The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Standalone DAC through SPDIF with Echo Audiofire? Audio Interfaces
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Nut

Standalone DAC through SPDIF with Echo Audiofire?

I own an Echo Audiofire 4 and want to use it as a dedicated standalone DAC. Is it possible to connect a digital audio signal to the S/PDIF input and have it convert to analog through the Line Outputs *without* connecting it to a computer via Firewire? I don't have the a coaxial S/PDIF cable to try this with, so before I purchase an optical to coaxial converter I'd like to know if this would work.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Nut

bump
Old 6th November 2015
rez
Lives for gear

yes, that should be possible - you can route any input to any output in the firewire console app. just go to the tab for your analog out and set the spdif fader, pan, stereo/mono or solo button like you want.

then you must flash that settings to the interface by using the "save" button.

maybe you also have to take a look at the settings tab and see what settings for clock source and spdif format gain the best results for your hardware.

now those new settings will automatically be set as default every time you power the unit, even in standalone mode without any computer attached.

peace, rez
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez View Post
yes, that should be possible - you can route any input to any output in the firewire console app. just go to the tab for your analog out and set the spdif fader, pan, stereo/mono or solo button like you want.

then you must flash that settings to the interface by using the "save" button.

maybe you also have to take a look at the settings tab and see what settings for clock source and spdif format gain the best results for your hardware.

now those new settings will automatically be set as default every time you power the unit, even in standalone mode without any computer attached.

peace, rez
So sir may I use the Echo AF4 as a Y splitter without computers attached?A guitar signal to the input,one output to the Mixer and the other to the amp,like some DI boxes do?Thank you very much!
Old 23rd January 2016
rez
Lives for gear

@ fatoad : yes, that is possible - just open the audiofire console app and set the analog inputs in the analog tab to center pan and untick the "gang" button at the bottom of the fader. now you get dual mono from the two analog outs (or from the spdif outs if you want to route the signal there).
today i wante to try that myself and used my trusty alesis micron connected to the analog in 1 on the audiofire and got dual mono from the analog out 1+2.

for standalone function of this routing make sure to flash that configuration to the audiofire 2 after setting all parameters to your liking - then the harware will remember your setup in standalone mode.

peace, rez

Last edited by rez; 23rd January 2016 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez View Post
@ fatoad : yes, that is possible - just open the audiofire console app and set the analog inputs in the analog tab to center pan and untick the "gang" button at the bottom of the fader. now you get dual mono from the two analog outs (or from the spdif outs if you want to route the signal there).
today i wante to try that myself and used my trusty alesis micron connected to the analog in 1 on the audiofire and got dual mono from the analog out 1+2.

for standalone function of this routing make sure to flash that configuration to the audiofire 2 after setting all parameters to your liking - then the harware will remember your setup in standalone mode.

peace, rez
That's fantastic!Thank you so much Mr.Rez!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search