The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kontakt string libraries HEAVY on processor!!
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Kontakt string libraries HEAVY on processor!!

Hiyah!
Does anyone have a trick for using kontakts libraries such as Lass 2,Cinematic strings etc without making tve computer implode??
I'm on logic 10 on a 8 core macpro (or a 4 core 2012 macbook pro) and it's weighing the comp down so heavily that it's unbareable with either crackling or delay from having to use a hughe buffer. What am I doing wrong?

Thx in advance

//Figgw
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Is your Daw 64bit? How much RAM do you have?

Kontakt libraries are loading RAM, not your processor.
Unless you are on a 64bit Daw system your plugins are able to access only 4GB of RAM
no matter how much you have (physically) installed.

So you might be running out of RAM and have these problems.

If you are on 32bit daw and your disk is fast enough (ssd?) you can try N.I's DFD option (direct from disk) which might help you.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgebass View Post
Hiyah!
Does anyone have a trick for using kontakts libraries such as Lass 2,Cinematic strings etc without making tve computer implode??
I'm on logic 10 on a 8 core macpro (or a 4 core 2012 macbook pro) and it's weighing the comp down so heavily that it's unbareable with either crackling or delay from having to use a hughe buffer. What am I doing wrong?

Thx in advance

//Figgw
do you have the Kontakt Server running to add to the other reply .. ?? this loads samples into Ram .. otherwise it might be trying to use Logic Ram ..

and yes, are you using 64bit or 32 bit system ??
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for your replies-
Yes, I'm running 64 bits and also using the kontakt memory server. 24 gigs internal memory.
Cracketicrackle….
Fine, I may be using one instance of LASS or 2…but then it starts breaking up and I have to use bigger and bigger buffer sizes.
Depressing…
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry , but I have to double check this, apart from your system , your daw is also 64bit right?
What's the processor on your macs? the exact models i.e. i7-4980HQ.
Also what version of kontakt?
Crackling with just two instances? no other plugins loaded?
Do you use the internal disk for everything, system, apps, libraries, project files?
Old 9th November 2015
That's the reason most of us use Vienna Ensemble Pro. Some instrument banks are really cpu/ram hogs...

Also, what audio interface are you using, and what buffer size are you at?
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Ok, don't be sorry. I should have explained better… =)
maybe the question should be more like this : I can run a billion software synths and tons of samples from logic exs and all is fine on a 32 buffer but as soon as I use any of the NI plugins hell kinda break lose.
I can't really say how many kontakts I can run in an otherwise clean arrangement but the difference between adding an instance of contact and adding whatever else is just….mad…

My processors are 2 x 2,26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon so they're not the newest but the thing is that everything else works like a charm and I must say my computer, old as it may be beats the crap out of my friends new powerbooks …. But Kontakt….I just don't get it…

I have 4 different internal harddrives(500 ssd's), one for system , one for audio , one for libraries and one for backup.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgM View Post
That's the reason most of us use Vienna Ensemble Pro. Some instrument banks are really cpu/ram hogs...

Also, what audio interface are you using, and what buffer size are you at?
The interface doesn't seem to make much difference since I'm using RME-card with Apogee I/O's , AU twin duo and Dangerous Source.
Same same and same.

Since I kinda like playability ;-) I tend to use as low buffersettings as possible. Anything bigger than 128 is making my arms hurt….and head..;-)
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict
I would advise against D.F.D. streaming as it puts additional load on the whole system. Quite a few sample libraries won't work optimally with DFD, especially the ones with plenty of sample switching/round robins. And many high quality orchestral libraries have these features. My 3.46 Ghz 12-core Mac Pro can get in trouble with DFD. It's much better to load all samples into RAM (of which you should have much) and re-save Kontakt patches in "sampler" and not DFD mode.

Also: Increase buffer size to acceptable (for YOU!) levels.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
I would advise against D.F.D. streaming as it puts additional load on the whole system. Quite a few sample libraries won't work optimally with DFD, especially the ones with plenty of sample switching/round robins. And many high quality orchestral libraries have these features. My 3.46 Ghz 12-core Mac Pro can get in trouble with DFD. It's much better to load all samples into RAM (of which you should have much) and re-save Kontakt patches in "sampler" and not DFD mode.

Also: Increase buffer size to acceptable (for YOU!) levels.
And with DFD you mean memory server….or ..?
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Addict
I'm not using the memory server. Any modern 64-bit DAW can take care of that. However, this is just my own preference. Feel free to experiment.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
And with DFD you mean memory server….or ..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by native-instruments/knowledge-base
DFD stands for Direct From Disk and is a technique for playing back large and very large instruments and samples without loading them entirely into RAM. In fact, only the first portion of each sample is loaded into RAM permanently; the rest is read from the computer's hard disk while playing the instrument. RAM is able to react virtually instantly, delivering the first portion of any sample the user requests, while the computer goes to fetch the next portion of that sample from the hard disk. With DFD switched on you can load samples with up to 2 Gigabytes each even with moderately equipped computers. Native Instruments software does support this technology.

For detailed instructions, please read the guide "DFD Demystified".
I never had problems with DFD even when using an HDD instead of current ssd drive and libraries like sable strings, fazioli ebony grand, etc. But that is just my experience.
Having problems as Teemeister had is a pity, as the dfd tool is intended to help low performing systems.
The DFD will indeed stress the disk but not the whole system except if you use the same drive for both kontakt libraries AND system/apps, but in your case you do not so that is irrelevant.

I am scratching my head for a solution..
You shouldn't have these problems..it seems that all this load plus the kontakts is not something you can do..obviously
My only suggestion is to try the DFD and see where that gets you.
If you do please let us know how that worked for you.

cheers
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hiyah!

Thx in advance

//Figgw
I had this issue on my dinosaur Mac Pro Dual Core Xeon (2006 model), using Logic Pro 9 and it can't have more that 4 Strings instances of Kontakt. Omnisphere, i can only use 1 patch and more than that, it starts crackling.

I was looking high and low for a solution and Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 solved it. My dinosaur Mac Pro now handle 16 or more Strings instances of Kontakt and 8 patches of Omni without any crackling. Not bad for a old Mac Pro

Current 12 core Mac Pro (2012 model) using Logic Pro X can accommodate 50 or more instances of Kontakt hosted via Ve Pro 5 and still has loads of CPU for vi synths etc.

Do give Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. They offer 30 days trial @ https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Soft...a_Ensemble_PRO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search