The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zoom H4N as Interface? DAW Software
Old 11th November 2015
Zoom H4N as Interface?

My boss wants me to use his Zoom H4N as a USB recording interface. He says he can get it to work with Audition just fine, but not with Pro Tools. I'm curious why it won't just work with Pro Tools; maybe PT needs an external audio card of sorts? Again, running this on his laptop.

So, need to get it working. Also need software solution that will allow to record separate tracks for each input so that recording operator can talk back to the person being recorded without having to open up the recording booth each time the two need to talk. I don't know if Audition can do this or not. I strongly dislike Audition so I've never played with it much.

Any ideas?
Old 11th November 2015
Deleted User
If you're on Windows, try using ASIO4ALL as the audio device. In the ASIO4ALL Offline Settings disable the onboard audio and any other audio device and enable the Zoom H Series. Then select ASIO4ALL in the PT Playback Engine setup. On the Mac select the inputs and outputs for the H4N in the Pro Tools Aggregate Device and then select the aggregate device in your PT Playback Engine setup.

Edit: With ASIO4ALL you can also aggregate devices so that you can select the inputs of the H4N and the onboard or other audio device outputs. If you're just using the H4N then your only choice for output is the headphone jack. Same goes for the Mac aggregate device.

Last edited by chucks; 11th November 2015 at 11:46 PM..
Old 12th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
If you're on Windows, try using ASIO4ALL as the audio device. In the ASIO4ALL Offline Settings disable the onboard audio and any other audio device and enable the Zoom H Series. Then select ASIO4ALL in the PT Playback Engine setup. On the Mac select the inputs and outputs for the H4N in the Pro Tools Aggregate Device and then select the aggregate device in your PT Playback Engine setup.

Edit: With ASIO4ALL you can also aggregate devices so that you can select the inputs of the H4N and the onboard or other audio device outputs. If you're just using the H4N then your only choice for output is the headphone jack. Same goes for the Mac aggregate device.
Thank you for this. So there would be no running out the laptop's headphone jack for live monitoring of effects?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search