The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whick Midi controller (88 notes) do you use?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Whick Midi controller (88 notes) do you use?

I'm looking for a Midi 88-note controller.

I tried M-Audio and it's not for me.
I tried the CME and it's better.
I liked the P250 Yamaha but it's over my budget and I don't need speakers and sounds, only a Midi Controller.

Now I'm open to any suggestions for a keyboard that has a nice weighted-keys action and a decent price (<$1000)

Thanks for your advice!
Vincent
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

What do you think about the new CME controllers announced?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

I didn' know they released a new model so I haven't tried it obviously :-)

However, there's something I don't get in all those manufacturers.

They release a so-called keyboard controller and it's more and more filled with lots of add-ons (faders, v-pots, etc.) but they don't improve the touch of the keys.

I don't know if I'm the only one but I feel like this is the most important thing in a keyboard controller.

If I want faders, I'll buy a mixer!!!

If they can make something decent with digital pianos, why don't they do a lighter version without any sounds and speakers but with the same action?

Vinc'
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Have you tried the Yamaha P70? It's also got built-in speakers, but is only $600. Anything used from that series is cheap and good.
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

i use a fatar studiologic sl-990 pro. it is fantastic! i can't play it like it needs to be played, but i wanted a 88 key fully weighted keyboard to learn and to program with and it is great.

not sure how it compares to others though. it is only $450 and the reviews i've read are also good.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...SL990PRO.html#
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I use the Roland Fantom X8 and RS-9. One's piano weighted and one's synthy...
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

I use a Kurzweil PC2x if you want the best!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

graded hammer action on Fatar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswinger View Post
i use a fatar studiologic sl-990 pro. it is fantastic! i can't play it like it needs to be played, but i wanted a 88 key fully weighted keyboard to learn and to program with and it is great.

not sure how it compares to others though. it is only $450 and the reviews i've read are also good.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...SL990PRO.html#

Hi..just wondering which of these keyboards have graded weighted hammer action...that is.... the higher notes are easier to play since they feel lighter ?
I´d say to get controller that feels like a real piano, this would be a must have feature. I played around with a Yamaha p70 the other day, and the higher notes just seemed to be too heavy ... if I´m wrong about this...please....enlighten me !!I´m not a piano player....thanks !! Luke
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

M-Audio Prokeys 88. Nothin wrong with it for me
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi,

if you just want to use it in the studio, I'd vote for a used Yamaha KX-88.
Has a nice piano-like touch and should be pretty inexpensive to get...

The drawback: It is severly heavy! Together with the case this beast
wheighs close to 45kg! So if you don't have a roadie or don't work
out in the gym - this one's not for you ;-)

Tobias
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
I played around with a Yamaha p70 the other day, and the higher notes just seemed to be too heavy ...
I've found, in general, Yamaha keyboards have a rather sluggish action. But I seem to be in the minority, since most serious keyboard players like the feel of Yamahas. I prefer Roland, but I play with a light touch. (Been playing professionally for about 30 years, so it's not a matter of being an amateur, it's a matter of playing style.) Any of the Roland FP series would be fine. The action is fast and expressive, but they have no mod or pitch wheel. The Studio Logic also feels good, and they have the extra knobs and wheels, but they don't last as long as a Roland would, so you get what you pay for. (I tried the CME, M-audio, and Casio, and thought they sucked big time, but that's just me.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search