The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Triggers to EZdrummer Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th November 2015
Here for the gear

Drum Triggers to EZdrummer

Total newbie when its comes to this stuff.

I'm thinking about purchasing ddrum drum triggers to record acoustic drums in my home studio and want to use EZdrummer to sample sound, with Protools 9. The cymbals will be recorded secondly using a few mics with a Mackie 1220i as my interface to a their own tracks. I need to know how the trigger to computer to EZdrummer to Protools works, and set this up, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am still on the fence and may just use a new mic setup instead but intrigued by the possibilities of using EXdrummer's sounds.
Old 20th November 2015
I use about 4 Yamaha DTXpress kits combined, with 4 DTXpress III trigger modules...reason is I'm going into Superior Drummer, and some of their Superior kits, such as the Avitar are huge. I have somewhere around 40 + plus triggers to accommodate the largest of software kits. You can see my kit in my Avitar pic to the left, this pic was before my last few expansions, so it's bigger now.

With real drums, and the use of drum triggers, you'll also need a trigger module, which I'm guessing ddrum offers as well. Typically, from the module, you'll send midi out into your computer, either with standard via the sound card, or directly with USB. If using say, General Midi, the module and EZDrummer will already likely be very close...meaning that when you hit the kick, EZDrummers kick will sound etc, etc. But expect to do some amount midi note assignment. This midi will be fed into EZDrummer.

With my 4 kits/modules, I have to do quite a lot of midi note assigning. My 1st module is pretty much on with Toontracks bass drum, snare, hi-hats etc, but on my other 3 modules, nothing much is standard, and any drum trigger pad can be anything I want/need it to be. If you're doing a basic kit, then it should be straight forward.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search