The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any piano vests that aren't terrible? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th November 2015
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Any piano VSTS**** that aren't terrible?

So I purchased the galaxy vintage d piano vst and I have to say it sounds almost like the stock steinway in logic pro x. Extremely disappointing. After this happening, I was scared to purchase another one without trying it first so I downloaded the 8dio 1928 steinway and while I really love the tone of it, it's way too muddy/resonant. Any vsts that have that great steinway d sound without being too muddy or resonant like the 8dio version?

Last edited by Blain; 19th November 2015 at 03:25 AM..
Old 18th November 2015
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Heres a tasty little number,looks about your size!

Old 18th November 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 

This one is not to bad.

Old 19th November 2015
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Knew I should've checked serious replies only :/ now I'm getting roasted in my own thread
Old 19th November 2015
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Also confirmed both posters above work with either bestservice or 8dio
Old 19th November 2015
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
I just realized the typo.... I will gracefully take my L
Old 19th November 2015
  #7
Here for the gear
 

IMO pretty much any piano vest is terrible.

I am also interested in piano VST's. I think most samples will require a little adjustment to get the sound tailored to your liking. I don't own the Galaxy but it looks like it has the usual adjustments for brightness, resonance, mic position and of course reverb.
Old 19th November 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Clockwise's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitaljazz View Post
IMO pretty much any piano vest is terrible.
Then I guess it's one of the areas where devs need to jump in and create something that adds "warmth" without distorting images.

Speaking of piano sample libraries, I'm looking for good one too. Using Acousticsamples F Grand and it's decent but find resonances going on (maybe recorded in a resonant room?).
Old 19th November 2015
  #9
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
I have quite a number of libraries, but I now exclusively use NI's The Maverick. It sounds warm, smooth and like a real instrument. Importantly, volume levels and tonality are matched perfectly across all octaves.
Old 19th November 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
almaelectronix's Avatar
 

SonicCouture-Hammersmith pro is great, Imperfect samples-Fazioli ebony grand is nice too.
These two are really different that's why I use both together or not depends on song and goal.
They need tweak of course.

Some usefull threads:
Piano conclusion
Blind Piano VST Shootout: Cast your vote!

Hope that helps.
Old 19th November 2015
  #11
I have been searching a lot for the best piano vst around for quite some time in the past and almost bought everything out there .... but I came down to notice that the Piano Collection in Komplete (The Giant, Maverick, The Gentelman) are the best out in the industry !! Very close to perfection ... some people out there would swear in Ivory Pianos by Synthogy ... but I'd rather choose the Native Instruments Piano Collection
Old 19th November 2015
  #12
Really like Ivory 2 and Steinberg Grand 3 for offering great pianos that are not dull
Old 19th November 2015
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
I have been searching a lot for the best piano vst around for quite some time in the past and almost bought everything out there .... but I came down to notice that the Piano Collection in Komplete (The Giant, Maverick, The Gentelman) are the best out in the industry !! Very close to perfection ... some people out there would swear in Ivory Pianos by Synthogy ... but I'd rather choose the Native Instruments Piano Collection
Thanks man I'll check those out!! I'm looking for a piano that has that dark intimate vibe like the 8dio one but not as muddy
Old 19th November 2015
  #14
why don't you clean up the mud with an EQ ?? you will never find a plugin that will give you a ready preset to use in your tracks without any tweaking or effects
Old 19th November 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
If you don't have a good piano controller, they will all sound/feel bad. Furthermore you shouldn't be afraid to put an EQ on the piano to dial in the sound you need. The more picky you are about the sound you want, the more you're going to have to do to find it.

If you're really chasing a particular "sound" you might consider something like Addictive Keys... it's a model D with a lot of control over microphone placement.
Old 19th November 2015
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
why don't you clean up the mud with an EQ ?? you will never find a plugin that will give you a ready preset to use in your tracks without any tweaking or effects
I did, I tried taking out around 250 and even like 500 but if you barely start to take away from it it starts to lose its character completely. It's so weird, it doesn't respond to eq very well at all
Old 19th November 2015
  #17
this is what differentiate a mixing engineer from another with all due respect !

Try to gain more experience, experiment more .. use different EQ plugins ... some will keep the analog feel within the sound ... I personally like to use Slate Custom EQ the white one on my Piano sound ... it makes it stand out and it also depends on the whole track .. are you mixing it with drums ? Bass ? Pads ??
Old 19th November 2015
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
this is what differentiate a mixing engineer from another with all due respect !

Try to gain more experience, experiment more .. use different EQ plugins ... some will keep the analog feel within the sound ... I personally like to use Slate Custom EQ the white one on my Piano sound ... it makes it stand out and it also depends on the whole track .. are you mixing it with drums ? Bass ? Pads ??
Ok. It's not me though, I know how to eq a piano. This vst is different
Old 19th November 2015
  #19
what is your soundcard ? your monitors ? headphones ? Room is treated ?? this is why sometimes you might need to EQ the sound differently than what you learn about specific frequencies for specific instruments ... trust your ears bro
Old 19th November 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
The maverick, The grandeur, the hammersmith, those sound good.

Also check pianoteq, modeled but plays quite nice.
Old 19th November 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
almaelectronix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
I'm looking for a piano that has that dark intimate vibe like the 8dio one but not as muddy
Imperfect Samples- Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand has that dark vibe.
I always find my self to decrease the "release" for more realistic tone.
But I am not sure if you can buy from this guys these days. A lot of people having trouble with their purchaces.

