The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Universal Audio?

Do they have a faster UAD-1 card yet, dammit?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My UAD-1 card ran a 3 minute mile once. That fast enough for you?
Old 18th January 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

they've released a laptop solution:

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/5040/
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

It really wouldn't seem logical for them to come out with a new card since the PCIe version just started shipping a few months ago.

Yet, as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think that placing 2 chips on 1 full-length PCIe card would be too much to - ask would it? That would definitely be a "UAD-2" ;p
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I really want to buy some of the newer plugs, but every one they release takes up a full card just to run.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
they've released a laptop solution:

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/5040/

Pictures?! Processing power?! Please
Old 18th January 2007
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

are they not capable of coming up with a proper new card or do they use this way of under-powering to force us to buy more cards? either way...i'm loosing faith in this company.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
are they not capable of coming up with a proper new card or do they use this way of under-powering to force us to buy more cards? either way...i'm loosing faith in this company.
Considering that many of their customers would be glad to fill their system with 4 UAD-2 cards instead of 4 UAD-1 cards, I doubt they're keeping it down on purpose. Maybe someone over there wants the next card to be something revolutionary and they just haven't figured out what'll be revolutionary about it yet.

Sure wish they'd hurry though.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhunt View Post

Sure wish they'd hurry though.
Yeah, I don't care about revolutionary, I care about being able to run their damn plugs!
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict
they tried to sell us MULTI CARD SETUPS for years (and had success with me)
because of a non-existent NEW, more powerful card
and now they try to sell us a ONE CARD solution ??!? tutt
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I find it amusing that UAD keep reminding their customers how much better and faster PCIe is than PCI or Firewire or USB 2.0 or Ethernet, yet they have so far failed to deliver a product that actually USES the extra bandwidth.

Why didn't they at least think to make 4 of the UAD-Xpanders linkable? Or remove the four card limit so people could use a bigger expansion chassis?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The answer is simple: NO :-(
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

UA was very clever to get so much performance out of an old media chip. I read the spec sheet on it a few years ago, and thought cool, but we'd end up in the place we are today.

I'm worried that if they pick a new chip, perhaps something from NVIDIA, or maybe even an FPGA would be a good idea (if we follow the Fairlight example).

I'm betting it'll be an FPGA, for they're cheaper than modern high performance graphics chips, and could be designed to resemble their existing interfaces somewhat.

Personally, I'd like to see something about 16x the performance on one card at the very least. It's about time that UA tech follow Moore's Law.

Quote:
Old 19th January 2007
I think many guys have a Mac Pro with a Protools HD3 and think is enough power !! so why they dont release a box via Firewire..... so then we can use a UAD1.....I think is not logical to buy an expansion chassis(too expensive) for using only one o two UAD 1s...if other company could do it why not UA.!!!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowSills View Post
I find it amusing that UAD keep reminding their customers how much better and faster PCIe is than PCI or Firewire or USB 2.0 or Ethernet, yet they have so far failed to deliver a product that actually USES the extra bandwidth.

Why didn't they at least think to make 4 of the UAD-Xpanders linkable? Or remove the four card limit so people could use a bigger expansion chassis?
well I really don't know how much better is a PCIe comparing with PVCI.
Last NAAM I was talking with one of the big guys at UA: so I said to him I own a UAD PCI and I wonder how much faster and better would be the new PCIe ..so I may change it!! he said:"Really insignificant...is not worth it if you already own a UAD-1 PCI"...who understand that move???

I think an external box with more power would be a significant progress for UAD1!!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
well I really don't know how much better is a PCIe comparing with PVCI.
Last NAAM I was talking with one of the big guys at UA: so I said to him I own a UAD PCI and I wonder how much faster and better would be the new PCIe ..so I may change it!! he said:"Really insignificant...is not worth it if you already own a UAD-1 PCI"...who understand that move???

I think an external box with more power would be a significant progress for UAD1!!
Amiel I think the point of the PCIe cards was so that people could use their cards on new motherboards - particularly to avoid the cost of buying Magma type expanders.

Seeing as the UAD-1 is based on a now rather ancient VLIW based dsp I expect that transferring to another architecture is a nontrivial task to be sure. I'd venture to guess part of the reason for stopping TDM development is partially related to this (as well as keeping interest in the cards by developing the Neve and other modules). Plus they probably have a bazillion of the chips left.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
well I really don't know how much better is a PCIe comparing with PCI.
Well, PCIe has a huge bandwidth improvement over PCI - but UA hasn't yet come out with a card which takes advantage of that. The UAD-1 PCIe card has the same DSP chip as the UAD-1 PCI card, which is why the UA guy said it wasn't worth it if you own a PCI version already.
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowSills View Post
Well, PCIe has a huge bandwidth improvement over PCI - but UA hasn't yet come out with a card which takes advantage of that. The UAD-1 PCIe card has the same DSP chip as the UAD-1 PCI card, which is why the UA guy said it wasn't worth it if you own a PCI version already.
correct!!
so why they did not take advantage of that?
also a magma is too expensive and doesnt have a PCIe to PCIe chassis yet. we PT HD3 users with a Mac pro can not use a uad 1..not enough slots on a Mac pro (3) !!
I really think a UAD1 via firewire and more powerful will be a big hit!!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
correct!!
also a magma is too expensive and doesnt have a PCIe to PCIe chassis yet. we PT HD3 users with a Mac pro can not use a uad 1..not enough slots on a Mac pro (3) !!
Maybe you missed my post or perhaps I didn't make my reasoning clear enough. Let me try to explain:

Making a more powerful UAD-1 type card would require either a) placing multiple chips on a card which means that engineering work to cool it and get the chips to communicate with each other would need to be done (to the best of my knowledge the Mpact chips were never designed for this) or b) going to an entirely new (for UA) chip architecture.

