The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bye bye mouse
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

bye bye mouse

i'm a 20 year old with the beginning stages of carpal tunnel thanks mainly to playing bass, but i think editing with a mouse has also contributed very much to it. thus i will be ditching my mouse, hopefully for good. i'm going to pick up a wacom tablet which i've hears is good for wrist and hopefully will reduce my pain and numbness as well as a griffin powermate for scrolling and a presonus faderport to help ditch some of my keystrokes too. i wish i had three hands. anyone else using a tablet or any of the other devices? i thought a trackball might help but unfortunatly its just as much of a pain and i just can't get used to it. but here goes my attempt at ditching the mouse, wish me luck.

topher.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

trackball feels pretty good here. a client of mine uses a joystick type thing that he swears by.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

I have used the Logitech trackball for many years and love it.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Trackball user here as well. Can't be beat for editing.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Head

Trackball not better for me

I damaged my shoulder doing some extreme drum editing a few years ago with a trackball. I'm seriously looking at the WACOM or joystick route... What kind of joystick is that?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

This has saved me:

http://www.ergokomfort.com/catalog/e..._2_3940639.htm

It takes about 15 minutes to get used to it, and the button placement. Then there's no going back. I've also thought about a tablet. Sound On Sound had a good round up on tablets and other non-mouse entry devices:

http://www.soundonsound.com

Search for "Pointing Devices For The PC Musician". I think you need to be a subscbriber, online or paper, to access the reviews.

Good luck!
Old 19th January 2007
i switched to the thumbside trackball @ work which has pretty much eliminated any carpal tunnel pain. the center ball didnt seem to help much @ all.
Old 19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsmack View Post
I damaged my shoulder doing some extreme drum editing a few years ago with a trackball. I'm seriously looking at the WACOM or joystick route... What kind of joystick is that?
don't know this guy from lucas films had one and he said alot of the audio guys are using it. it was like an infrared mouse with a joystick grip and a thumb button. funny looking device.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

i love this mouse

http://www.aerobicmouse.com/welcome/

and a note-like many forms of physical pain, carpal tunnel is often brought on by stress... carpal tunnel, back pain, shoulder pain, ulcers...they are often the same as having a stress headache....most people don't believe or know this and therefore continue to have pain issues...back pain is the most common one. i had horrible shoulder pain for years and thought that it had a lot to do with my excessive practicing and computer work. i was sure of it because the pain always got worse when i played a lot, or worked on the computer a lot. when i couldn't find any help with doctors, i looked into a book that friends had told me about for years and its something that I had heard Howard Stern mention had changed his life. - a book by john sarno called "the mind body prescription". after reading it, my pain went away. changed my life. another good one is "rapid recovery from back and neck pain" by harold emir. and the most famous is "healing back pain" by john sarno. i know tons of people whose lives were changed by reading these books. people who would never believe their pain was stress related. from really messed up pain dominated lives to pain-free...just by having the knowledge of the relationship between the mind and the body. might no apply to you, but always worth a look.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I use a combination of a wacom tablet and a regular Logitech wireless mouse.
Switching between the two gives me a rest from each and I have less carpel tunnel issues.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
don't know this guy from lucas films had one and he said alot of the audio guys are using it. it was like an infrared mouse with a joystick grip and a thumb button. funny looking device.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rgonomicmouse/

I use one of these at work and a kensington trackball at home. i prefer the trackball but i figure the variety is a good thing
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I've dealt with wrist and hand problems like those off and on over the years. I first injured my wrist while playing upright bass. I was right in the middle of a jazz tune and suddenly I just couldn't move my left hand anymore and in a lot of pain. I had to stop playing for 6 months! Then, off and on, though the years, I've had it with using keyboards and mice. Here's what worked for me:

- Have several different mouse/trackball options. Switch options frequently as each one uses different muscles and will allow others to rest.

- Learn to mouse/trackball with your left (or other) hand. Switch it up often.

- Buy a hand/wrist brace(s). You can get these at almost any drug store.

- If you are in pain. STOP! Take a break. Do not push yourself as you might seriously injure yourself.

Good luck!

-Kenny D
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Offset all those hours sat in your chair with some Tai Chi....or Yoga..

Zz.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

You are having serious issues at 20? Yikes! sucks man
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

When I was having mouse problems, I got a Cirque CAT touchpad. It's like the touchpad from a laptop, but it plugs into a desktop.

It helped because it didn't take much effort to work it...the touch sensor is pretty sensitive. It also makes scrolling really easy...the scroll wheel on a mouse is murder for me if I use it too much.

Finally, it's small enough that you can put it where it's comfortable - on the arm of your chair or in your lap.

Since it's USB, you can use it in conjunction with a mouse, and alternate so you don't wear yourself out with either one.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
You are having serious issues at 20? Yikes! sucks man
i had serious issuse when i was 17 , guitar did it to me the first time, bass kept it me in paid for a few years, now I virtually dont play string instruments, stale sound really anyway IMO

ive had used a Kensington trackball, scroll wheel stuffed up though, now i just use a light mouse and move it with my fingertips with both hands, like i used my trackball
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

so was the carpel tunnel caused by playing guitar/bass while holding it improperly or by using a mouse?

i always see people who think its cool to have their guitar as low as possible which causes them to bend their wrist in an awkward position to play it, but they don't care cause it looks cool.

not saying you do/did that, just curious as to what caused it.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

my hand starts to hurt when i play chords that stretch out about 5 frets on the lower frets(1-9 or so) i just started staying away from those chords, or figuring out different ways to play them and now im fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswinger View Post

i always see people who think its cool to have their guitar as low as possible which causes them to bend their wrist in an awkward position to play it, but they don't care cause it looks cool.
i keep my guitar really high for comfort and accuracy. i may look like a geek, but no one talks sh*t when they hear whats comin out of the guitar

didnt mean to hijack, i know this is a mouse thread! all these mice look very tempting compared to my stock apple mouse.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys, unfortunatly i jsut can't get used to a trackball, but i've only used the center ones so maybe i'll give one of the offset ones a try as per your reccomendations, i'm also digging that vertical mouse, which seems like a real good idea and little getting used to. as per wearing my bass too low, nah not me, its up on my chest, when its electric, but the main problem seems to be from the years of upright bass, cuppled with using a mouse all day. thanks a whole lot everyone, very helpful information!

topher.
Old 19th January 2007
I hate trackballs:D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search