The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Listen to itunes thru ProTools? Difficult.Need Solution
Old 20th January 2007
Here for the gear

Question Listen to itunes thru ProTools? Difficult.Need Solution

Hey Everyone,

I monitor thru Pro Tools HD3 system on a new Mac Pro. Externally clocked, usually at 48k via Big Ben. I monitor thru a MultiMax using the Analog out of my 192 i/o via dsub connector.

The Digi hardware doesn't like to let go of the system, it seems. When trying to play itunes, I got it to work, but it played fast, wrong sampling rate. I never was able to get it right.

I'm exploring the ADS Instant Music box, which spits the audio out USB, thru some nice convertors, to RCA, then get it into my monitor controller.

Does anyone have a more elegant way to do this, w/o having to quit PTools everytime?

Also, playing back DVDs is problematic as well.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.!

Mr. A.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Take your opical out from your computer and route it to your optical in on the 192.
I purchased a Hosa Optical SPDIF to AES convertor for 50 bucks so I can get realtime sample conversion.
I run all my Core audio stuff this way I would always get tired of quitting protools to run Logic, iTunes, etc.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

T_R_S...Will this solve the problem? I have been wondering about this for years. If this works, I will be in your debt. I'll talk to my boss abou the cable tomorrow.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Take your opical out from your computer and route it to your optical in on the 192.
I purchased a Hosa Optical SPDIF to AES convertor for 50 bucks so I can get realtime sample conversion.
I run all my Core audio stuff this way I would always get tired of quitting protools to run Logic, iTunes, etc.
Yeah, exactly what I was gonna do. Optical S/PDIF to AES into my Rosetta 800 from my G5.

But I no longer run any core apps except iTunes and for that I can't justify it.

But it should work.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think this is the cheap deal to solve this.

http://store.djhardwares.com/hooddaliopst.html

I just can't use iTunes to refrence anything because it sounds so wack. I know it sounds like a pain, but I import CD's into Pro Tools.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I just can't use iTunes to refrence anything because it sounds so wack. I know it sounds like a pain, but I import CD's into Pro Tools.
I haven't noticed any problems monitoring out of iTunes... Are you sure you don't have any of their wacky sound 'enhancing' functions enabled?

I use a Benchmark DAC-1. The AES input is fed from my digi enc. out of 192, the optical input is fed from the G5's optical out. I often have both apps running simultaneously, and just switch back and forth on the DAC-1's input selector to reference. Works great.

Never had much luck using Digi's H/W as output source... I'd always have to reboot every time I switched apps to free up the H/W.
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

TRS,

Tried your suggestion. I was able to play a CD via itunes thru the Digi hardware, but only after I switched the i/o 192 to clock from the Mac's toslink, instead of my Big Ben.
Thought I had the problem solved till the next day. I couldn't boot up the MacPro. Tried 4 times with no luck until I disconnected the optical in/out cables to the Mac. Then it booted right up. Very Strange!
How does this connection affect boot-up?

Thanks,

Mr. A.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't use Coreaudio any more. Too many problems. Just plugged my G5 Optical out thru my DAC-1 Optical in. Works great for me...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search