The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2006 macpros DAW Software
Old 19th November 2015
Here for the gear

2006 macpros

Hi all

been a windows user most of my life still keep my gaming pc recently went from a dell precision to a 2006 macpro a few months ago fell in love with the design of the macpro especially the hard drive bays which was my big selling point plus I just wanted to try the mac side with out spending alot
I 'm currently on osx 10.6 snow I only plan to use the mac for audio.

plan to install osx 10.7 so I can run ableton live 9 suite and Logic right now have logic 8 but see logic 9 upgrade on ebay I fell in love with the logic environment

Just wondering How many on this forum are still using the older macpros, also would it be possible to slave a pc maybe running veinna pro to the mac pro to run more plugins ?

My current interface is the maudio profire 2626 but plan to switch to motu or focusrite

would just like some general mac tips from people still using somewhat older systems around tax time if I stay with mac plan to add a macbook as well a Ipad to help with control for Logic
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepStais View Post
Hi all

been a windows user most of my life still keep my gaming pc recently went from a dell precision to a 2006 macpro a few months ago fell in love with the design of the macpro especially the hard drive bays which was my big selling point plus I just wanted to try the mac side with out spending alot
I 'm currently on osx 10.6 snow I only plan to use the mac for audio.

plan to install osx 10.7 so I can run ableton live 9 suite and Logic right now have logic 8 but see logic 9 upgrade on ebay I fell in love with the logic environment

Just wondering How many on this forum are still using the older macpros, also would it be possible to slave a pc maybe running veinna pro to the mac pro to run more plugins ?

My current interface is the maudio profire 2626 but plan to switch to motu or focusrite

would just like some general mac tips from people still using somewhat older systems around tax time if I stay with mac plan to add a macbook as well a Ipad to help with control for Logic
I was using a 2007 model, up until about five months ago. There still perfectly fine for doing music. You can actually upgrade that to an 8 quart computer, for about $130. It'll take you from around 5600 gig bench score, two around 11,000. In a be the best investment you ever made! If you're interested and doing it, send me a private message, and I'll walk you through it.
Old 19th November 2015
Here for the gear

2006 macpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I was using a 2007 model, up until about five months ago. There still perfectly fine for doing music. You can actually upgrade that to an 8 quart computer, for about $130. It'll take you from around 5600 gig bench score, two around 11,000. In a be the best investment you ever made! If you're interested and doing it, send me a private message, and I'll walk you through it.
Cool Thnaks for the info, I'm still new with trying to figure out is compatible
I planning to install lion 10.7 so I can run ableton live 9 suite and logic pro 9 combo.

If I have plugins for osx 10.6 will they still work with 10.7 or are they work with that osx ?
Old 19th November 2015
Here for the gear

The old Mac Pros are great for music, I run Ableton Live 9 Standard on a Quad core one with about 24GB RAM and it runs like a dream. Plugins that run on 10.6 should work on 10.7

Have a look through this (2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X El Capitan | MacRumors Forums) thread on MacRumors and you can get 10.11 El Capitan on an old Mac Pro too.

All the best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search