The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think is the best DAW ? DAW Software
Old 14th November 2015
Here for the gear

What do you think is the best DAW ?

Old 15th November 2015
havent tried protools or logic, etc, but i doubt they are better than cubase
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Mixbus works for me. Not that you have a lot of options on Linux... It's an interesting one because it contains lots of Harrison Consoles algorithms for things like mixing and tape saturation.
Old 16th November 2015
I've used many and most are good. However I mainly use Pro Tools as it interfaces best with other pro studios.
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

My DAW
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

Best for what?

-Interface with the audio community? PT all the way.
-Value and ease of use? maybe... Logic Pro X?
-Best DAW that comes free with interface? MOTU Audiodesk
-MIDI, EDM and Virtual instuments? maybe... Steinberg Cubase?
-Coolest virtual gear rack? Reason (probably strong contender for MIDI and EDM stuff)
-Best for non-pros just goofing around once a month? prolly Garageband

And on and on. Choose your weapon.
Old 16th November 2015
It really just comes down to what you already know.

I use digital performer. I have since ver 4. I think it's your best bang-for-the-buck DAW short of Logic Pro X, but you're talking about Apple competing with a much smaller team that only makes audio stuff.

When it comes to a DAW, there's a few things to consider:
AAF interchange compatibility
whether or not you need deep midi integration
built-in synths
built-in plugins
Plugin format for 3rd party plugins

For most modern DAWs, all of those are in place (PT doesn't use AAF unless you have a $500 add-on last I checked, though) so it really comes down to the one you want to use. For me, the film-scoring features in DP keep me around as I occasionally score films.
Old 16th November 2015
My analog console. No computer can sound like that thing does.

"A man's got to know his limitations" ~ Dirty Harry
Old 16th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
My analog console. No computer can sound like that thing does.

"A man's got to know his limitations" ~ Dirty Harry
An analog console is only part of the equation. Are you tracking to tape? What size tape are you using? What brand tape are you buying? What IPS do you set it to?

Analog consoles only replace the signal routing of a DAW. It won't replace the recording, editing, or midi-sequencing as consoles aren't built to do these things.

I use a Tascam M-2516 myself for my analog console.
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

These kinds of open-ended questions just lead to 'my DAW is best and you don't know' answers.

You should rather try to rephrase this into a question based on these are my needs, which DAW would cover those cases. Not that most if not all DAWs could do anything today.

Also based on the numbers of the OP this could be an amateur troll.
Old 16th November 2015
I'm in the minority probably, but ABLETON LIVE.

Tracking vocals is super easy... very quick editing...

It comes from a musician's POV instead of an engineer's... great for remixing tracks, warping imperfect takes, auditioning different arrangements...

Fun to use and abuse... the only DAW you can really play like an instrument...

And PUSH is a great way to work as well.
Old 16th November 2015
Here for the gear

The one you use!
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Nut

What.... is your favorite DAW?

Reaper... no, Cubase..... no, Pres... aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

(credits to Monty Python )
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Nut

overall Ableton Live
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

I use reason. YMMV. IBTPL.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

In it's concept?

Garageband.
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Pro Tools is overpriced, lacks midi functionality and is unnecessary unless you want compatibility with the majority of pro studios (though this is changing).
Logic is cheap and well-featured, with decent plugins.
Cubase is expensive but the most comprehensive DAW currently, with class-leading MIDI functionality and efficient new audio engine.
Studio One is intuitive to use, has great work flow and audio functionality and lots of (mediocre) vsts and vstis.
Reaper is cheap, super optimised and tweakable but initially confusing and lacking polish.
Ableton is for EDM and autistic teenagers.

Essentially all modern DAWs are awesome and for most people the differences are so slight it's just a case of what you can afford/like the look of.
I use Cubase 8 at home to write on, Studio One v3 at home to master on and Pro Tools/Logic at work to record on. If I had to pick one I'd probably choose Cubase but that might just be because I've been using it longer.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonia View Post
The one that works for you.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

The one you learn how to use and are confortable with.
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Addict

Sagan Technologies Metro 7 is great For smaller projects. You can learn to use this minimalist DAW with strong midi implementation in a few hours. It is only 64-bit on the Windows side though. It seems to be a more traditional songwriter's dream DAW.

It's hard to beat Logic Pro X for over-all features and price but you also have to consider the hardware investment that goes along with it. Apple's latest desktop Mac offerings are not exactly musician friendly.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

They are all good, offering far more than what the average musician needs.

Which one is best depends on how closely a certain DAW matches a user's preferences, needs, workflow, experience, genre, etc.
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
The DAW that glows in the dark is always the best one!
Old 17th November 2015
Here for the gear

The best DAW is the one which works best for you. I use Sonar, S1 for basic stuff but my main DAW is Cubase for years.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

If you ask that question to circa 1607 members on this forum, here are the results you may get:
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015

:-)
Old 18th November 2015
Here for the gear
About 20 years ago Keyboard or Electronic Musician did a nice story comparing the main "sequencers." It included a series of charts listing each one's main features, so the readers could actually look at the charts and decide which program best met their needs.

Since then, things have gotten more complex. I haven't seen any detailed feature comparisons in ages. I tend to agree with those who say to go with the one that you have learned and that makes sense for you.

I'm very happy with Sonar, BTW.

Mitch I.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Maniac

You guys can't be serious!

Has the OP really just asked for the best DAW even though there are one million threads about this topic?

And even more ridiculously, have 25 people just seriously given their opinion for the millionth time?

Does anyone know the movie Groundhog Day? Look it up.

You guys are ridiculous, all of you
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear
I finally gave up on Pro Tools and have settled back in with Samplitude. And now I'm a happy camper. Life is good.

Quote:
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

You do realize that this exact comment has been posted on basically all the "best daw" threads, too, right? Looks like you're now a part of Groundhog Day. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post

Has the OP really just asked for the best DAW even though there are one million threads about this topic?

And even more ridiculously, have 25 people just seriously given their opinion for the millionth time?

Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post

You see the irony, right?
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
havent tried protools or logic, etc, but i doubt they are better than cubase
Yeah because everyone knows that if you have never tried a specific piece of gear whether it's hardware or software, that makes you an expert on it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search