Chromatic Research (long ago swallowed up by ATI) manufactured these chips last in 1998 long before PCIe was even an idea. It is highly unlikely that there'd be much benefit in any way to going to the new bus since these were media dsps that were designed to be VGA multifunction cards using the PCI bus.

Mobility makes a PCIe adapter to their Magma chassis which was what I was referencing (as most mobos no longer have many - or any PCI slots).

A firewire box would probably be a good idea but it wouldn't be more powerful and would cost more. If I were UA I wouldn't until I had a new chip architecture in place (to save engineering costs). Additionally they're getting away from all the firewire chipset related problems that most external boxes have.
Old 19th January 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Is bandwidth the issue or CPU impact. It seems that the PCI cards would be fine if the on board processor did MORE of the work?

Am I missing something here?

Please advise.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
correct!!

Why didn't they take advantage of the extra bandwidth? That's what everyone wants to know. Only they know for sure.

I agree that a FireWire UA box would be a big hit. But people have been asking them to do one for a long long time and they've pretty much said it's never going to happen.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I remember a fe wyears ago... after the Mackie UAD-1 came out, UA announced the UAD-8. it was a more powerful firewire UAD processing box.

Suddenly it disappeared.

Hopefully it'll make a come back soon.

-s0nguy
Old 19th January 2007
More cowbell!

With the 64 bit drivers coming (or already come) and us moving to VISTA using AMD Dual/Dual, I expect improved sonic results.

As far as pipeline issues, I've yet to experience any problems with rapidity of response, or "lag." Otherwise, the cards support the number and type of plugs used as promised by the company.

We regularly work at 60-80 tracks using a single UAD1 (regular PCI) and have zero issues. We have had songs using 3-4 Fairchild, LA2A, verb 140, and Pultec-Pros, all stereo, no problem. We look forward to going fully 64 bit with our Lynx Aurora conversion, SONAR 6, and UAD.

Thus far, we do not need another card, as the UAD is mainly a compression emulation, and we otherwise prefer EQ, Verbs, etc. with hardware or other plugs.

Speed of response seems like a non-issue, imo. If one has such difficulties, perhaps the computer configuation is at fault. But, whatever.

Since we tend to work towards realistic and natural sounds, given our limitations, we perhaps do not have the demands someone wanting synthetic or highly processed results would require.

Best,

KT
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

SBS makes a PCI-e to PCI - up to 13 slots - http://www.gefanucembedded.com/products/family/32/

GE bought SBS / 3bit

I'm hoping UA at least removes the 4 card limit so we can max out the 7 or 13 slot expansion chassis
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
I remember a fe wyears ago... after the Mackie UAD-1 came out, UA announced the UAD-8. it was a more powerful firewire UAD processing box.

Suddenly it disappeared.

Hopefully it'll make a come back soon.

-s0nguy
that's waaay inaccurate. the UAD-8 was the same as the UAD-1 with 8 channels of in an out via ADAT. It had the same DSP as the UAD-1 and was not firewire.
Old 19th January 2007
Well..I really love UAD-1 Plug ins...but I think I will just keep my 2 cards in the closet just in case they decide to make an external box via firewire.
so just I keep all the plug ins!
Is so frustrating to dont be able to use the UAD-1 because I have an HD3 Accell and there is not more than 3 free slots in the Mac Pro!

Many people say that all that plug ins can be replaced by many TDM o RTAS plug ins....if that is the case I have to investigate that and say : Bye bye UAD-1.!!!!

I am not really know which plug ins can replace the LA-2A , the Pultecs, Nigel, and the NEVE 1073.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicpieces View Post
that's waaay inaccurate. the UAD-8 was the same as the UAD-1 with 8 channels of in an out via ADAT. It had the same DSP as the UAD-1 and was not firewire.
WHOA... youre right... my memory aint what it never was.

Thanks for the correction.

Lets just hope that they come out with something cool soon. The UAD-1 is a bit looooong in the tooth.

-s0nguy
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well..I really love UAD-1 Plug ins...but I think I will just keep my 2 cards in the closet just in case they decide to make an external box via firewire.
so just I keep all the plug ins!
Is so frustrating to dont be able to use the UAD-1 because I have an HD3 Accell and there is not more than 3 free slots in the Mac Pro!

Many people say that all that plug ins can be replaced by many TDM o RTAS plug ins....if that is the case I have to investigate that and say : Bye bye UAD-1.!!!!

I am not really know which plug ins can replace the LA-2A , the Pultecs, Nigel, and the NEVE 1073.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, you took the words right out of my mouth! I love the sound of the UA plugs, own all of them and have two cards, but I also have a HD3 system and no longer want the UA dongles inside my machine I need to make room for the Digi dongles. It's really too bad that UA dropped support for TDM, and are pushing TDM users in this predicament, and folks think Digi plays ruff........

Last edited by Mind-Over-Midi; 19th January 2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Something to do with grammer.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Isn't there a UA rep here on the board we can yell at?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search