The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tokyo Dawn Nova dynamic eq Equalizer Plugins
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Addict

Tokyo Dawn Nova dynamic eq

I'll be checking out this one first thing tomorrow morning. Anyone tried it yet?

TDR Nova | Tokyo Dawn Records
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Sanchez View Post
I'll be checking out this one first thing tomorrow morning. Anyone tried it yet?

No, but I also will be checking this out when I get to work. Thanks for the heads up! TDR is full of surprises.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear
There is a very powerful free version. Just get it.

I found myself using the old Nova by Vladg quite a bit lately, mostly as a de-esser but sometimes to fix other problems too. So downloading this version was a no-brainer. I just got it a bit ago so I haven't put it to use yet.

Quote:

Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

I used the "old" Vladg Nova version of this plugin and it worked just great.
I have not seen a lot of EQs that works so transparent, so i think this improved version by TDR is even better.
Old 18th November 2015
Can someone explain to me what Tokyo Dawn Records is supposed to be? Is it a label? Is it a plugin company? Is it both?
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Can someone explain to me what Tokyo Dawn Records is supposed to be? Is it a label? Is it a plugin company? Is it both?
TDR = Label

TDR Labs = plugins
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

wow, I am looking since a while for an affordable and "handy" dynamic EQ, looking forward to try this one today
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

So I had a trial session yesterday evening, all I can say: This thing is fantastic !
I am a fan of "handy" and "ergonomic" EQ's (even they are not "material" some just support the workflow, others not).

Actually I wanted to try it for the dynamic function, as there is missing a dynamic EQ in my collection. But at the end I was surprised, how much I was impressed by the EQ in general.
I licked the sound of Slick EQ (also from TDR) but I didn'use it for the limitation of at least a 2nd mid-band. Of course I could slam 2-3 EQs on my tracks, but then I lose the overview.

With the TDR Nova I was able to fix a very difficult track, using dynamic EQing on one of the bands and "normal" EQ'in on the others.

The filters can be set to 6db/octave which is great for smooth HP and LP filtering on acoustic instruments. I also like the GUI very much, everything is very userfriendly. This EQ is a total winner for me !
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

How does this differ from the already available, 1000+ EQs on the market? Feels like there's a new EQ coming out almost daily.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
How does this differ from the already available, 1000+ EQs on the market? Feels like there's a new EQ coming out almost daily.
That's funny because there's only one other plug-in on the market that I could compare this to and that's Fabfilter's Pro-MB.

If you can't see what's unique about it maybe you need to look a little deeper.. have you clicked through and read anything about it? It's worth the effort..

Last edited by Red Black; 20th November 2015 at 02:15 PM..
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
If you think this is like pro-mb, then you don't understand how it works.

A bit ironic given your comment actually.

There are quite a few dynamic EQs on the market that are based on the same concept. (glisseq, dynEQ, iq-eq, dq-1, dynamic EQ in DP, etc...)
It's more complicated than most processors but I'm pretty confident with its functionality.. however, feel free to enlighten me!
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Duplicate Thread

Maybe this could be merged with the main thread in the new product announcement forum?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...qualizers.html

There should be plenty of discussion about what this does and how it compares with other products. There have already been two updates released as a result of the feedback!

Nick
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
It's more complicated than most processors but I'm pretty confident with its functionality.. however, feel free to enlighten me!

The UI of pro-mb is a bit misleading when comes to comparing the 2 plugins.

Pro-MB is dynamic processors working on split bands of audio.

Nova is dynamic processors working on the gain of filters. It can work like a multi-band compressor by using the split mode, but given the name of the plugin that would not be the primary mode of operation.

Nova can approximate what pro-mb can do, but pro-mb can not do what Nova can do. There are other plugins (like what I listed) that can do what Nova can do though.

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 20th November 2015 at 09:40 PM..
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Addict

Duplicate thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
Maybe this could be merged with the main thread in the new product announcement forum?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...qualizers.html

There should be plenty of discussion about what this does and how it compares with other products. There have already been two updates released as a result of the feedback!

Nick
+1
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Well, there really aren't that many dynamic EQ's on the market. I can think of McDSP AE400, Izotope has one in Ozone 6 and 7 (I think). And I think that's it.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
That's funny because there's only one other plug-in on the market that I could compare this to and that's Fabfilter's Pro-MB.
There are some similarities between FF Pro-MB (and other MB compressors) and Nova (and other dynamic EQ's). But there are some differences that make them unique:

Dynamic EQ's have much sharper Q's.
Dynamic EQ bands can completely overlap.
Because of the overlap (I'm guessing), there is no need for crossover points.
In the case of Nova, there are also high and low pass filters (not dynamic).

The fact that Nova is free, that the GE edition is so affordable, that it simply sounds great, that there are so few dynamic eq's on the market and that the one's that are available are pretty expensive, makes this plugin one of the best things to come along in a very long time.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Been super happy with Melda's MAutoDynamic EQ in terms of dynamic EQing tasks in my mastering work.
Anyone got deep enough with that and Nova and want to share any insights into possible differences/pros/cons?
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, there really aren't that many dynamic EQ's on the market. I can think of McDSP AE400, Izotope has one in Ozone 6 and 7 (I think). And I think that's it.
Toneboosters Flx is worth mentioning, being lin/min/mixed phase dynamic EQ with a lot of very unusual filter shapes (Gammatone, anyone?) and interesting compression/expansion curve interface.

TB Flx and TDR Nova are great complimentary dynamic EQ couple, i'd say.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
The UI of pro-mb is a bit misleading when comes to comparing the 2 plugins.

Pro-MB is dynamic processors working on split bands of audio.

Nova is dynamic processors working on the gain of filters. It can work like a multi-band compressor by using the split mode, but given the name of the plugin that would not be the primary mode of operation.

Nova can approximate what pro-mb can do, but pro-mb can not do what Nova can do. There are other plugins (like what I listed) that can do what Nova can do though.
I think you need to check out Pro-MB again as this is not accurate. When Pro-MB is in "Dynamic Phase" mode it is literally acting as a dynamic EQ.. you can enable a single filter band and everything outside of that band (let's call that the wideband) is untouched. Does that not sound familiar?

Pro-MB and Nova both use filters to split audio into bands. Both processors allow optional dynamic control of those bands. Both processors allow one to process a single band and leave the rest of the audio signal unprocessed. Are they the same? Of course not! Both processors are very complex and approach similar things from quite different perspectives.. their control paradigms are different and they allow for different functionality.. however, they both approach dynamic equalisation and multi-band processing from a unique angle and in this they are very much comparable.. which was all I was saying.

You should remember that the context in which I wrote my comment was replying to someone who asked what the difference was between Nova and "1000+ EQs on the market".. I wouldn't immediately compare Nova to an EQ (dynamic or otherwise) because it is more than that and that's why I compared it to Pro-MB instead.. hopefully that'll make the person I replied to look at Nova in a new light and not as just another EQ!

For what it's worth I don't think the name of the plug-in has that much bearing on its "primary mode of operation".. in fact I believe that Fabien and Vlad would only encourage using the thing in ways that they didn't expect. Similarly Pro-MB may have influenced you with its name but its default operation mode is dynamic phase mode.. something Fabfilter make a point of. I don't think I've used Pro-MB like and old-fashioned multi-band compressor even once. Have you spent much time with Pro-MB Robert?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search