The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So you think UA will do a Tape Plugin?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

So you think UA will do a Tape Plugin?

I was checking out a poll on the UA forum where the overwhelming majority of folks said the next UAD plugin should be a tape emulation. You think they will do it? All this talk of dynamic convolution sounds promising. I will be first in line if they do.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Aren't most of UA's emulations not convolution based?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Aren't most of UA's emulations not convolution based?
Correct, but I saw a guy's post on here saying that all the characteristics of analog tape could be emulated by dynamic convolution. I saw an essay on the UA website explaining dynamic convolution (It was over my head though). So I was wondering if they were turning that direction anytime soon. I've been using Voxengo Tapebus, which is partly based on convolution and I think it sounds pretty good, although I know its not 100%.

But I'm just hoping UA is listening, because based on the quality of their plugins, I know a tape emulation would be nice.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

I could be completly wrong but wasn't UA pointing out why their emulations are better than all those convolution (dynamic or not) based emulation plugins and why convolution is not an option... This is how I remember this article you're referring to. So, I don't think they'll release anything based on convolution.

robi
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
I could be completly wrong but wasn't UA pointing out why their emulations are better than all those convolution (dynamic or not) based emulation plugins and why convolution is not an option... This is how I remember this article you're referring to. So, I don't think they'll release anything based on convolution.

robi
oh okay, thanks for the verification. Yeah, but however they do it, Im sure putting it on the top of the wish list
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Tape machines are getting really inexpensive.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Tape machines are getting really inexpensive.

Yeah,but maintenance and tape on a good machine isn't....
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

I'll buy an any tape based emulation plug they release...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyDAVE View Post

I've been using the Neve 5042 on loan for the last few days. It's called a tape machine emulator. I don't know about that.....I mean it doesn't have sucky S/N, it doesn't require constant calibration and maintenance and it doesn't draw amps like a ShopVac, but in 15ips mode, strapped across a mix bus, it's wonderful. Someone on another forum referred to it as being a bit like sonic crack. I agree. It's one of those things that, once you have strapped it on, you miss it (and it's obvious) when it's no longer there.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by animix View Post
I've been using the Neve 5042 on loan for the last few days. It's called a tape machine emulator. I don't know about that.....I mean it doesn't have sucky S/N, it doesn't require constant calibration and maintenance and it doesn't draw amps like a ShopVac, but in 15ips mode, strapped across a mix bus, it's wonderful. Someone on another forum referred to it as being a bit like sonic crack. I agree. It's one of those things that, once you have strapped it on, you miss it (and it's obvious) when it's no longer there.

" It's one of those things that, once you have strapped it on, you miss it (and it's obvious) when it's no longer there."

Wow-that's exactly what my girlfriend said last night......
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
" It's one of those things that, once you have strapped it on, you miss it (and it's obvious) when it's no longer there."
Linda? Is that you?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow-that's exactly what my girlfriend said last night......
Damn you for getting there first!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyDAVE View Post
i second that emotion
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
Damn you for getting there first!
Naw! Let's share the "glory"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search