The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calling metric halo 3D card where are you
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Calling metric halo 3D card where are you

???????? Will this be the year BJ?
Old 25th October 2015
The mh 3D card only exists in each one of us, it can never be attained in the material realm, we each need to find our own 3D card within.
you can begin your journey on Google, but soon you must venture onwards

Okay I'll shut up. +1 it's been so long since it got announced. legit can't wait. Haha
Old 25th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteeno View Post
the mh 3d card only exists in each one of us, it can never be attained in the material realm, we each need to find our own 3d card within.
hahahaha!
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

DEFINITION
Egg on your face
When you recommend a friend buys a Metric Halo 2D whilst on sale, based on long-anticipated release of 3D.

-
Old 26th October 2015
Gear Addict

Yes but you know it will be worth the wait.
Old 26th October 2015
Lives for gear

every show that comes and goes...
where is the 3d?.. nobody knows....
Old 26th October 2015
Gear Maniac

you guys made my day with those response...yeah definitely egg in my face. I feel like one of those direct tv ads victim.
Old 26th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
you guys made my day with those response...yeah definitely egg in my face. I feel like one of those direct tv ads victim.
Now, I wouldn't want to go so far as saying the Metric Halo interfaces with a 2D card are not worth having... it's just that for me, the 3D card is one of those features that can sway a person in their decision making process.

I love my ULN-2 (actually, a Sonic Studio Model 302) with 2D card + DSP. It is an awesome sounding system, and the summing is remarkably transparent.

I am excited to be be able to sum more than 18 channels, to be sure.

-
Old 26th October 2015
I sold all four of my Metric Halo interfaces. Loved the sound did not get on with the company.
Old 26th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Would you like to hear about the time my ULN-8 memory got corrupted (something that happened before but was fixed under warranty) and it cost me $700 to replace the entire logic board?
Old 26th October 2015
Lives for gear

I personally have not seen any other talk about how Metric Halo repairs fare against the other vendors... but I suppose it is fair to ask how much it might cost to get Burl gear repaired, or any other high end gear vs Metric Halo.

Now, I do see an advantage to having separate components: separate preamps, separate DA converters, separate AD converters, separate computer interface, etc. -- which allows for not having all your eggs in one basket. But that can also be expensive, because most of the vendor of such good quality gear are also not low or even mid priced.
Old 27th October 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

I calling BS on these criticisms about Metric Halo customer service. I would like to hear the WHOLE story. Not pieces. BJ and the company have excellent customer service. Just wait for the 3D card. The ULN-8 doesn't need the 3D card to be amazing at all. Geez.
Old 27th October 2015
owning LIO8 and ULN8 I have no issue with not having a new 3 D card ( I run LIO and ULN windows based as AES/EBU driven converters).

However it´s 18 month now since BJ announced all of these revolutionary upgrades for MH owners and prospects. I guess its -meanwhile- kind of disrespectful not to communicate about progress or availability.

I think it is the first time that Metric Halo announced great things to come before they delivered. ULN-8 was different, kind of a secret project with a surprise ("OMG") factor when presented to the market.
Old 27th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have been told by someone in MH that while they "have no announcements they can share, things are progressing well".

So, my guess is that like someone else said, they must be working to make sure it is a successful launch.
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Nut

I got some information from inside. It's coming

Soon.
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carson View Post
I sold all four of my Metric Halo interfaces. Loved the sound did not get on with the company.

Hmmm... Sorry to hear, hard to believe... These guys have stellar customer care, imo...
Old 28th October 2015
Gear Head

Can't speak highly enough of MH customer support. Always fast on the email, and fixed some strange system/OS specific issues v quickly.
Old 28th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Metric halo user here for 4/5 years customer service has been stellar my only complaint is the lack of communication. They made the announcement got everyone exited, they incorporated a sale in which I took advantage off inticipating the new technology... And then eternal silence, again I don't mind waiting for the tech to be polished, a little communication would have been great. I was on my way to picking up an apogee symphony with 16 input when I changed direction and grabbed a second uln8.
Old 29th October 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

I thought BJ was very clear that there was NO launch date on the new system…

That means - until its release or announcement, don't expect it. Stop the madness. haha. That being said, I highly anticipate its release. In the meanwhile, I am going to record music with my ULN-8.
Old 1st November 2015
Gear Head

Yeah. Soon. Soon when?

Maybe they should put a "Metric-Halo-Soon" into the dictionary, like "soon until the next soon". Infinite progression.

Now, I understand that there might be delays. Things don't go the way you expect it. But what do you do in this case? You communicate.

The problem with the way they handled it so far is: They trick users into buying their gear, they don't deliver and then they blame it on the drivers. What's this, a kickstarter project from a gaming company located in a bedroom? For Apple users the delay is maybe not so tragic. But just to be clear: Some customers made their buying decision based on the promised windows compatibility (and they bought the interface BEFORE the BIG FINAL FINAL SALE). The compatibility was promised in November 2014, with a margin of 1-2 month. And now these customers are forced either to buy an Apple computer (the dealer even suggested it), or a new sound interface, and some of these happy buyers are sitting on gear with expired warranty, without even having used them once.

