The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient id14 Zero Latency?
Old 3rd August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by punani View Post
Yes i hear u. But im not willing to spend 20.000 for a non professional musician. I record sometime for some guys and thats it. Everytime i thing ho yeah this is the **** something dissapointing comes up... This tascam uh 7000 must be a joy to play with but has no hiZ for e-guitars/bass... So i must use a DI thing... Steinberg ur44 sounds muff and dull compare to a RME babyface.. Oh my god... The more i dig the more i get stuck... I hate this researching
I understand your dilemma although research is part of the game to ensure you find something that suits your situation and requirements best. I had endless firewire issues when I was on Windows and went through one interface a year searching for the perfect replacement.

Spend and get the best interface you can for your budget and needs. Sounds like you're going down the right path with the RME. The one feature I'd probably miss terribly if I moved to a different interface in future is the JFET DI. Pure brilliance!
Old 4th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
Having been a l-o-n-g time RME user in a pro studio, I recently sold the studio, scaled down and decided to go for an id14 mostly because any RME product is too much for what I need now.
Having said that, I didn't what to compromise on sound quality...at all... nor did I want ANY issues with drivers/latency etc under Windows 10. So far, so great ! Awesome sound quality and no issues at all on the driver/latency front. I record my own vox routinely and there is no perceptible latency...even when I'm max'ing out the VSTi's and having to use 2048 buffer setting.
What kind of computer are you using? To get no latency while cutting vocals while maxing out VSTi is very impressive. You can't feel latency at 2048 samples? Am I confused?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkung View Post
What kind of computer are you using? To get no latency while cutting vocals while maxing out VSTi is very impressive. You can't feel latency at 2048 samples? Am I confused?
No-one can not feel latency at 2048, it's around 50ms from the interface plus whatever plugins may be adding....he is using direct monitoring.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
No-one can not feel latency at 2048, it's around 50ms from the interface plus whatever plugins may be adding....he is using direct monitoring.
didnt see he was using direct monitoring. if that is the case then any amount of vstis or how fast your computer doesnt matter.
Lives for gear

Quote:
didnt see he was using direct monitoring. if that is the case then any amount of vstis or how fast your computer doesnt matter.
Well they didn't specify but I think it's the only possible way they can do this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The audient control application provides for extremely low latency monitoring regardless of where the buffers are on your host application. I'm at 2048 right now and listening thru the mic input. Even with repeated hard consonants "bah" "dah" etc, I cannot sense any latency at all.

I'm not on anything special as far as a laptop goes. An Asus GL752VW running W10 which I have personally tweaked from head to toe....extensively. If I was to purchase again, I'd buy again from ADK like I did before but this was a local shop in Canada and they had a really good "special" going on (special PITA!) and they promised that the Windows install really didn't load "too many extra, unnecessary apps" ....pfff (bull****ters, really, and once purchased, they were ****in' useless ).....I had to do a complete W10 "Reset," re-installing everything from scratch and then, literally months of tweaking... on and off of course. Never again for me.
Old 31st August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Well, I got it all set up, really excited. Updated firmware and drivers, loaded up a session at 256 samples on PT10 and got crackles galore. Changed to 512 and still crackled. Only stopped it crackling at 1024 samples. Looks like I just don't have luck with interfaces :(
Hi Amroth, any news on your issue? I own the id14 too and came along similar problems.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantik View Post
Hi Amroth, any news on your issue? I own the id14 too and came along similar problems.
What happens when you use the exact same buffer settings on the internal sound card? If you still get the same crackling, it's just your computer crapping out...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
What happens when you use the exact same buffer settings on the internal sound card? If you still get the same crackling, it's just your computer crapping out...
Correct. I optimized everything I could and run out of ideas where to look.
Old 1st September 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Hi Everybody,

Zero-latency hardware monitoring can be enabled within the iD Mixer application. Simply increase the level on the fader on the channel you want zero latency on and voila.

It sounds as though someone is having a technical issue with their iD14? Send an email to the guys at our customer support department and i'm sure they will be able to help!

All the best
Ryan
Old 14th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspartout View Post
Very interesting how different latency experiences are regarding the ID 14 and Focusrite.
Apart from my AMD Phenom six core PC with Win7 I tried the ID 14 with my Intel i7 Laptop Win10 from last year (both with 8 GB ram) and there the ID 14 worked significantly better.
So what was my choice? Getting a new (Intel) PC for my ID14?

Before I did that I decided last week to give the SPL Creon a try and behold: The Creon works exactly as good as the Focusrite 6i6 on my 'old' AMD.
So I'd say it is NOT necessarily my PC who's to blame here, right? It worked fine for three years now with the 6i6, why wouldnt it with another Interface.
It shows however, how it is always a matter of finding the right gear for your particular system and test your compatibilities.

The main crackling and latency problems with the ID14 on my system were caused
by Kontakt 5, especially when K5 reverbs were used, Addictive Drums 2, Arturia Analog Lab, Sample Tank 3. Interestingly enough not by UHE Diva for example.

And another interesting fact: all these VST mentioned produce some CPU peaks from time to time, visible in my DAW CPU meter (Studio One 3.2) BUT: they are not producing any crackles, meaning these CPU peaks are not audible with the Sacrlett or the SPL Creon.

The ID 14 is a really fine piece of gear, I'd say for the price you can't get a better sounding interface, it really sounds amazing, but the Windows drivers might not be as compatible as they could be so far.

