The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves Mercury Owners -- WUP? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Waves Mercury Owners -- WUP?

As an owner of Waves' giant "Mercury" bundle, I only noticed recently that my WUP coverage had lapsed… Kind of bums me out that I didn't get any sort of warning about that, but - oh well. Probably nabbed by the SPAM filter.

So I investigated what it would cost to re-activate, and looks like Mercury owners are almost always gonna get hit with the 'maximum' fee, which is $300.

I'm on the fence. That seems like a pretty high price just to 'future proof' the software I already own… And of course, the question is whether or not any new plugins added to the bundle within the next year would be worth the 300 clams.

Curious what other Mercury owners do -- do you automatically just re-up your WUP as the cost of doing business? Or do you let it lapse for a while until there's something worth the $$?

My instinct right now is that $300 is better spent elsewhere, and I've got loads of functionality with all the Waves plugins I'm using now…

Hm.
Old 11th November 2015
Yes, wait until they add something you absolutely *have* to have and then buy WUP. That will give you another year of usually about ten or so further new additions before it runs out again. That way, you can stretch your investment and it will feel way more like you're getting a bargain. If you time it well, you can also use (part of) the voucher which they send you after renewal of WUP towards either SSL or Abbey Road on top of sales price.
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear
I always wait until I really feel it's worth it. Could be a bug fix or some new stuff that triggers me.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

You can WUP your Mercury for quite a bit less than $300 from somewhere like wavesuniverse.com too.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

^^^

Interesting. Good to know, thanks.
Old 12th November 2015
WUP when you need or want to. You don't have to. And there is no penalty for letting it expire, or even skipping any number of years, it will still just be the standard flat rate.

When you need to update your OS or DAW to a newer version that would require a newer version of Waves, then you'd want to WUP....
If you want new plugs added to your bundle, then you'd want to WUP
If you want to sell your plugs, then you'd want to WUP

FWIW... there has been a fair amount added to Mercury this year, and if you didn't get em, it's well worth the $300 for them

Mercury additions this year:

Greg Wells VoiceCentric
H-Reverb
Saphira
EMO D5
WNS
WLM Plus
Butch Vig
DBX 160

good lord. Busy year! I think that was the stuff for this year? Don't think I'm missing anything...??

(and they've been up to a heck of a lot more, with the hardware and all that... awesome stuff!!!!!!!! I'm switching over to all waves hardware... selling off my Avid hardware)

At any rate... MAX of $300, only when you need to, with no penalty for letting it lapse. That's a solid plan to me. And if you upgrade your plugs using your existing license, you automatically get WUP, so there are other ways to get great deals too.

I wish Avid would have followed this model. Now I'm kickin Avid $50/month - $599 a year, for PTHD. I was happy with WUP before, but now it looks even better - damn good

lol
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

THanks -- good advice.

THis year I got the Butch Vig plug, DBX, and H-verb... Haven't noticed the others so I'm not sure if they were installed before my WUP ran out or not. I still get a bit confused everytime about how to add the new plugins -- whether you have to do a full 'Mercury' install or just the individual newbies. And of course, they just changed the procedure again which left me scratching my head.

But I'm not worried. Between all the Waves stuff and the UAD plugs (which I have most of), lack of software gadgets is NOT a problem.

thanks again for the sage advice tho!
Old 12th November 2015
No prob.

Yeah, they just changed the install and licensing situation, but it is seriously for the better!

It will likely require you to completely uninstall everything Waves and reinstall everything Waves, but this is actually quick and easy if you just do a total uninstall, trash prefs/cache, and reinstall. I'd recommend just taking this approach (and for good measure, I'd first use WLC to move your licenses to the cloud, then after installing Central, and reinstalling your plugs, then put the licenses back on your machine with Central.) - smooth sailing. This is actually really a quick process. Even with installing mercury, soundgrid, etc, I can do it all in 15 minutes or so. the entire process. ... then, in the future, you should be able to just tackle individual stuff, rather than a full uninstall/re-install.

The stuff they've come out with the last couple years has blown me away. Some GREAT stuff. really.

I'd snag everything you could have, that you may not have. lol.
If you were covered by WUP when new plugs came out, even if it has now expired, I would think you would still be able to get the new ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search