The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the fastest AMD socket 939 processor I can have....
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Smile What is the fastest AMD socket 939 processor I can have....

Hello,

Here is my situation : I have a A8V socket 939 motherboard with an AMD 64 3800+ processor (single core) and a PCI UAD card and a PCI POWERCORE MKI.

I would like to upgrade for a faster processor but while keeping my powercore and UAD , and without getting compability problems : I mean ,I am aware that I cannot upgrade to dual core because of known uncompability problems between AMD dual core and Powercore MKI and UAD.

SO what is the highest socket 939 single core processor I can upgrade to ? ?

I know there is the AMD 4000+ (but does not seem to make a lot of real improvment with my 3800+).
How about the AMD fx-55 ? will it work ? ? or any faster processor ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sergio
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

HI,
you most cetainly can upgrade to dual core.
with your UAD the poco is hit or miss on that board.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
HI,
you most cetainly can upgrade to dual core.
with your UAD the poco is hit or miss on that board.

Scott
ADK
What do you mean exactly ? Could you be more precise ?
Can I keep it all this way and upgrade to dual core (There are going to be compatibility problems ? ? no ? ? ? )

or do you mean I can do it but, I will have to forget about the powercore ?

Thanks
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I think the Powercore PCI has issues with the AMD X2 Processors. TC Electronic has stated there will be a fix coming for over a year now with no result. I would think it's a lost cause.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Powercore PCI cards cause system freezes when used in an Asus A8V with an AMD X2 processor. With a single core, everything is fine - it's just with the dual-core the problem happens.

If you want to go dual-core and keep the UAD-1 and Powercore working, you could get a ULi chipset based motherboard such as the Gigabyte K8U.

But looking at what you would have to do anyway (buy new motherboard and processor), if I were you I would buy....

Asrock 865PE motherboard.
Core 2 Duo E6600 processor.

The Asrock motherboard uses DDR memory and AGP graphics and has 5 PCI slots so you can use everything out of your Asus A8V system. If you overclock the processor then it will give you around twice the performance of a dual-core AMD too.

Here is a link to a thread at the cubase.net forum where you can see a couple of users who are having a good experience with this combo.

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtop...080&highlight=
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
The Powercore PCI cards cause system freezes when used in an Asus A8V with an AMD X2 processor. With a single core, everything is fine - it's just with the dual-core the problem happens.

If you want to go dual-core and keep the UAD-1 and Powercore working, you could get a ULi chipset based motherboard such as the Gigabyte K8U.

But looking at what you would have to do anyway (buy new motherboard and processor), if I were you I would buy....

Asrock 865PE motherboard.
Core 2 Duo E6600 processor.

The Asrock motherboard uses DDR memory and AGP graphics and has 5 PCI slots so you can use everything out of your Asus A8V system. If you overclock the processor then it will give you around twice the performance of a dual-core AMD too.

Here is a link to a thread at the cubase.net forum where you can see a couple of users who are having a good experience with this combo.

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtop...080&highlight=

THanks a lot Captain for your help and your acurate reply.

Much respect

Sergio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search