.mi7.co.jp/products/preso...N_01122017.pdf
(page 26 for Ableton)
Old 15th May 2017
Faderport 8 is not 'enormous' at all. It's about the size of an LP record, so very little footprint :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyroh View Post
I read a post in which was said that the x touch can actually integrate about everything but I wanted to know more specifically if one was better than the other
They're around the same price and the only other thing that seems well built is the presonus faderport 8 even if
- it enormous
- it only has one pan pot (even if it seems like you can change the panning on every channel at the same time using the faders in "pan mode")

On the other hand, for the integration with ableton, the faderport seems to be THE BEST till now. You can check out the ableton and EVERY OTHER PROGRAM integration here
https://www.mi7.co.jp/products/preso...N_01122017.pdf
(page 26 for Ableton)
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Faderport 8 is not 'enormous' at all. It's about the size of an LP record, so very little footprint :-)
Sorry I dind't explain
What I mean is that for the space that it occupies, the amount of controls is not really good
They could have used a smaller footprint or could have added more controls
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
Sorry I dind't explain
What I mean is that for the space that it occupies, the amount of controls is not really good
They could have used a smaller footprint or could have added more controls
I suppose you are referring to the wrist support area in front of the faders...

The rest of the real estate seems v economically used up IMO :-)

I think to have more controls they would have designed it with a larger footprint, hence why it instead utilises the shift controls to double up most of the buttons' functions.
Old 15th May 2017
Completely agree

I don't really know
I'm a producer and as I said also from this year I try to mix and master tracks for friends
I don't actually know if buying a control surface is even the right thing to do for me but I thought "well, I don't have direct control over anything in my studio a part from the monitors volume ._." and the last track I mixed I thought that the mixing and also the producing could have been much faster if I had a control surface

What do you guys think?
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
Completely agree

I don't really know
I'm a producer and as I said also from this year I try to mix and master tracks for friends
I don't actually know if buying a control surface is even the right thing to do for me but I thought "well, I don't have direct control over anything in my studio a part from the monitors volume ._." and the last track I mixed I thought that the mixing and also the producing could have been much faster if I had a control surface

What do you guys think?
If you're asking whether real faders and knobs are preferable to moving and clicking a mouse, then the answer would be yes everyday of the week, in my humble opinion :-)
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Addict

I currently have the Steinberg CC121 controller: http://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/...&itok=UB5TTotf

The CC121 is pretty nice and very stable, but I would love to have a controller with more channels and functions like the X-Touch or the Qcon Pro-X. The only thing that's holding me back is the AI knob on the CC121 (the knob that controls anything your mouse points too), I would miss it so much if I went for the X-Touch or Pro-x. If only they had a similar knob...
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dave View Post
I currently have the Steinberg CC121 controller: http://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/...&itok=UB5TTotf

The CC121 is pretty nice and very stable, but I would love to have a controller with more channels and functions like the X-Touch or the Qcon Pro-X. The only thing that's holding me back is the AI knob on the CC121 (the knob that controls anything your mouse points too), I would miss it so much if I went for the X-Touch or Pro-x. If only they had a similar knob...
A Griffin Powermate can do the same thing. I've been using it for last 8 months. Works in or outside the DAW. Also controls plugins.

Ps the X-Touch is great. I've also used two ICON products. The QCon Pro (not the X) was fine with a few small but usable glitches. The Platform M was not usable and got replaced with the X-Touch.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
A Griffin Powermate can do the same thing. I've been using it for last 8 months. Works in or outside the DAW. Also controls plugins.

Ps the X-Touch is great. I've also used two ICON products. The QCon Pro (not the X) was fine with a few small but usable glitches. The Platform M was not usable and got replaced with the X-Touch.
Nice, so you use the Powermate alongside your X-touch?
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
The only thing that's holding me back is the AI knob on the CC121 (the knob that controls anything your mouse points too), I would miss it so much if I went for the X-Touch or Pro-x. If only they had a similar knob...
The Presonus Faderport 8 has such a knob and does everything the X-Touch or Pro-x can doo too :-) I just bought mine new for $500.
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Nice, so you use the Powermate alongside your X-touch?
I do indeed. Have sitting right next to it. I tend to use it when not using Console 1 plugins.

As mentioned above also the Faderport 8 has this built in.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

I own both the X Touch and Presonus CS18AI. The build quality is equal IMO and both work fantastic for their purpose. I like the X touch much better than the MCU Pro, that Ive owned as well. Smaller footprint and better scribble strip readouts. I was concerned about jittery faders for automation but I haven't experienced that problem that others have claimed to come across and I use automation quite a bit.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Presonus Faderport 8 has such a knob and does everything the X-Touch or Pro-x can doo too :-) I just bought mine new for $500.
How do you like it? What DAW are you using it with?
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Mercury View Post
I own both the X Touch and Presonus CS18AI. The build quality is equal IMO and both work fantastic for their purpose. I like the X touch much better than the MCU Pro, that Ive owned as well. Smaller footprint and better scribble strip readouts. I was concerned about jittery faders for automation but I haven't experienced that problem that others have claimed to come across and I use automation quite a bit.
Yep the faders are smooth on the X-Touch. I think Behringer sorted that pretty quickly with a driver update. I've used the Mackie as well and I would say yes the Behringer is as good or maybe better.
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Do you find a problem the fact that it has only 1 knob for panning and everything else? I know you can control pans with the faders but I didn't get my hands on that so I can't tell how it feels
Old 21st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
How do you like it? What DAW are you using it with?
I'm using it with Presonus Studio One, so it's been designed to integrate seamlessly with that particular DAW, even though it can also be universally used with the others. I will report back soon, as it has only just arrived, but I couldn't find a single negative review for it, plus I got it for a good price. I bought it to replace my MCU Pro for three reasons: 1) MCU doesn't have an overlay card for Studio One. 2) The smaller footprint of the Faderport 8 works much better on my desk. 3) Seamless optimisation for my DAW.

Quote:
Do you find a problem the fact that it has only 1 knob for panning and everything else? I know you can control pans with the faders but I didn't get my hands on that so I can't tell how it feels
Depends on personal preference. Personally I'm quite happy using the faders for other functions too.

Remember it also has the other main push-button knob which adjusts parameters for channel and bank scrolling; controlling Master level; horizontal & vertical zooming; timeline scrolling; nudging; scrolling playback cursor; dropping makers etc
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm using it with Presonus Studio One, so it's been designed to integrate seamlessly with that particular DAW, even though it can also be universally used with the others. I will report back soon, as it has only just arrived, but I couldn't find a single negative review for it, plus I got it for a good price. I bought it to replace my MCU Pro for three reasons: 1) MCU doesn't have an overlay card for Studio One. 2) The smaller footprint of the Faderport 8 works much better on my desk. 3) Seamless optimisation for my DAW.

Depends on personal preference. Personally I'm quite happy using the faders for other functions too.

Remember it also has the other main push-button knob which adjusts parameters for channel and bank scrolling; controlling Master level; horizontal & vertical zooming; timeline scrolling; nudging; scrolling playback cursor; dropping makers etc

Thanks, I'm just getting back to using a DAW and am planning on using Studio One so your opinion of the combo is definitely of interest to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search