The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugins companies: 1 licence on 2 computers Saturation Plugins
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Plugins companies: 1 licence on 2 computers

Which plugin companies allow you to use one licence on (at least) two computers – as simple as possible (no hardware needed like iLok, FW DSP…), no licence transfer need etc.? Or at least no problem, if you forgot to take your iLok.

The goal is: Mix in your studio, save to dropbox or similar. And then mix at home or in the train on your notebook with NO THINKING about some plugin licence issues.

My experience:
Waves: NoGo: Need to transfer a licence before I leave the studio. If I forget this step, can't use it at home.
UAD: NoGo: Unless you have the UAD hardware at home as well. But a bit inconvenient to take it on a trip IMO. If i mix ITB on the go, I want only my notebook.
Izotope: GREAT: Installed Ozone 6 on both computers & working fine. need no hardware.
Soundtoys: YES: 2 iLok activations. With the update 5 it allows you to install it an additional computer which has no iLok HW!
Zynaptiq: GREAT: Today I installed this on my notebook as well, workin fine. need no hardware.
Softube:STILL DON'T KNOW: 2 iLok activations. It theoretically allows you to install a 2nd activation on an additional computer, which has no iLok HW, but I currently have some problems, it sees no activation on my notebook, although activated in the iLok Manager
SSL: NoGo: iLok needed, only 1 activation.
XLN Audio: GREAT: works like a charm on both computers. need no hardware.
Slate: Possible with 2 iLoks UBS Sticks: although 2 activations available, they both have to be on a iLok, so you'd need 2 iLoks.
Metric Halo: NoGo: only 1 activation on iLok
Fabfilter: GREAT: works on both computers. need no hardware.
IkMultimedia: GREAT: works on both computers. need no hardware.

Feel free to send your experience.
Thanks to the companies, which are making us the life easier.
Tnx to Soundtoys for changing their policy!
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

The whole point of iLok is to be able to bring the iLok with you.

I'm not sure why you think you need 2 iLoks or 2 licenses... just bring the iLok with you.
Old 24th October 2015
I activated the plugins Softube on two different iLok . Everything works fine. Thus one iLok to another Studio at home and is not worried that you forget my iLok.
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
The whole point of iLok is to be able to bring the iLok with you.

I'm not sure why you think you need 2 iLoks or 2 licenses... just bring the iLok with you.
No, the whole point of iLok is to make software impossible to steal. Ilok was invented for companies, not end-users. For us, it's just another pain in the ass we have to deal with.

And, just because you can't think of a need for two iloks doesn't mean there isn't a need.

I work at home as much as I do in the studio, and having two iloks would mean I would never have to worry about losing 90 minutes from a session because I forgot the damn thing at home and had to go get it. It's not something I've done often, but once is too much.

Also, I have never had the misfortune (yet) of losing or breaking an ilok, but if/when I do, I can tell you I'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing that I had a second copy of all my licenses immediately available. And yes, I pay for ZDT on my ilok. Still would rather have a backup ready to go.
Old 24th October 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Companies that still want to force their customers to use iLoks are best ignored.

To add to your list:

Native Instruments. There might be a limit to the number of activations, but I never encountered it. No dongle required.

Plugin Alliance. 3 activations, no dongle required.

Softube has been mentioned. I have 1 of 2 activations authorised to my laptop.
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

SoundToys
Slate
UBK
Two iLoks each.
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Not all Slate plugins allow two..some of the older ones like FG-X, VTM and VCC don't, thus far.
Kush Audio allows two activations.
Scuffhamamps
Eventide.

I assume we are solely speaking of effects not instruments?

I have two systems...and this for me is becoming more and more essential and no, moving my ilok around all the time is not an option for me either.

rsp

Last edited by zvenx; 24th October 2015 at 04:53 PM..
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

<snip - please don't just insult those who don't follow your working practice>

Yeah, don't forget or break your ilok. Same way you shouldn't forget or break your phone or car keys or ID, or money...

And UAD makes the satellite which is small enough for travel.

Bottom line is ANY plugin can be made portable, depends on how responsible you want to be. Just looking at your list so far, seems like you're making life harder for yourself by severely limiting what plugins you can use. I personally just found better ways of keeping up with my ilok... but good luck.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 25th October 2015 at 01:50 AM..
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Eventide give you two authorizations for each license...so you can put them on separate iLoks, or one iLok and a computer, or two computers etc...
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

U-he, as many authorizations as you need, no dongle.
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Which plugin companies allow you to use one licence on (at least) two computers – as simple as possible (no hardware needed like iLok, FW DSP…), no licence transfer need etc.? Or at least no problem, if you forgot to take your iLok.

The goal is: Mix in your studio, save to dropbox or similar. And then mix at home or in the train on your notebook with NO THINKING about some plugin licence issues.