This all is so wrong on so many levels... but hope dies last, and everybody keeps quiet, hoping for the next soon.
Old 1st November 2015
Gear Maniac

+1 scoutx, Noa there's no defending the lack of communication I'm a metric halo fan also but business is business when people invest in your company the least you could do is give updates.
Old 1st November 2015
Lives for gear

Has anyone called or mailed and asked?
Old 1st November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Has anyone called or mailed and asked?
A buddy of mine emailed them recently and was effectively told that they're working on it but there is no even rough/projected release date they can talk about. More nothing. Suffice to say I think my friend has sold his ULN-8 and has me unsure what to do with my pair...
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Head

I bought a second ULN-8 a few months ago and when I read these threads I wonder why I seem to be the only one not worried about "when" the 3d upgrade will be released. Maybe, it's because "when" Metric Halo does release a product I can be comfortable knowing it is going to do what they say it will do and be rock solid.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Maniac

This is a great lesson for you. Don't buy gear for suggested or even promised future specs/updates. That never goes well. Buy for current specs only. That's the reason behind that asterisked statement *specifications subject to change.

Also, what is wrong with your ULN-8s? Why are you unsure what to do with them? Why don't you use them? I'm honestly wondering. Both of mine are working flawlessly just like the day I bought them on a new mac with Thunderbolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrk View Post
A buddy of mine emailed them recently and was effectively told that they're working on it but there is no even rough/projected release date they can talk about. More nothing. Suffice to say I think my friend has sold his ULN-8 and has me unsure what to do with my pair...
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
This is a great lesson for you. Don't buy gear for suggested or even promised future specs/updates. That never goes well. Buy for current specs only. That's the reason behind that asterisked statement *specifications subject to change.

Also, what is wrong with your ULN-8s? Why are you unsure what to do with them? Why don't you use them? I'm honestly wondering. Both of mine are working flawlessly just like the day I bought them on a new mac with Thunderbolt.
Aw gee, thanks, I'm glad you think you can teach me a lesson. I've actually had my ULN-8s for about 5 years now, and the last few rounds of OS X updates have made them less and less stable, for one. And I'm pretty good about not staying on the bleeding edge. It's probably time for some servicing generally (I've a few burned out LEDs) but honestly it's not worth it to me to pay their repair fees multiple times - now, and when 3D comes out. In particular, my needs are starting to change in a way that would really benefit from the new Ethernet backplane, and no other product I've seen can touch MIO Console's flexibility.

I'm not (and I don't think anybody here really is) saying that the MH stuff is a bad product, far from it. I love it and am totally hooked on the power of MIO console. It's just frustrating as a user to have such inconsistent and vague communication from a manufacturer. Furthermore I, like many others, take issue with the proposed upgrade policy offering newer users (who buy the boxes at near half price to what most of us paid years ago) such a steep discount. It just seems backwards.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Maniac

I like people who comment without knowing all the facts. Right now in order to get two uln8 to sync to get 16 channels of audio you need to get additional AES cables plus you loose a set of inputs and you need additional in box routing. Essentially going around the world. What the 3D card was promising was getting numerous uln8's to sync minus all the headaches using a single katfive cable. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. In hindsight I think metric halo has made one promise that they can not keep...I'm talking about keeping those earlier boxes from 15 years ago relevant???

Last edited by shalimo; 2nd November 2015 at 02:22 AM..
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
I like people who comment without knowing all the facts. Right now in order to get two uln8 to sync to get 16 channels of audio you need to get additional AES cables plus you loose a set of inputs and you need additional in box routing. Essentially going around the world. What the 3D card was promising was getting numerous uln8's to sync minus all the headaches using a single katfive cable. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. In hindsight I think metric halo has made one promise that they can not keep...I'm talking about keeping those earlier boxes from 15 years ago relevant???
This was why I was so excited by the 3D card, it would solve this long-standing issue for me and many others. You can also aggregate in OS X, but this adds a little latency, you can't route audio in one box and out another (think cue mixes) and to top it off I have never found aggregate devices to be as stable as individual ones.

I believe that they will eventually do something, and keep all their hardware relevant, but who knows when or at what cost. Kind of a bummer.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Maniac

What facts? I have two Metric Halo ULN-8's and a ULN-2 and I have used Metric Halo units in a pro studio every day without issue for over a decade.

The multi-unit setup via AES is a day one routing workflow that was listed in the ULN-8 manual upon release.

This insinuation that one's ULN doesn't work as advertised or has somehow regressed in features or functionality is false.

I do understand your frustration but, historically, when Metric Halo has released an update it is revolutionary not evolutionary. It doesn't always come when you think it will but it is done that way because it is made to last a long time. This is what separates them from other companies whose interfaces bite the dust with each advance in protocol. The tradeoff is that the upgrades are few and far between and it seems that everyone else has all the latest bells and whistles. Metric Halo is all about the long game.

Quote:
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Head

Lesson learned, right - what, don't trust MH?

Sorry to say it like that. I really like their plugins and I think they do a great job (!). But there is a little thing called trust.

Now I don't know what BJ communicates and what not, except for the newsletter I received a couple of times. I based my buying decision on the statement of one of their official international distributors, and I have written proof that he "definitely" expects it in 2014.

And you can't tell me: trust the quality of their hardware, but don't trust what they say.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search