The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac book pro (core duo) vs. Mac book (core duo 2)
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Mac book pro (core duo) vs. Mac book (core duo 2)

I just purchased a Mac book pro (core duo, 2ghz) at an apple store fire sale and now I am wondering if I made the right decision. The Mac book (core duo 2), for roughly the same price has more ram and more L2 cache. (1gb and 4mb).

I am only using this for audio (protools), therefore the larger screen on the macbook pro is really of no consequence to me. Could anyone offer me advice on this matter?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkonnen View Post
I just purchased a Mac book pro (core duo, 2ghz) at an apple store fire sale and now I am wondering if I made the right decision. The Mac book (core duo 2), for roughly the same price has more ram and more L2 cache. (1gb and 4mb).

I am only using this for audio (protools), therefore the larger screen on the macbook pro is really of no consequence to me. Could anyone offer me advice on this matter?
It's not 64 bit.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

True, not 64 bit...but it also hasn't got some of the cool architectual changes in the core 2.
Basically a core duo (in 32 bit) gives you roughly the same performance as an AMDX2

A core 2 is in the next league up...about 15%-20% faster at the same clock
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Is it possible to swap out CPU's in Mac's?
Because you coudl do that in 6 months to a year when the quad laptop CPU's are more affordable.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Because you coudl do that in 6 months to a year when the quad laptop CPU's are more affordable.
Not in the laptops.
It's a consequence of the race to have thinner designs.

Paying the same price for a CD MBP as for a C2D MB is not a bad deal. Opting for a bigger screen, "better" keyboard, dedicated video card, bigger HD, etc. balances with the fact that it's not the newest processor.
Don't sweat the difference between a CD and C2D at the same clock speed. Yes, C2D is better overall, but probably only by an extra plug-in or two. Don't sweat 32-bit vs. 64-bit until you actually start to see significant reports of your favorite apps compiled and optimized for 64-bit.
Just make sure you get at least 2GB of RAM in that puppy.

P.S. I actually had hands-on experience with both a CD MB and my new C2D MBP. I returned the first MB because I wanted something more "substantial" in a laptop since it would be my only computer, but I could certainly have gotten by with it's performance.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish View Post
Not in the laptops.
It's a consequence of the race to have thinner designs.
That's unfortunate.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's unfortunate.
I don't know...
This MBP LOOKS pretty sleek...

(don't worry- I already know what you're going to say)
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Apple is going to come out with a Quad Laptop (WOW) . When ?
And If So should it Blow alway there Desktops ?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post
Apple is going to come out with a Quad Laptop (WOW) . When ?
And If So should it Blow alway there Desktops ?

Well, I'm sure they will at soem point.
But quad laptop processors have been anounced. And when they come down in price, I'm going to drop one in my new dell laptop.
Old 20th January 2007
Here for the gear

hey thanks for all the advice....

I am still a bit torn because I have a 19inch crt monitor at home to run audio sessions on, and when I leave the house I won't really be tracking so much.

With this in mind the macbook cd2 might be better because I really have no use for the graphics card in the mbp. Also, would the extra cache memory in the macbooks make a difference with protools?

I do love the real estate on the mbp, and the keyboard in general is better, but I can't help but covet the macbook with its 64bit, cd2 4mb cache. ( and the new airport shizzle)

Can anyone please talk me out of going back there tomorrow and wasting another day in la la land.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I use a CD 2ghz macbook with 2 gig ram and 7200rpm drive with an external 19" widescreen. Plenty of power and the added real estate of the external screen makes for a great "desktop replacement". Either way you will love your set-up.
Digidesign mentions comparable performance between CD and C2D...
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Don't waste another day in lala land. Keep the mbp, with the big screen! It's not just better for protools, but for reading gearslutz too...

Adam

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search