On the other hand Hammersmith does offer a lot of mic combination and perspectives (6 Mic Positions,M49 Pair or D19,KM133D Pair or MK4 Pair,M50 TREE or KU100 HEAD) so you can get easily the tone you are seeking dark or bright. Worth checking this out.

Just my 2c.
Attached Thumbnails
Any piano vests that aren't terrible?-210.png   Any piano vests that aren't terrible?-image_9721_0.jpg  
Old 19th November 2015
  #22
PianoteQ is used by Avicii I guess ... it's more of a pop piano type ... you have to experiment again and again to find your signature sound
Old 19th November 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
Sometimes just a little eq can help things along. I quite like both the Native Instruments Giant and Alicia's Keys. Giant for brighter more attacking stuff, Alicia for the softer warmer stuff. Real pianos can be surprisingly resonant too, when you're actually sat down playing one, in particular upright pianos.
Old 19th November 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
PianoteQ is used by Avicii I guess ... it's more of a pop piano type ... you have to experiment again and again to find your signature sound
Well Pianoteq can be: an steniway d, a yamaha c5, a bluthner a yamaha u4 and the non existent Pianoteq K2.

Personally I like the bluthner more.

Pianoteq standard allows to position up to 6 mics I believe, any way you want. And they have various models of mics. By far is the more flexible.

By each version it is getting better, I honestly believe that it will soon make sample libraries obsolete.
Old 19th November 2015
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Well Pianoteq can be: an steniway d, a yamaha c5, a bluthner a yamaha u4 and the non existent Pianoteq K2.

Personally I like the bluthner more.

Pianoteq standard allows to position up to 6 mics I believe, any way you want. And they have various models of mics. By far is the more flexible.

By each version it is getting better, I honestly believe that it will soon make sample libraries obsolete.
Why is that ?? rendering them obsolete ?
Old 19th November 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by almaelectronix View Post
Imperfect Samples- Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand has that dark vibe.
I always find my self to decrease the "release" for more realistic tone.
But I am not sure if you can buy from this guys these days. A lot of people having trouble with their purchaces.

On the other hand Hammersmith does offer a lot of mic combination and perspectives (6 Mic Positions,M49 Pair or D19,KM133D Pair or MK4 Pair,M50 TREE or KU100 HEAD) so you can get easily the tone you are seeking dark or bright. Worth checking this out.

Just my 2c.
You want dark and intimate, Imperfect Samples Fazioli. It's what I reach for when I'm looking for that exact thing. Love, love, love that library.

I bought mine about nine months ago, no problem. I believe the dev was having health issues a year or two ago, which is where the majority of the non-responsive issues arose. I think he/she/they are back on their game now.

I like Pianoteq for playing - it's easily the most playable and responsive and feels the most like actually playing a piano, but the modeling does leave a bit to be desired for me - at least from a piano sound perspective.

The Giant by NI is also good and I really like the Hammersmith as well. These are both brighter and less moody than the Fazioli.
Old 19th November 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
Why is that ?? rendering them obsolete ?
Because being totally modelled it should in theory give far more realistic sympathetic resonance response and thus sound closer to the real thing.

I kinda hope the modelled ones do eventually surpass the sampled ones, will save a lot of hard drive space in the process too
Old 19th November 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
Why is that ?? rendering them obsolete ?
Cause it each version improves so much that why would anyone want to load 50gb of samples if you can load an instrument that uses 0 ram, 40mb of HD space and quite little CPU? and it also reacts way better than sampled pianos.

I know it's about taste and I feel Pianoteq still needs some more flavour: Bösendorfer and Fazioli for example. But I think Pianoteq is in the way of providing a solution for most needs and much more convenient.

I totally know some people still don't like how it sounds, but honestly after you play it for a while ( I use the demo everyday for practicing) sampled pianos just feel less alive, dynamics and resonance are superb on pianoteq.

And then you can get experimental with the mics, tunning, etc.

To me it's at 95% of getting "there", a couple of versions more maybe. It has really come a long way, specially in the last two versions.
Old 19th November 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
almaelectronix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You want dark and intimate, Imperfect Samples Fazioli. It's what I reach for when I'm looking for that exact thing. Love, love, love that library.
+1
Love it too!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I bought mine about nine months ago, no problem. I believe the dev was having health issues a year or two ago, which is where the majority of the non-responsive issues arose. I think he/she/they are back on their game now.
I read that too about the health issues, I hope they are back because I am thinking about getting the extreme version
Old 19th November 2015
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
Blain's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You want dark and intimate, Imperfect Samples Fazioli. It's what I reach for when I'm looking for that exact thing. Love, love, love that library.

I bought mine about nine months ago, no problem. I believe the dev was having health issues a year or two ago, which is where the majority of the non-responsive issues arose. I think he/she/they are back on their game now.

I like Pianoteq for playing - it's easily the most playable and responsive and feels the most like actually playing a piano, but the modeling does leave a bit to be desired for me - at least from a piano sound perspective.

The Giant by NI is also good and I really like the Hammersmith as well. These are both brighter and less moody than the Fazioli.
Thank you!! I really really like the sound of the fazioli, and the Steinway one sounds super similar to that one too. Now I need to make a decision
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump