The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a replacement for Tone2 Firebird. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

Need a replacement for Tone2 Firebird.

Hey all, I'm switching from Windows to Mac and the only VST I love to death and can't use on Mac is Firebird (it also doesn't work so well in Cubase anymore since it's 32-bit). Does anyone know of a similar synth that runs on Mac (needs to be VST)? Firebird is unique in that it's a super easy-to-use synth that has such a great, ballsy sound that even Tone2's other synths don't have (I use them for other things, but nothing beats Firebird for its particular sound and quickness-to-use).

Obviously another company will not have the exact thing that makes Firebird so unique (the Harmonic Content Morphing), but what would people here (who really KNOW Firebird and how it works/sounds) recommend as something that's in the same ballpark? Firebird really nailed it with super fast, simplified and intuitive interface that somehow enables you to go pretty deep, accompanied by a raunchy, big sound.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by noah440; 12th November 2015 at 08:30 PM..
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Addict

Hey,

I am big fan of Firebird too though I am not using that much anymore. Still a good one if I need something pretty fast.

I think you nailed the strength of Firebird pretty well: HCM, simple layout and a bunch of Filters & FX. I also dig the Arp and the LFO patterns. The only drawback for me so far is that there is only one free running LFO wave form. All of the others do reset.

But anyways, taking all the above into acount (especially the HCM and the ****load of Waveforms) with such a simple layout then there is no other synth I am aware of.

If you own Gladiator(2) (I don´t own it but I know it is actually Firebird on Speed) then this would be the only thing similar to Firebird but of course it lacks the simplicity.

Are you looking for another free one or also a paid synth?

Cheers
Sebastian
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halma View Post
Hey,

I am big fan of Firebird too though I am not using that much anymore. Still a good one if I need something pretty fast.

I think you nailed the strength of Firebird pretty well: HCM, simple layout and a bunch of Filters & FX. I also dig the Arp and the LFO patterns. The only drawback for me so far is that there is only one free running LFO wave form. All of the others do reset.

But anyways, taking all the above into acount (especially the HCM and the ****load of Waveforms) with such a simple layout then there is no other synth I am aware of.

If you own Gladiator(2) (I don´t own it but I know it is actually Firebird on Speed) then this would be the only thing similar to Firebird but of course it lacks the simplicity.

Are you looking for another free one or also a paid synth?

Cheers
Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian,

I didn't realize Gladiator was a gussied up Firebird. Either paid or free is perfectly fine -- if it's good I'm happy to pay.
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Addict

The thing is: Gladiator lacks the simplicity of Firebird. That´s exactly why I would favour the small one. And beside the preferences you have everything at a glance (don´t like the weighting of the knob movements though).

I think the OSC section is pretty unique. Tons of Osc Waveforms plus Mods plus Loopmodes (?+-+- is my fav) plus Loopspeed (big fan of the KEY mods 1-8). You don´t have to dial in any Filters to get something special.

I remember Urs (the guy from u-he) wrote on KVR that he tried Lennard Digitals SYLENTH1 once and his experience was that the synth was more or less "perfect" in layout for him what I totally understand. Everything at a glance. Nothing hidden, quick and great sounding results.

And I think the same goes for Firebird. Only a few knobs without any tabs. I dunno any other synth which comes close to this.

This does not mean that LD Sylenth might fit your workflow but I guess that I know what you are looking for.

99% of all synths are the usual suspects. Standard Osc section, standard Filter section plus the usual env/lfo thingies on top of that.

If you are fine with some standard OSC section (no HCM) I think you should give u-he´s HIVE a try. Nothing special like XILS4 (which is more or less totally modular which means "WORK!!!" and a lot of thinking) but very fast and awesome sounding results (at least in my experience after trying the demo). No tabs, everything visible. But unfortunately no HCM.

That was one of the few synths I tried the last years and which blew me totally away because of the simplicity and how quick I could squeeze my sounds out of it.

If you are more into Oscillators maybe some kind of Wavetable synth could be interesting for you but I dunno which one comes close in terms of simplicity (tabs ftw!!!...or not...depends what you are looking for).

I would give Hive a try. Or DUNE 2 which looks promising too if you want some real fat sound. Tbh I don´t own them but I know what thay are capable off.

Hope that helps a little bit. No real Firebird clone but some next generation stuff.

Edit: maybe BeepStreet´s SUNRIZER as well. Mostly VA and classic Waveforms but like HIVE no real hidden tabs and boy...what a sound.

Last edited by Halma; 13th November 2015 at 07:27 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search