The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk me out of the Waves SSL
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Talk me out of the Waves SSL

So, today I'm gonna take the plunge, and spend my first real chunk of change on some new plugz. I can get the Waves Native Bundle for $550, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Right now, all I've got for EQ and Compression is: Digi EQ3, Smack!, and the Massey CT-4.

I've never liked the idea of spending money on chasing the latest and greatest plugz, but I've got a TON of mixing to do over the next 4 weeks, and I'm looking to take my work up a notch. I feel like I've held out for long enough at this point.

The only other plugz I've demo'd (I've already demo'd the Waves SSL) that I liked were the Chandler TG Comp and the URS Neve Parametric. However, I feel like I can make a bigger dent on improving my work with the Waves SSL.

Anyone think I'm making a huge mistake here?

BTW, as far as WUP goes, I'm not worried, as I'm not planning on doing any DAW upgrades, unless PTLE comes out with a 24 I/O box. Other than that, I could usually care less about keeping my software current. The only times I've ever upgraded my LE rig, was when LE first introduced the 32 track limit (remember when it was only 24!), and I also upgraded to LE7 so I could use the Music Production Kit for 48 tracks.

What do you think?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Highly recommended.

STeve
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

possibly the best decision you could make IMHO......
out of all the plugs i have (and i have a LOT) i use the SSL ones the most.

each one of the three plugs is excellent.

go for it and you won't regret it!!

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Kinda funny, how even though I already had my mind made up....having complete strangers telling me it's a good idea, makes me even more confident in my decision.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

On vote for Waves SSL!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Go for it. The SSL plugs are nice. They can be slightly mid forward, but thats the SSL vibe. I've gotten miles of use outa them in the few months I have had them.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

I was thinking maybe you should check out Duende but that is a good deal
for the Native. I would guess the next update would be when Leopard comes out which might be in June-ish.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames View Post
I was thinking maybe you should check out Duende but that is a good deal
for the Native. I would guess the next update would be when Leopard comes out which might be in June-ish.

The Duende is WAY over my budget for just about anything digital.....except maybe A/D/A converters. I just can't justify spending that much for a set of plug-ins. Maybe if my entire plug-in folder added up to $1,500 I would feel OK about it. But anytime I find myself with that much money at once, it always goes towards mics or hardware. I learned my lesson early on regarding gear.....which is that anytime I've got a decent chunk of change (anything over $1,000) to spend on the studio, I want it to also be somewhat of an investment......and we all know how fickle the digital world is.

As for Leopard...I'm sure I won't upgrade. My OS works just fine. The only reason I can think of to upgrade, is if PTLE came out with an 002Pro/003 that had 24 I/O and it required the newest OS.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Waves SSL all the way. Use the plugins all the time, onna the best investments I ever made. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I am not a big fan of external units, though I am sure the Duende sounds great.

Another vote for the Waves SSL Plugs , they really sound great

The bus compressor is as thick as glue - nice agressive grab to it
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

The presets are actually nice starting points for pop/rock/punk stuff, you can really mangle the sound with the channel strip.

The bus comp is great too. I've found you can't get the same effect when you slam it like the real thing, tho. Here is how I use the bus comp:

Attack: 10
Release: Auto
Ratio: 2

I'll adjust the threshold so that the needle is barely moving. Usually around 13.5 to 14.5.

If you bypass/un-bypass it now, you'll notice it not heavily affecting the dynamics, but subtley phattening up the track. Similar to the McDSP Analog Channel 1 (which I'll use in conjunction with it...Analog Channel 1 first, Waves SSL Comp second, Voxengo Elephant third.)

Sometimes, the AC and the SSL get included when it's sent out for mastering, sometimes just the AC, sometimes nothing.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Waves SSL thumbsup
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

I have to agree .... my best plugin purchase to date ... go for it !
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I just finished my authorization/Ilok process. Now I just need to burn a CD of the actual software and take it down to the studio............ah the joys of not having an internet connection at the studio.

After tax it actually came out to $598. But still a good deal in my book.

So....when I demo'd these plugz, the only thing that left me scratching my head a bit was the "E channel compressor". I'm sure I'll find some uses for it, but was wondering what others have liked it on.

Next will be the Chandler TG Comp, URS Neve Parametric, VST-RTAS Wrapper and a few of the Audio Damage Plugs. Their "dubstation" delay and "fixed filter bank" sound pretty damn nice (judging by their online demos).......oh yeah, the PSP Lexicon 42 is on the list too.

Although I know I'm gonna demo those new Chandler EQ's, and I'll probably love 'em.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Go with the Waves SSL.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I personally like the Waves, especially the gate on the E-Channel. I like the E-Channel period. It gives my music a wood-like quality . . . so to speak.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

wood-like quality = good ??
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Next will be the Chandler TG Comp, URS Neve Parametric, VST-RTAS Wrapper and a few of the Audio Damage Plugs. Their "dubstation" delay and "fixed filter bank" sound pretty damn nice (judging by their online demos).......oh yeah, the PSP Lexicon 42 is on the list too.
you seem to have good taste. the Chandler/EMI TG12413 limiter is excellent on almost everything, especially vocals.

i would recommend the URS 'A' and 'N' series graphical EQs as well as the URS BLT.... these are awesome and different EQs from most of the plugin set.

and that PSP 42 is awesome as well.

i can't wait to try the Chandler/EMI TG EQ Mastering Pack as well. i have been checking the Abbey Road website everyday as Wade has said the demos for that should be up anytime.........

enjoy your new plugs! as i said, you will not regret the money spent for one minute!

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

The subject says "talk you out" of buying the Waves SSL. So here it goes:

If you buy the Waves SSL, your penis will fall off. Instantly, as soon as you plug in the ilok, its gone. So unless you want to be penisless, don't buy the Waves SSL.

But they sound really good though.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I bought the Duende, but I've got too much firewire stuff going on and UAD cards, all of which the Duende does not like to play nice with. However, the Duende is the bomb when it works.

I returned it and bought Waves SSL, which are very good. Not quite as good as the Duende, but certainly good enough. For me, it's really hard to pay twice as much. Duende was better, but for me, not that much better.

Waves SSL recommended.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
wood-like quality = good ??
lol, yeah. metaphorically speaking I guess. It has a warm but dry ruggedness to it that is perfect for my music, so . . I dig it
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just got back from the studio after getting the new plugz installed, and all I can say is GAWDAMN!

I'm extremely impressed. I remember liking them when I did the demo, and maybe it's because I own them now, but I'm liking this stuff even more.

Just messed around with 'em today real quick on some stuff I'll be mixing. A friend of mine tracked it, and when I first brought up the tracks yesturday I was a little worried that it would take me forever to mix. Without these plugz it would have easily taken me 4-6 hours to get a decent, basic mix going, and probably 8 to finish. But today it took me about an hour and a half, maybe 2, and it was fairly painless. Granted, I'm talking about the basic mix, not counting any automation, vocal processing, etc.

Quote:
you seem to have good taste
jdjustice

Quote:
The subject says "talk you out" of buying the Waves SSL. So here it goes:

If you buy the Waves SSL, your penis will fall off. Instantly, as soon as you plug in the ilok, its gone. So unless you want to be penisless, don't buy the Waves SSL.

But they sound really good though.
Bang: I'm very happy to report that my penis is still fully intact
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Bang: I'm very happy to report that my penis is still fully intact
You might think so...
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
You might think so...
Yeah, until you listen to one of Bang's mixes, then your penis falls off all over again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search