The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is Waves Update Plans getting out of hand?
Old 28th November 2015
Deleted User
Is Waves Update Plans getting out of hand?

I just don't understand why are waves update plans so expensive. Some will disagree I am sure. But, I feel after I buy a waves plugin of my choice, the second update I pay I wonder if its really worth it. I am finding really nice plugins which are compatible at a much lesser price. Now I like waves products, I really do. Yet when they have sales, are they really a sale?
Again, I like their products, but I am starting to feel they are over-priced at a time when many are making wonderful plugins at a fraction of the cost of long established predecessors. Even the DAW's today are giving really nice plugins. I have a home recording studio. I love what I am doing and getting better at it. Its seems its getting more popular to own one. I am curious if Waves will be successful in the future with its extended plans, which you don't have to contribute to, yet if your processor goes to windows 11, 12 or 25, you will probably have to. Other companies such as Plugin Alliance and others, you don't have to. I am really liking many of their competitors. Opinions?
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassist30 View Post
I just don't understand why are waves update plans so expensive. Some will disagree I am sure. But, I feel after I buy a waves plugin of my choice, the second update I pay I wonder if its really worth it. I am finding really nice plugins which are compatible at a much lesser price. Now I like waves products, I really do. Yet when they have sales, are they really a sale?
Again, I like their products, but I am starting to feel they are over-priced at a time when many are making wonderful plugins at a fraction of the cost of long established predecessors. Even the DAW's today are giving really nice plugins. I have a home recording studio. I love what I am doing and getting better at it. Its seems its getting more popular to own one. I am curious if Waves will be successful in the future with its extended plans, which you don't have to contribute to, yet if your processor goes to windows 11, 12 or 25, you will probably have to. Other companies such as Plugin Alliance and others, you don't have to. I am really liking many of their competitors. Opinions?
You are mistaken.
WUP is one of the best ways of updating and one of the least expensive.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear
I have several individual Waves plugins. I paid WUP on a couple of them to keep them from lapsing, but I don't see the benefit: there have been no updates to functionality. I have stopped paying for WUP. All of my plugins still work on current DAWs (PT 12, Logic Pro X), but I am dreading the day I will have to pay to re-WUP the ten or so individual Waves plugins I own just so they'll work in some new Mac OS version. It will cost $300, if I understand the terms of WUP correctly. At that point, I'll probably just stop using them and regret ever having purchased them.
Someone tell me if I've misunderstood WUP.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

As far as I can tell, WUP makes sense mostly for those who own bundles. I bought individual plugins and find the cost of WUP not commensurate to what you are supposed to be getting.

They want $98.10 per year for the four plugins I own? Seriously...

I just checked what I paid for them and it totaled to $211.39 so nearly $100 annually to keep >$200 worth of plugins updated?
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
All of my plugins still work on current DAWs (PT 12, Logic Pro X) ...
Ah, didn't realise, thought that if you didn't update, they'd stop working.

Thanks for the info.

No WUP for me.
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Maniac

For me the problem with the WUP is that you might pay the 300 max a year and not get anything for the money :-( On the other hand to say something positive about Waves is that they still support, as far as I know, every single plug in they have ever made.

Does anyone know what happens if you're out of WUP and you upgrade to this new Waves Central thing? My Waves plug ins are 9.3 something and the Central needs 9.6.

Cheers
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

You only pay WUP when you have to/need to. That's what people don't seem to understand.

You don't have to buy WUP at all if your system is working.
Old 2nd December 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
You only pay WUP when you have to/need to. That's what people don't seem to understand.

You don't have to buy WUP at all if your system is working.
Now that makes sense. I don't have bundles and really just use the compressor CLA set and the 4000 console and the 1073 eq. The rest I use sparingly. So I can update later if a problem arises?
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that makes sense. I don't have bundles and really just use the compressor CLA set and the 4000 console and the 1073 eq. The rest I use sparingly. So I can update later if a problem arises?
Exactly.
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Guru

am i correct in saying the WUP kicks in on Major version # releases .. like from 8-9 .. so i am dreading the day that ver 10 comes out .. as i have had no issues running ver 9 and all it's Point Releases so far ... i do get that email when my WUP has lapsed ... but still working ..
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
am i correct in saying the WUP kicks in on Major version # releases .. like from 8-9 .. so i am dreading the day that ver 10 comes out .. as i have had no issues running ver 9 and all it's Point Releases so far ... i do get that email when my WUP has lapsed ... but still working ..
It only kicks in if you want to upgrade to version 10, you can keep using version 9 as long as it still works with all your software. Obviously when a new major version is released they will stop giving maintenance updates for older versions.
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
It only kicks in if you want to upgrade to version 10, you can keep using version 9 as long as it still works with all your software. Obviously when a new major version is released they will stop giving maintenance updates for older versions.
thx ..
Old 2nd December 2015
Quote:
1) WUP is optional, not required.
2) If you don't want to pay for WUP, or upgrade costs from nearly every other plugin developer, simply don't udpate your OS or your daw- keep it static for as long as you can.
3) WUP cost is capped.
4) you get some money back for the money you spend on WUP in the form of vouchers you can use to buy new plugins. It's not dollar for dollar, but it's something.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

It's a little like an enterprise software license / maintenance model except that if you lapse for a while and want to come back on, you don't have to pay retrospectively to cover the gap - not bad. Of course you also have to consider what you get - seems like they rarely (never?) add features to individual plugins, but they do add 'features' (in the form if new plugins) to bundles. So for individual plugins it's more of a technology obsolescence thing. And wow is it confusing at the individual plugin level - like a really complex derivative - definitely makes much more sense for bundles.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yore View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you're out of WUP and you upgrade to this new Waves Central thing? My Waves plug ins are 9.3 something and the Central needs 9.6.
You can use the old installer to keep at v 9.2 and just use Central to move licenses from the cloud to your computer (and back as needed).
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

"Getting"? It's way out of hand and has been for (vst users at least) a long time.

