The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reason 3 - is It worth the upgrade?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Reason 3 - is It worth the upgrade?

I just got paid for a few sessions and have a little money. I decided maybe I just upgrade some software, or buy somethings new. I upgraded Battery from version 1 to 3. I don't use it very often. I was thinking of upgrading from Reason 2.5 to 3. Is there any compelling reason to? I'm not really fond of the sound. I also use this as a rewire device for DP. I also have Kontakt 2 and Kompakt.

I'm not really a VI kind of guy, but I'm trying to get there. I record real instruments most often. But I'm also a composer and guitarist. What is paying $129 for REASON 3 going to give me? I don't think I'll use the Mixing Suite, or whatever it is. Is the sound improved? One thing I downloaded a while ago and can only use in ver 3 is Rebirth sounds.

Maybe I should buy DFHS or Trilogy or Guitar Rig 2 . . . .
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Head

Reason is exellent value for money .. lots of great bread and butter sounds in 3.0 and lots of possibilities ..
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

I'm not sure whether that answered my question, but thanks anyway.

I have Reason 2.5. I need to know whether Reason 3.0 is a distinct improvement over 2.5, especially since I'm using it as a rewire device and won't be using the Mixing Suite, as far as I can tell.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I'm not sure whether that answered my question, but thanks anyway.

I have Reason 2.5. I need to know whether Reason 3.0 is a distinct improvement over 2.5, especially since I'm using it as a rewire device and won't be using the Mixing Suite, as far as I can tell.
Very much so...the combinator brings it to another level as far as creating sounds, effects, drum patterns, etc goes.

And for the record I just upgraded in September. So i'm a recent convert...i held out like you did...but i'm really glad I went for it.

Here are some combinator tutorials:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0...reasontech.htm

http://www.propellerheads.se/home/di...tion=mainframe

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005...ombinator.html

If those looks interesting to you, it's worth the upgrade.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Considering the negligible differences I have seen in other software upgrades, Reason 3 is relatively a big step up from Reason 2.5. Definitely worth it if you like Reason.
Old 19th January 2007

really really worth it!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

OK, yooz guys have me convinced. Don't have me hunt you down now!thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search