The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign Releases @ NAMM!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
I gotta say, for the 'REEL TAPE Suite' ;

I'm really not a big fan of the GUI. The Still Image of the Tape Reel is a major waste of desktop real estate. I hope they sound good, but the GUI could be a touch better even though to be honest I am a fan of pretty but functional gui's.

Make the controls easier to read and loose the Tape Reel.
Is there yet a way in Protools to view ONLY the controls like you can in Logic for any given plug? Or are you stuck with seeing all the eyecandy?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
My personal view has always been that a manufacturer should be happy to instruct you on the functional aspects of equipment they want to sell you at no charge, after all it's in their interest.

Regards

Roland
Many Companies do that already - They are called instruction manuals. Hence the old saying RTFM! =)

Not trying to be a prick just sayin' they already do instruct you. Certification requires work on they're and your part to ensure your understanding and competency. Someone has to instruct you, and that person needs to be paid. time is money right?

We'll start a new thread later about Certification
Old 18th January 2007
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I suppose 'Cubendo' certification is money well spent right?
Yeah, well, don't have or need one of those either.

what's next, an Apple certification program to prove you know how to switch on your Mac?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My personal view has always been that a manufacturer should be happy to instruct you on the functional aspects of equipment they want to sell you at no charge, after all it's in their interest.

Regards

Roland
Cisco, IBM, Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, Apple, et al will vehemently disagree with you.

They all make a nice chunk of change charging extortionist rates for training and Certification.
Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

Ya know, I'm kinda surprised that with all the 003 hype and rumors that have been going around, that this weak showing by digi doesn't have more of you pissed off. Or maybe everyone's expectations of digi weren't as high as I thought they were. Or maybe the prosumers aren't off work yet. Either way, I personally find it frustrating that the public has asking for this for a long while now and they yet again don't deliver. I guess Black Lion will be getting some more business now (from me anyway).
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Any PT certification is money flushed down the toilet.
unless your job is paying.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Ahhh, I love not having to think...

OK..let's see if this explanation works...Digital recording, as it exists today, is VERY close to be able to be "transparent." This means, simply, that material in vs the original will be nearly identical. Yes, nearly is the key word here, and in this context, nearly is a very,very,very fine sliver of measurement.

Many people like the distortion that analogue technologies impart on material. Some people feel that digital recording "sounds harsh," comparitively. "Reel Tape" and like plug-ins allow the end user to impose a controllable amount of distortion of a type that is similar to that imposed by the analogue realm. (yes, I realize that there are those that claim this can never really be done)

Bottom line: Digital is there, pristine and clean. Analogue is NOT. You cannot remove analogue from analogue (duh). You can, however, add in as much of that "analogue" as you like in varying tastes, degrees and flavours, to digital. Not everyone wants their audio to be as pristine as digital can offer.

I'd rather have a strong distaste for intolerance than waste time hating a big company. Then again, I guess it is amusing...and sad...

Oh- and the GUI- yeah, not diggin the huge reels either...maybe if they spun and made neat cartoon representations of something to distract me...or a shiny bauble...or some catnip...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotik1 View Post
unless your job is paying.
If your job needs to pay to send you to Digi school, they've hired the wrong person.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Y. View Post
Ya know, I'm kinda surprised that with all the 003 hype and rumors that have been going around, that this weak showing by digi doesn't have more of you pissed off
Here's my theory on that: a lot of people want new Digi hardware, but a lot more don't want their current hardware to become outdated. Most Digi customers, especially HD owners, just breathed a huge sigh of relief. I just bought a Macbook, and every Apple event that doesn't have a new, completely redesigned Macbook I'll feel the same way
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Y. View Post
Ya know, I'm kinda surprised that with all the 003 hype and rumors that have been going around, that this weak showing by digi doesn't have more of you pissed off.
The 003 hype has been continuously happening for the past 3 years before most every industry show. Not really much of a suprise... well, to me at least. I've been at the "believe it when I see it" phase for some time.
---
c
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I was incredibly pissed off this morning. I felt like a kid waking up on Christmas to find that Santa had taken a **** under the tree. I don't understand why Digidesign cant offer some sort of "ADC Toolkit" and charge some disgusting amount. Fuc**rs tutt
Old 19th January 2007
djs
Gear Nut

the only reason i haven't ditched digi yet is because i have so much invested in the plugs. i won't hold out much longer though, and when i leave, i won't be going back. i wish i could say i was surprised. logic/ensemble looks better every day!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
the only reason i haven't ditched digi yet is because i have so much invested in the plugs. i won't hold out much longer though, and when i leave, i won't be going back. i wish i could say i was surprised. logic/ensemble looks better every day!
I've made it a point to purchase ONLY plugins that come in both AU and RTAS formats, so I can bop back and forth between PT and Logic.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