It's ridiculous. I have v7 plugins that I won't upgrade because the cost is some $150, and that fee never drops regardless if I spend more money on other Waves plugins.
I don't need Waves plugins, there is plenty of other companies that offer lifetime product updates which are as good if not better.
It really is a cost that most ordinary users don't consider when first purchasing from Waves, it's nasty nasty.
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Head
you have plenty of possibilities these days, even free plugins with awesome quality.
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Maniac

I bought a waves power pack bundle for really cheap on sale and I've been using it for 3 years now, never had to update it, still works great.

Not sure what WUP even is but if it's that expensive, just don't do it.
Old 10th December 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
"Getting"? It's way out of hand and has been for (vst users at least) a long time.

It's ridiculous. I have v7 plugins that I won't upgrade because the cost is some $150, and that fee never drops regardless if I spend more money on other Waves plugins.
I don't need Waves plugins, there is plenty of other companies that offer lifetime product updates which are as good if not better.
It really is a cost that most ordinary users don't consider when first purchasing from Waves, it's nasty nasty.
This exactly what will happen. Competition will bring cost down. I don't have many waves so to pay 300 dollars yearly isn't worth my future buying their plugins. Wish I didn't start. Way to many companies who offer great plugins and are not greedy.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post

There are also companies that go out of business or just stop supporting plugins, people tend to moan when that happens too.

Lifetime product updates is a myth, do you expect to get paid for work you do on a regular basis? If I give you £100 now will you come and work for me for the rest of your life without another pay cheque?

The other option is the horrible subscription model where you never have a perpetual license. I much prefer the Waves WUP to that, I have a choice if and when I pay and I can still use the products I paid to use.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Waves is one of the original major plugin developers and there was a time when their plugins were a 'must', but like everything, new developers have created a lot of competing products and Waves is no longer a necessity, but just another grossly overpriced option.

I have never bought a Waves plugin and miss nothing. So, if you are not happy, you don't have to stay in the marriage...
Old 10th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
You are mistaken.
WUP is one of the best ways of updating and one of the least expensive.
I'd second that.

You don't have to WUP. I'm WUP-less since years. And when the time comes when I need upgrades because I move to a new OS that is not covered by my actual version (R9 actually), I just can update all my 28 plugins for 300 bucks, which will probably cover me again for a long time again.

I hope they don't change their price policy to the worse though, until I need WUP again

At the moment I'm fine because they all run flawless on my system.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
I'd second that.

You don't have to WUP. I'm WUP-less since years. And when the time comes when I need upgrades because I move to a new OS that is not covered by my actual version (R9 actually), I just can update all my 28 plugins for 300 bucks, which will probably cover me again for a long time again.

I hope they don't change their price policy to the worse though, until I need WUP again

At the moment I'm fine because they all run flawless on my system.
This is how it works if you're a business ^^^ Don't upgrade unless it solves a need until you absolutely need to.

I'm still on 10.7.5 with Logic 9 & Live 8/9 for half my audio work, even though I have a 10.11.2 installation fully running with LPX & Live 9.5x and all the latest bells & whistles too. On the Win side I've got Win10 install media ready but have no desire to move this year, at all. I don't use Win as much for audio anyway (3D animation & graphics, and I use OSX for that too which is what 10.11.2 gets used for).

Being able to predict productivity (at least the technical & cpu limited aspects) versus having the latest & greatest is a balancing act for each of us...and certainly important for a business.
Old 12th December 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
There are also companies that go out of business or just stop supporting plugins, people tend to moan when that happens too.

Lifetime product updates is a myth, do you expect to get paid for work you do on a regular basis? If I give you £100 now will you come and work for me for the rest of your life without another pay cheque?

The other option is the horrible subscription model where you never have a perpetual license. I much prefer the Waves WUP to that, I have a choice if and when I pay and I can still use the products I paid to use.
I understand its business. I as a customer just have to look at its worth. 300 a year on 4 products isn't worth that. If someone is to buy more or own a large amount it may be worth it, yet not sure. You also have to evaluate are they really updating their products. Are they making it sound better or is their update a way of getting it to work the same on the next OS. Its cheaper for those who have a minimal number of wave plugins to buy the updated version when it comes out. Most companies will not charge for maintenance updates. I just think its greedy on their part and with todays world wide economy people will shop around. The plugins that the many DAWS offer are getting better and better and too many are not taking advantage or experimenting with them enough. Its getting easier for many companies to imitate our favorite hardware products.
Old 12th December 2015
Here for the gear

Like many have said, I only update when I have too, which I haven't done in years.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Do any of you get your daws upgraded for free?
Do you have to update your daw every time a new version is released?
It's the same concept. Waves started the subscription model years ago. What gets me is everybody assumes & buys them without first reading the terms. Not very bright.
Old 12th December 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

One thing to consider: No WUP, no tech support.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
One thing to consider: No WUP, no tech support.
That's a good point to consider however they've helped me with minor problems in the past without being covered.
Old 12th December 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

... and no resale, either...
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
... and no resale, either...
wrong

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search