The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2012 Mac Mini - how noisy is the fan when CPU is pushed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

2012 Mac Mini - how noisy is the fan when CPU is pushed?

I've got a 2012 Macbook Pro which is all the power i'll ever need in a music production rig. One problem though - the fan is as noisy as hell, and renders me incapable of tracking in the same room. I've pulled the back panel off myself to make sure there's no dust/lint buildup hindering heat extraction - the inside was squeaky clean. I've also taken it to an Apple store for inspection - it's working perfectly fine according to them.

I want to move back to a desktop setup, so i'm thinking about buying a 2012 Mac Mini, which can seemingly offer the same performance as my current MBP. Perhaps it's even the same hardware... boxed in a different layout. Just wondering - does that mean a 2012 Mac Mini is going to be just as noisy as my MBP? Especially if i'm running a split screen arrangement?
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

It is incredibly quiet in my experience.

I've got a 2012 Mac Mini which I upgraded with an SSD and I have yet to hear it at roughly 2 feet away, I need to get within 2-3 inches to hear it at all.

I wouldn't describe myself as a power user, I haven't pushed the performance meter in Cubase over 25% yet though!
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Head

I'm also running split screen on a 2012 Mini and I don't think I've heard it once. I also upgraded to dual SSDs- one for the DAW and software, another to keep all of my projects on.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Addict

Same here - no SSD fitted yet (I have one, just no energy) but the little beastie is virtually silent.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Addict

When you push it with some software synths, it aint silent anymore....but most of the time it´s really, really silent! Really impressed with mine, in fact I'm always a bit surprised when I do hear it at all.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

Same here. Pretty dang quiet. Ramps up with flash video sometimes.
Running Logic with plugs and VSTi's, no issues.
I have a quad 2.66 i7. I am very happy I have one! New ones are nowhere near as good.

Edit. Put in an ssd for the boot drive. It made my Mini even more awesome!
Looking to get a 1tb ssd now.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
Mac mini for making music

Mac Mini 2,3 i7 QC heat and fan noise?

There are other threads as well (check MacRumours). I owned this machine for close to a year and eventually gave up. Sure - nice and quiet until I put a real DAW load on it (~20% in ProTools - probably 10 at the time). Then the fan would ramp up - pretty quick as I remember. At anything like 35% load or more full on fan. There are ways to help (read the threads) but in the end as a serious DAW machine (low buffers, 96kHz, minimum latency tracking) - I moved on...

Maybe the later revs of PT or Logic or even OSX work better now -
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

Been using Logic since ver 3.5.
Running 20 tracks of vsti's. No issue here.
24+ tracks of audio. Multiple plugs per channel. Buss plugs. Master plugs. Easily over 50% load, sometimes have to freeze tracks (over 100% load).
No fan issues.
YMMV apparently.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Guru

Mine is virtually silent.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
Anyone have the mini elevated for air cooling…. or racked maybe?
been looking at those stands but not sure about having the mini side on.
cheers
M
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

I've got the prev generation quad core i7 Mac Mini here as well. When pushed really hard you can start to notice the fan noise in quiet dead sounding room, but notice as in a very gentle smooth air sound, most of the time its silent. So no, not noisy at all really. Although granted mine sits under the desk on a block of foam on top of my PC Desktop, were it sitting actually on the desk right in front of me it might be more noticeable.
Old 19th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Anyone have the mini elevated for air cooling…. or racked maybe?
been looking at those stands but not sure about having the mini side on.
cheers
M
Yeah, I've got one of those vertical alloy stands (purchased on amazon). Not sure if it makes mini running any cooler than normal flat, non elevated position - never compared it like that. Works well (ssd drive) no issues and saves a lot of space. However I only use mini at home so usually small track count and workload. Never got it beyond 25% workload in PT and haven't heard the fan yet.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HwSpring View Post
Yeah, I've got one of those vertical alloy stands (purchased on amazon). Not sure if it makes mini running any cooler than normal flat, non elevated position - never compared it like that. Works well (ssd drive) no issues and saves a lot of space. However I only use mini at home so usually small track count and workload. Never got it beyond 25% workload in PT and haven't heard the fan yet.
Good to know..i,ll try one, see if i prefer it.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input guys.

Truth is, i've put the idea on ice for now. I started the thread largely because a new/unopened 2012 server Mac Mini was listed on Ebay locally... but upon a bit further investigation, it seems the next gen Mac Mini is due to his the shelves any day, and same goes for the Mac Pro. I might just wait and see what these two upcoming options bring to the table before I do any technology shuffle in my den.
Old 20th November 2015
Hello che_guitarra,
I cannot locate the "new/unopened 2012 server Mac Mini was listed on Ebay locally" where FFS is it?
THANK YOU
Sincerely
rksguit
...and have a lovely"non fan-noise day"

Last edited by rksguit; 20th November 2015 at 04:06 AM..
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Ended @ 8am this morning mate. Ended up going for $1250, and had 16GB of Crucial RAM thrown in with the deal.

Don't know whether to slap myself for not bidding, or pat myself on the back for my discipline.
Old 20th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post
Ended @ 8am this morning mate. Ended up going for $1250, and had 16GB of Crucial RAM thrown in with the deal.

Don't know whether to slap myself for not bidding, or pat myself on the back for my discipline.
Thanks for the heads up! 2012 was supposedly last of Quad,as you more than likely know,but refresh "Skylake" could be interesting,though I do not know?
Old 20th November 2015
Here for the gear

I don't think apple will update Mini before spring 2016, at least based on the availability of new chips and the fact that apple "choked" a little bit on 2012 quad I7 mini success... I've looked up new chips line up and it doesn't look like updated mini would get quad, maybe as an option but they most likely do not want another "iMac/Mac Pro killer" like the 2012 mini was. I hope I'm wrong
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search