What are you holding out for? Does your system not work for you any longer? So if they had come out with something new how long would it take before you, yet again, wanted something to replace that piece? I have no problem at all with a company taking their time to get things right instead of just rushing stuff out there just because their consumers have ADD and can't play with the same toy for more than a couple years. Sorry to rant but I feel it's kind of pointless whining about a company just because you expected something and didn't get it.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
'...company taking their time to get things right instead of just rushing stuff out there just because their consumers have ADD and can't play with the same toy for more than a couple years."
LMAO

Cheers man - 10 points for style

Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many Companies do that already - They are called instruction manuals. Hence the old saying RTFM! =)

Not trying to be a prick just sayin' they already do instruct you. Certification requires work on they're and your part to ensure your understanding and competency. Someone has to instruct you, and that person needs to be paid. time is money right?

We'll start a new thread later about Certification
I hear what you are saying, my only point is I'm not expecting certification, but I would expect to have enough knowledge buying into a system to be able to switch it on, set it up and know where everything should go. It suprises me how much gear and software is sold without a decent getting started overview, I find it frustrating trying to get the start up out of a badly explained manual (like most of them are), when a resonably knoweldgeable person can get you through most of the basics in an hour. It's not like these systems are only a couple of hundred pounds.

Regards

Roland
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
If your job needs to pay to send you to Digi school, they've hired the wrong person.
not true, the AV / Graphic design department at my job all go to PT training.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon2911 View Post
Here's my theory on that: a lot of people want new Digi hardware, but a lot more don't want their current hardware to become outdated. Most Digi customers, especially HD owners, just breathed a huge sigh of relief. I just bought a Macbook, and every Apple event that doesn't have a new, completely redesigned Macbook I'll feel the same way
Me too, with my newly upgraded 001 > 002R 'legacy exchange' and MacPro
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Regards

Roland
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I called yesterday and found out that I had in fact just made my last lease payment on my HD rig. I sent them a check today for the 1$ buyout and now it is mine. All mine. I figured with the luck I have and the timing that I would wake up and see all new hardware. Glad in this case that I didn't and now I can take that lease payment money and put it in the bank every month for whenever and whatever the next incarnation of Pro-Tools comes along.

If you don't have a system that works for you then find one that does. If your 002 isn't working up to your needs then go lease or buy an HD system. Don't bitch about it on a forum. My motto is "Quit your bitching and just start fixing!" I know it isn't easy to fork over the coin for an HD system. It wasn't easy for me and I was leasing it. But if you make your living doing this in a professional manner and you don't have the right tools then get them.

As far as Pro-Tools certification goes? **** that!!! I can't tell you how many assistants or interns I have had that were PT certified. They couldn't figure there way out of a paper bag. If your certified and your still asking me 100 times a day what short cut I just used to do that then your a total idiot.

As far as Icon training goes the price seems very steep but since the studio that I have my mix room in, just put in a D-Command I could use a couple of good hours finding all those little short cuts. The problem is that I only track in that room so when I only get on it once every week or two I either forget the shortcuts or I am just not as fast as I would be if I was mixing on it everyday. The Icon is a deep system and every little bit helps if you have the money to spend on it.

Just my .02cents!!

Michael Greene
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
MAN! am i in the same boat... i guess i was wishing something else would be released, but after messing with the ensemble, i'm pretty sold on the native system
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I thought that several people "had it on good authority" from their dealers/inside people that the new Protools Digi003 was coming out at this show?

Some similar people were saying that Logic 8 was coming out.

Funny, the same people were saying that 8-core macs were coming out this month too.

