The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Test Your Hearing - I max at 18Khz
Old 4th February 2007
19 khz seemed louder than the 18 khz tone ...
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
15k loud, 16k faint, 17k maybe ...
Same here......I feel so ashamed
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've been avoiding this test so I can keep telling myself that my hearing is fine. After 16000, all I can hear is the fans coming from my noisy DAW. It seems like I can KIND OF hear 17000, but it gets a bit lost in the fans. I know that when I am EQing cymbals, I can definitely hear the adjustments I make if I am around 20k, so maybe this test is a bit flawed? It doesn't help that each one makes a CLICK sounds when you click a link. Whatever 16k is just fine with me.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
Those aren't pure tones.... My normal cutoff in a real hearing test is about 17K before I only feel it instead of hearing it and I could easily hear all those tones right up to 22 Khz, so somethings not right. I'm 38.
Yeah. Something is amiss, or my hearing is much better than I thought. I could hear them all, no problem. I'm 39 & I've been a rock drummer for ever.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

I am 21 and just found that with a different tone generator, not the one mentioned, I cut off at about 15500. The guy with me can hear to 19000 no problem.

It made me feel really badly for a while, then I decided that I know I can hear well enough to mix well, and I am relatively careful with my hearing, so I will stop worrying about it.

I feel challenged.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

Beethoven went deaf at older age so I wouldn't worry too much about hearing > 16k Hz or not.
Just enjoy what you hear and let "computers" be perfect :P
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I hear max. 18k on my Adam A7, at 19K I can hear only tweeter noise...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Johnny View Post
20hz to 16Khz here... Using laptop speakers.
Those are some laptop speakers. 20hz? I only get 50hz clearly on AKG240M's. Then again, the headphone amp in this laptop is no where near enough to drive them properly. I can't even imagine my laptop speaker reproducing that tone. They're 3/4" in diameter at the most.

I can hear up to 17khz loud and clear on AKG 240M's through a Laptop soundcard. I can feel 18khz as a pressure on the ear, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as "hearing". Anything above that, and it's all a psychosomatic guessing game for me.

I'm really surprised by all the folks who claim hearing up to 21khz. Have you ever been to a rock show? Or on the subway? Apparently not. Get out of the damn house. Apparently my hearing cuts off by 18khz, and sometimes lights that no one else can hear drive me crazy. I for one would hate to hear any higher!
Old 3rd September 2007
from 50hz to 17K clearly.
18K is pretty much a guess...
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

16k here. Phones or monitor.

The first time I tested myself with a oscilator i was shocked and though that my monitor chain was wrong. But I tried it with my son (12 age) and he was able to hear clear to 22k. I think thats what they call AGE...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

A better test?

http://www.digital-recordings.com/cg...www-ht-pro.cgi
Any good news on tinnitus? I've been ear tested 2 months ago. Hearing was 'like a baby' but ringing did not go, any experience on treatments?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Is that flash playing mp3s`or 8-bit wav files?

I think protecting the ears should be a message all people on this forum should teach kids/youth! Protect your ears and your genitalia!! You don't want to be a deaf man with a burning sensation when you urinate! tutt ..or worse

I could still hear 18-19k clearly with my home speakersand I am 34 yo. I've used protection since I turned 18 at rehersals and concerts. But before that I played 2-3 times a week for 5 years standing next to a drumkit in a small space... because I thought it was uncool to wear protection (all kind).

Also I wonder: What is the point of playing LOUD!? Is it to mask the flaws of your playing or what?

I hate it when something is too loud, that can spoil a good concert as well as a good record + your hearing. A constant 86db trough a maximizer is not music, it is NOISE
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Too many gigs. Could hear 17 on my lappy.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

24/96

Another thing about 24/96 is not that it is all audible but perceived as a better, more pleasant quality.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Above 16K or so its more feeling than hearing.
We hear with our brain, so if you can still feel it, you hear it.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

18k barely makes an annoying issy sound to me. why i should want to hear above that is beyond me. that **** is annoying and it gives me a headache. i hate shrill cymbals!
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

15 Khz with laptop speakers, bloody hell. I'm 28
Old 1st February 2009
Deleted User
15 here but i do have a head cold right now, wwwwwuuuuuuuutttttt????
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

17k here - beyond that is computer fizz and aliasing. I'm 2 months short of being 50 and I've abused my hearing horribly for 35+ years.

Woo hoo................

K.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

18k here
i'm 30 and i have a Small tinnitus at 8k in my right ear

not so bad i guess

-Alxi-
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

my highs haven't changed sinse i started checking my ears a couple years ago due to tinnitus at 6 khz.......i can hear 16 khz and then i'm out after that!

my 5-6 khz is done 6 db or so though....but it's literally that narrow of a loss!
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for posting this up, I can go 20hz-20khz and not a hint above it, so I guess I'm normal as hell (actually lucky for my age apparently!). But I've always taken care of my hearing, thanks to my dad suffering from tinnitus after playing in a rock band in the '80s and drilling into my head the importance of preserving my hearing. His range tops out closer to 12khz-13khz, with degradation in the 6-8khz range too.

I do have tinnitus, very mild but it's there. Playing in a rock band in the '00s, heh (more likely just genetic, and anyway studies have demonstrated that apparently everyone has tinnitus if the listening conditions are right, just an odd quirk of our system - very mild for most folks, not so mild for those of us who've exposed our ears to unsafe levels for unsafe amounts of time).
Old 2nd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed View Post
Thanks for posting this up, I can go 20hz-20khz and not a hint above it, so I guess I'm normal as hell (actually lucky for my age apparently!). But I've always taken care of my hearing, thanks to my dad suffering from tinnitus after playing in a rock band in the '80s and drilling into my head the importance of preserving my hearing. His range tops out closer to 12khz-13khz, with degradation in the 6-8khz range too.

I do have tinnitus, very mild but it's there. Playing in a rock band in the '00s, heh (more likely just genetic, and anyway studies have demonstrated that apparently everyone has tinnitus if the listening conditions are right, just an odd quirk of our system - very mild for most folks, not so mild for those of us who've exposed our ears to unsafe levels for unsafe amounts of time).
hearing 20khz is ABnormal..... good abnormal, but defo abnormal.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Well, abnormal for my age anyway, but every textbook quotes human hearing as 20hz-20khz. Shorthand, really, but if you can hear above 20khz you're just a little bit superhuman by the textbook's definition of human hearing.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Anything above 14k is masked by the crud in my ears. Then again I've been recording guitar all day so...
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

feel

i can faintly hear 18k but beyond that i could feel the higher frequencies like a slight pressure
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post

Protect your ears and your genitalia!! You don't want to be a deaf man with a burning sensation when you urinate! tutt ..or worse

rofl ... awesomest advice ever ... Moses should have had that carved on his tablets!
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
i'd like to test for the discrepancy between L/R amplitude perception. i have a tough time with stereo imaging because i hear clearer (louder?) in my left ear.
Yeah, me too.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

either this test isn't accurate or my hearing is messed up,

i can hear up to 18k, 19k and 20k i get a "feeling" but no sound, but then 21k i can hear loud an clear, clearer in fact than the 18k...
Old 4th February 2009
what is weird is I can hear the higher frequencies better through my alesis m1 active speakers than I can through a new pair of sony mdr-7506, both at set levels, up to 18 on the monitors and not much past 15 on headphones.

this can be a pretty dangerous test though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search