The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help on interfaces
Old 7th November 2015
Here for the gear

Help on interfaces

Hello all.

Which interface to go with UA or focus rite or a third? I want good pres and a setup where I can chain in my Otari mx5050 for effects and also external effects. Preferably Thunderbolt. I Like the idea of a mixer as i have been used to using one for the last twenty years but i am ready to manage without and go all in the box.
Drums are recorded in our studio so this is for layering recordings only, but I would like the option of min. 8 pres in.

So i am looking for opinions on interfaces and maybe an opinion on a good mixer with direct out.

Interfaces around 1000-2000$. If I had the money I would go Allen and Heath gsr24m. Also I am not a gear nerd, so I would like to stay out of the latency- reel to reel setup if this is at all possible, which is why I assume that TB connection is the best.

I see the following two setups

1: Two interfaces:

Instruments -> echolette -> UA twin duo - > iMac 2013 3.4 i7 with Logic Pro x. -> 8 Channel out -> otari mx5050 -> soundcraft m12 -> stereo in to Logic.

Or one interface:
Instr. -> echolette -> stereo jack in-> iMac-> 8 channel out -> Otari -> 8 channel pre in -> logic.

I hope I am making sense. Any ideas or advice is welcome. I have my eyes on the UA twin duo and the focus rite clarett pre8. The liquid Safire 56 looks good but its FireWire, which I am not sure will do the trick for me.

Thanks in advance.
Rune.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

With that much I/O I would recommend looking into RME interfaces. The UA stuff is great but I don't think you'd get the same I/O options. RME is also a step up from the Focusrite stuff.
Old 8th November 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks. I Will look into that. But is the UA better than rme? And what if I went with a d/a converter into the Otari and then into a mixer and took the stereo out into the UA again? I realise I would be missing the 8 Pre in, but I really want the Best sounding option within the price range. Any thoughts on and which converter + the mixer?
Old 8th November 2015
Gear Addict

....i'm more than happy with metric halo and it's internal mio mixer.....
it competes easily with hardware mixers like allen and heath, has no latency issues at all and comes with great character and channel strip compressor plug ins that are beyond vst and au....8 in 8 out, top converters, 2882, built like a tank since years, digital in outs plus wordclock....

but with rme, metric halo or uad you can't really go wrong, anyway.....
with focusrite....you can....
Old 8th November 2015
Here for the gear

The Metric Halo 28 looks great but I really want 8 xlr, if I am going to get more than the twin duo. Looks like RME octomic II could do the trick 8 xlr, 8 lines out if it only had two jack in as well so I would never have to change cables. I could just go 6 channel Otari of course.
Old 9th November 2015
Here for the gear

One more... What about the Motu 828? Any good? Latency and sich? I have a guy that will sell for 400$ used. Its fw400 comoatible with TB. I loose My 8 Pre but the Price is quite appealing.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_e View Post
The Metric Halo 28 looks great but I really want 8 xlr.
You use trs to xlr adapter. The unit has 8 preamps
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear

Mac Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt interface

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my Mac OS to El Capitan, but in doing so, my beloved Presonus firestudio 2626 is no longer recognized and I cannot use my Universal Control software. My Presonus still works in Standalone mode, so not a total loss.

I have a Mac Mini (Late 2009), Intel 2.53 Dual core processor, just upgraded the Hard drive to SSD 512gb and 8gb of ram, still fast and powerful.
I have a firewire 800 on this Mac and I want to know if I can use a new Thunderbolt Audio Interface with the Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt Adapter.

I have been searching the internet everywhere and I cannot find an answer.

Please Help.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search