The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any piano vests that aren't terrible? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

The problem with sampled piano's isn't as much the sound as it is the problem of getting a proper feel of playing on the natural resonance and key feedback you get from a proper piano. Most quality vst pianos can sound good if you take the time to post-edit the velocity and sustainpedal to make it each note sound natural.

Or you could just record a piano. They're everywhere. Though being a keyboardist, I do feel your pain. I almost never use piano in a song mostly for this reason. Now if I had a real one..
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire View Post
The problem with sampled piano's isn't as much the sound as it is the problem of getting a proper feel of playing on the natural resonance and key feedback you get from a proper piano. Most quality vst pianos can sound good if you take the time to post-edit the velocity and sustainpedal to make it each note sound natural.
Yeah. Certainly part of that getting the right feel is down to the quality of the keyboard controller being used. Some have awful velocity ranges on them, very jumpy.
I'm still using an ancient Roland XP80 as my master keyboard simply because the velocity and aftertouch response on it is excellent. Really does make a difference.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Pianoteq works the best for me.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
I just realized the typo.... I will gracefully take my L

OK, there's your L
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
As somebody who played piano for about 30 years, I can empathise. A lot of piano sounds on electronics just don't sound right. There are a lot of nuances to pianos and unfortunately a lot of people don't even know how to implement the envelopes. And a sustained piano note goes through a lot of harmonics for a long time, so sampling right would take up tons of space.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire View Post

Or you could just record a piano. They're everywhere. Though being a keyboardist, I do feel your pain. I almost never use piano in a song mostly for this reason. Now if I had a real one..
That could be the problem too. I notice sometimes when I hit certain bass notes they're like wayyyyy louder than the other notes. I'm using an akai max49
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post

OK, there's your L
*goes to take it*

It's too hot :/
Old 19th November 2015
HSi
Lives for gear

I think some of the sampled ones sound decent, more likely velocity based issues as someone pointed out. The Giant sounds great to me, I haven't heard the very latest ones.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

PianoTeq or Synthogy Ivory for me.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

In a mix, most good ones are useable. Solo?

Fazioli is my favorite.

Alecia is brighter and neutral.

Vintaudio's Clinton upright smacks Beatlesque, and cuts through mixes nicely
Old 20th November 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Real pianos can be surprisingly resonant too, when you're actually sat down playing one, in particular upright pianos.
Real pianos still respond very differently from any plug-in I've ever tried. I think a lot of people on these piano threads never have heard or played a real Steinway, let alone a Fazioli, so they are comparing their VSTs with something that doesn't exist in the real world, but only on pop records.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Real pianos still respond very differently from any plug-in I've ever tried. I think a lot of people on these piano threads never have heard or played a real Steinway, let alone a Fazioli, so they are comparing their VSTs with something that doesn't exist in the real world, but only on pop records.
if you listen to 30 for 30 freestyle by drake you will know what kind of sound I'm looking for! Sounds a lot like either the steinway or fazioli
Old 20th November 2015
Looks Like a lot of users here are happy with PianoTeq ! Though I don't understand it much how a modeled piano can sound better than a sampled piano ...

I think Radical Piano in Reason is also a modelled piano no ?
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechara View Post
Looks Like a lot of users here are happy with PianoTeq ! Though I don't understand it much how a modeled piano can sound better than a sampled piano ...

I think Radical Piano in Reason is also a modelled piano no ?
For me, Pianoteq is about the feel of playing moreso than the sound. Sound-wise, I prefer libraries, but they're still a bit sluggish response-wise. But Pianoteq comes the closest to playing a real piano action with a decent, if not too much resonance sound. If I had a better actual piano, that would be my ideal choice obviously.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

In my experience with Pianoteq, the top octaves are more realistic. With
samples, you don't get the ringing in the notes where there are no dampers.
With Pianoteq, you do, and you can control the amount if you have the
more expensive version.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Maniac

impact soundworks pearl is my fav
session keys x and y are nice too i love the ability to reverse the piano...
Evolution rosewood has a nice emotional tone to it imo.. fun to play with
8dio 1969 is also a very nice great sounding piano
I also have grandeur and the gentleman but i haven't put much use to them yet.
looking forward to playing with the hammersmith piano soon when black friday come around lol
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Can anyone give any feedback on how the new 8dio upright piano plays/feels? Really love the sound on the demos
Old 20th November 2015
PMF
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Really like Ivory 2 and Steinberg Grand 3 for offering great pianos that are not dull
These 2 are my favourites too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search