Just saying, that these people with "inside knowledge" are generally full of it. They were so sure of themselves, and look... plugins. Whoo!

Didn't Digidesign spend quite a few years telling us how bad tape was and how Protools had the perfect sound?
Well, I started a new thread in Gearslutz and told everyone that there would be no new hardware, that there would probably be a new sampler and maybe a few other software surprises so that people would just calm down and not get disappointed.

But, as I'm learning, people crave disappointment almost as much as some crave to hate Digidesign.

Go figure.

Personally, as an ITB mixer, I love a good "analogue" plugin. Used right they give you a huge new variety of sounds to play with. I'm looking forward to it.

the tortoise
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

Just because your department sends people to PT training doesn't make what he is saying untrue. Add this simple addition to your employment criteria and you will skip the very need to send people to an expensive lecture to learn things they should already know.

- Must be fluent using Protools
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

WTF are Graphics people doing that they need to know PT's?
Unless it's a case that you work for a company too cheap to hire experienced audio people. So, they're havign the grpahics/AV folks doing the audio.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
As far as Icon training goes the price seems very steep but since the studio that I have my mix room in, just put in a D-Command I could use a couple of good hours finding all those little short cuts.
And when you spend 100k on a controller, you should get some free training IMO.
But then, we are talking about a company that nickel and dimes you after spending 100k, and will still charge you for Digitranslator, and machine control.
Old 19th January 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
...I was able to explain the procontrol in about 5 minutes to any assistant/intern/drummer that cared to know...

Man, for some reason, this made me laugh out loud. It has nothing to do with Digi, ICON, or ProControl. I laughed at the assistant/intern/drummer comment.

Classic.

...still laughing...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And when you spend 100k on a controller, you should get some free training IMO.
But then, we are talking about a company that nickel and dimes you after spending 100k, and will still charge you for Digitranslator, and machine control.
Well I don't always care for your Digidesign bitching and to be honest I like your posts in general but tune you out when it comes to your Digidesign rants...... But I have to agree with you on all the points. The problem is that the dealers in general know even less about the control surface than the people buying them. Even good dealers are their to sell product but don't really know **** about the everyday workings of what actually goes on in the studio. Lets be honest. If they did do you think they would be selling gear? I think not.

Don't even get me started on the Digitranslator issue. After putting it off for 8 years and saying that I would NEVER cave into their extortion with this product I finally gave in this last year when more and more of my clients who work in other programs started doing bigger and bigger sessions with more elements that not only took to much time to merge together but then took even more time to import and consolidate in. My bigger issue with Digitranslator is that not all of the functions and settings translate properly. Perhaps it is the user on the other end making the OMF file but I have had huge problems with markers and tempo maps either not importing or not being imported properly. So I paid $400+ for a product that is still a bit buggy!!! Days like that make me feel like I flushed a wallet full of cash down the toilet.

I think (And who really cares what the hell I think) that Digidesign needs to do a better Icon commisioning system that not only includes the installation but also a 1 or 2 day training period on using the control surface. Much more in line with what SSL does when they sell a big console. I agree for 100K what would at least 1 day with a qualified instructor really do to the profit structure.

Michael Greene
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gotta say, for the 'REEL TAPE Suite' ;

I'm really not a big fan of the GUI. The Still Image of the Tape Reel is a major waste of desktop real estate. .
do you want it to spin faster as u increase the mix/intensity haha
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Don't even get me started on the Digitranslator issue. After putting it off for 8 years and saying that I would NEVER cave into their extortion with this product I finally gave in this last year when more and more of my clients who work in other programs started doing bigger and bigger sessions with more elements that not only took to much time to merge together but then took even more time to import and consolidate in. My bigger issue with Digitranslator is that not all of the functions and settings translate properly. Perhaps it is the user on the other end making the OMF file but I have had huge problems with markers and tempo maps either not importing or not being imported properly. So I paid $400+ for a product that is still a bit buggy!!! Days like that make me feel like I flushed a wallet full of cash down the toilet.

I've had much better luck using EDL Convert pro when having to translate sessions, and it's much cheaper. I now have digitranslator on my M-Powered systema swell. So, I'm pretty much covered for most formats.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search