Many thanks at this point to the very friendly and patient Audient support btw
So strange, I have an ID14 and ID22 connected via ADAT and I've never had a moment's trouble with either, the step up on sound quality FLOORED me when I got the first one, it BURIED the crispy crunchy hyped high end of the various Apogee converters I had used for years.......still, I can only get so excited about ANY digital audio...

My Tascam 32 buries the whole lot of them.........ooh, and now I can mess around with that Fostex A8 I brought home last week, I love's me some analog slumming!
Old 1st June 2018
Here for the gear
Just for the record a new version (4.0.0 dated 25/5/2018) of the ID App is out, with improved latency
(5.33 ms round trip here @ 32 samples buffer size as reported by Ableton Live 10 under Windows 10 on a z170 chipset & i5-6600k proc.)

Last edited by thx538; 1st June 2018 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1st June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx538 View Post
Just for the record a new version of the ID App is out, with improved latency
(5.33 ms roud trip here @ 32 samples buffer size as reported by Ableton Live 10 under Windows 10 on a z170 chipset & i5-6600k proc.)
Hi,

thanks for the mention, but reported RTL is almost worthless info.. If you'd like to get some sensible RTL figure, then get a some TRS loopback cable, connect it from input to output and measure the latency using RTL Utility | Oblique Audio.
Also 32 samples is really very heavy for native CPU processing.. 64 samples buffer length at 44100 is much more realistic, I'd say baseline for any typical comparisons. Also some mention about how's stability with real world projects, which loads your computer a bit, at particular buffer length is valuable for the others.

I don't want to just criticize, just think it is necessary to present latency info in some context. And good luck with your iD!

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 1st June 2018 at 10:29 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx538 View Post
Just for the record a new version (4.0.0 dated 25/5/2018) of the ID App is out, with improved latency
(5.33 ms round trip here @ 32 samples buffer size as reported by Ableton Live 10 under Windows 10 on a z170 chipset & i5-6600k proc.)
Good spot...this is presumably the porting of the driver improvements made for the new iD44. Thought we'd be waiting a bit longer for that.

Downloading now...fingers crossed there is some improvement under load as well as just the slightly lower latency.
Lives for gear

OK...the v4 driver is a tiny bit lower latency than the previous but doesn't seem to work noticeably better under load.
So a fairly heavy project that was crackling at 256, but played ok at 512 was exactly the same with the new driver.

Nothing to get too excited about for most use tbh.

V3 followed by V4 measured results:

I did manage to run Addictive Keys piano at 16 samples as well as S-Gear amp sim just to see if it would run anything...but as 16 samples is only 1.1ms lower than 64 samples I can't get too excited by it.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks stella645, I was curious about the improvement, but don't have any of their interfaces to test here.

Michal
Old 3rd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
OK...the v4 driver is a tiny bit lower latency than the previous but doesn't seem to work noticeably better under load.
So a fairly heavy project that was crackling at 256, but played ok at 512 was exactly the same with the new driver.

Nothing to get too excited about for most use tbh.

V3 followed by V4 measured results:

I did manage to run Addictive Keys piano at 16 samples as well as S-Gear amp sim just to see if it would run anything...but as 16 samples is only 1.1ms lower than 64 samples I can't get too excited by it.
I wonder how good 96 kHz is at 16 samples? Assuming that setting is possible. For that matter, how stable is it?
Old 3rd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I wonder how good 96 kHz is at 16 samples? Assuming that setting is possible. For that matter, how stable is it?
Someone in another thread did say they could run at 16 samples 96k but didn't give any idea what they were running.
Old 4th June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Yeah...

I absolutely love the quality on my id14 but I did find that I had to fidget with the settings a lot more than my previous interface in order to reduce latency and clicking issues. And if I have a project with a ton of tracks already down it does sometimes have clicking and issues I need to work around ... but I don't have the most powerful laptop either. It's not such an issue I've thought of getting rid of it.
Old 16th October 2020
Here for the gear

So the issue at hand for me is that my audient id14 interface has a delay when I try to record through my condenser microphone which is a Aston Origin.
My daw is FL Studio I have previously ran a gen 2 Scarlett solo with zero latency with no issues. But for some reason I can’t figure it out for my audient. The recordings themselves sound extremely clean but I can hear myself being offbeat compared to the instrumental. I’ve tried googling things many times also I have tried to use different modes such as (flstudioasio, asio4all, audientid14) etc.
If I can’t fix the latency issue I would at least like to turn off direct monitoring.
Old 16th October 2020
Audient doesn’t do hardware 0 latency which is why I passed on it.

I don’t know your financial situation but I’d look elsewhere. So much good stuff out there for under $200.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowow View Post
So the issue at hand for me is that my audient id14 interface has a delay when I try to record through my condenser microphone which is a Aston Origin.
My daw is FL Studio I have previously ran a gen 2 Scarlett solo with zero latency with no issues. But for some reason I can’t figure it out for my audient. The recordings themselves sound extremely clean but I can hear myself being offbeat compared to the instrumental. I’ve tried googling things many times also I have tried to use different modes such as (flstudioasio, asio4all, audientid14) etc.
If I can’t fix the latency issue I would at least like to turn off direct monitoring.
I don't use FL Studio, but I have been able to monitor through a guitar amp plug-in on a iD14 and play very, very fast guitar with no noticeable latency.

Have you checked that your buffer settings are low, and have you checked on a brand new project that doesn't have any latency-inducing delays?

Also you should be able to turn off direct monitoring easily on the software the interface comes with. I don't own the iD14 anymore but I never had direct monitoring on with it.
📝 Reply