The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New MacPro Suggestions?
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

New MacPro Suggestions?

I'm new to the site, obviously, and I need some advice on how I should spec my MacPro. I've only just started music recording as a major, so I'm not sure about what kind of hardware to get. I do want to get the MP and use some sort of software based sound editing program, but I'm not sure of what other hardware to get along with it.

Right now I will likely only be doing some messing around to learn how to use the stuff, just some vocals and a guitar and maybe cello, but I do need the MP to be able to perform well in the future.

So, any suggestions?
Old 16th January 2007
i always think its a bad idea to buy any computer thinking about the future... they may release a quad processor laptop and leave you hurting for more DSP when you get serious...

buy the minimum that works now and then punt it for a new one when you're ready to get serious... computers are the worst "investment" ever
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
i always think its a bad idea to buy any computer thinking about the future... they may release a quad processor laptop and leave you hurting for more DSP when you get serious...

buy the minimum that works now and then punt it for a new one when you're ready to get serious... computers are the worst "investment" ever
But they are a necessary part of your education, Bluedart. It's true that you don't want to go out a drop 5 grand on the sweetest Mac Pro setup, but you also don't want to go too far in the other direction (by getting a cheap PC or something). You need something to work with, but you don't exactly know what that is. Which, I suspect, is why you asked.

While any equipment's gonna depreciate, especially computers, Macs tend to hold their value and performance much longer. I know a lot of guys that are still using G4 towers from when they first came out 6 years ago. Sure, they're not the beefiest things out there anymore, but they're still doing fine. And 6 years for a computer is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mac Pro last that long or longer. I usually don't like going ultra high-end or bare-bones on anything, I like to stay middle of the road. But the Mac Pro's lowest end model isn't exactly bare-bones. You can get a tower with two 2.0GHz dual-core processors with AppleCare for $2,229, and that thing will blow your mind with speed and last you forever. Plus, it's a Mac, so you won't be dealing with software/hardware issues like with a PC.

As far as recording hardware (if you haven't decided yet), take a look at some of the M-Audio stuff that you can use with Pro Tools M-Powered. It may not be the HD version of Pro Tools, but it is Pro Tools, so once you learn how to use it, you know how to any version of Pro Tools. You can get one of the cheaper interfaces and then purchase Pro Tools separately, and when you decide to upgrade to a better interface later, you won't be buying the software again. (Digi bundles Pro Tools LE with all their LE interfaces, but the M-Audio interfaces and M-powered software are sold separately). Hope that helps man. thumbsup
Old 17th January 2007
Here for the gear

I hear you 3rd, but I would also like to hit the ground running with this. I am anxious to get some experience under my belt with a software based system, and having it at home to use whenever I want will be so nice. And I do plan on keeping this MP for quite some time. There will always be a new processor...

Thanks for the advice Kev. I think I will either go with something from M Audio or something like an Mbox for now. Should be perfect for me.
Old 24th January 2007
due to recent divorce i'm having to basically rebuild everything from scratch and i'm going with a macbook (non-pro) dual 2.0GHz with 2GB of RAM... IMO its more than enough for 32 tracks of audio and all the plugs i'd need... will prolly end up swapping out the internal drive for a 7200 rpm one, getting an external fw drive and getting a metric halo mobile i/o then something for protools.. that 32 channel lightpipe box if it ever gets confirmed as working with protools LE... fireface? i forget what they call it... dont need a big screen.. dont need fast grafx... should be fine for me.

its a strange exercise.. trying to rebuild for the lowest possible price.. there are so many things i need in addition to a computer that cutting corners seems like the thing to do...
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

I run a pro studio on a 2008 Mac Pro and Logic X running tons of VIs, etc. These machines now sell for under $1000. I always tell people to just get an iMac as you'll have plenty of power and are cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search