My experience:
Waves: NoGo: Need to transfer a licence before I leave the studio. If I forget this step, can't use it at home.
UAD: NoGo: Unless you have the UAD hardware at home as well. But a bit inconvenient to take it on a trip IMO. If i mix ITB on the go, I want only my notebook.
Izotope: GREAT: Installed Ozone 6 on both computers & working fine. need no hardware.
Soundtoys: YES: 2 iLok activations. With the update 5 it allows you to install it an additional computer which has no iLok HW!
Zynaptiq: GREAT: Today I installed this on my notebook as well, workin fine. need no hardware.
Softube:STILL DON'T KNOW: 2 iLok activations. It theoretically allows you to install a 2nd activation on an additional computer, which has no iLok HW, but I currently have some problems, it sees no activation on my notebook, although activated in the iLok Manager
SSL: NoGo: iLok needed, only 1 activation.
XLN Audio: GREAT: works like a charm on both computers. need no hardware.
Slate: Possible with 2 iLoks UBS Sticks: although 2 activations available, they both have to be on a iLok, so you'd need 2 iLoks.
Fabfilter: GREAT: works on both computers. need no hardware.
IkMultimedia: GREAT: works on both computers. need no hardware.

Feel free to send your experience.
Thanks to the companies, which are making us the life easier.
Tnx to Soundtoys for changing their policy!
I really think companies' such as iZotope are doing things right, sort of a compromise position between no-iLok and w/ iLok-- their virtual authorizer with iLok, not requiring the dongle.
Old 25th October 2015
Gear Nut

Acustica aqua and nebula
Sknote
Barratt audio equavescent
Boz
Hornet
Old 24th November 2015
Here for the gear

With Waves you can use the License Recovery feature to activate your plugs on a different computer if your forget to deactivate before leaving the house, then once you go back to the original computer the 1-year recovery period will reset. I've done this multiple times in the past year when switching between studios.
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have had iloks both stolen AND broken, and it is a PITA, I had a friend have one "misplaced", and he had the no down time insurance plan, which from what he told me, was certainly anything but,... might have been a unique scenario, but he had to call all the manufacturers or devs of his stuff etc.... definitely took him awhile... So I like to avoid iLok, but with some stuff I love, I can't... so it is what it is...

Native Instruments is great in terms of multiple installs, yet to run into a problem on multiple systems. I'm sure if I did anything egregious, I would run afoul with it, but they seem to understand the working musician who might have 2 studios, a laptop etc.... and I'm sure if my registrations started popping up all over the place, they would cut off my account, but I have NEVER had a problem with them in over 10 years in this regard, so my hats off to them in that regard.

AudioDamage seems to be cool as well, I have them installed on my 3 machines without a hitch, ....

There are others, I guess I prefer companies who show me some trust to not spread their stuff to the world, and are not draconian in what I consider "fair" use.... I mean, maybe a producing partner of mine will be using one of my machines at the same time, (but on the same project or something), without having to buy it, but I don't give the stuff away to them, and usually with quality products, they would buy them as well if it was something they liked...

trust from devs goes a long way for "me", as I don't like the presumption of guilt without having to carry around a dongle, or deal with all sorts of hoops and ladders to install.... but I fully understand them wanting to protect their assets in this world.... So middle ground has to be found, and I think the above mentioned have found it better then synchosoft, iloks, etc etc...

...whatever, my .02
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have a few plugins on ilok (software not dongle)such as air plugins..sonivox..uvi .eventide products..im buying a new computer this week do I have to jump threw hoops too get them too authorize and work on my computer?i thought it was just a simple matter of installing the newest ilok license manager..install the plugins then log into my account online and theyd work again..is this how id do it or is it harder?
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Update: Fabfilter has a restriction when transfering a licence:
You must buy some rights(????) to transfer your licence (10$) and you can't transfer a single plugin license, if you have bought this within a bundle. Common guys...

Really annoying.

I don't consider Fabfilter anymore as a 100% open minded company. But TBH there are much worse like SSL, Slate etc (USB ilOk dongle is a must, only 1 computer etc. really crazy stuff in the 2018).

DOn't be scared to share your experience. As long as they all are spreading their marketing penetration, we have the right to spread the truth about the products! Viva la Pluginism!

The best IMO are Izotope.
Only such companies will survive.
Old 12th November 2018
unr
Gear Maniac

Are you sure that Zynaptiq has more than 1 activation still?

Also, here's a nice overview for companies using Ilok:
License activation locations by publisher – Gobbler Knowledge Base

Quote:
Empirical Lab: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
Eventide: iLok 1, 2 & 3 and Machine / 2 concurrent activations
Exponential Audio: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
Kush Audio: iLok 2 & 3 / 2 concurrent activations
McDSP: iLok 2 & 3 and iLok Cloud / 1 activation
Mathew Lane: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
Nugen: iLok 2 & 3 and Machine / 1 activation
Relab Development: iLok 1, 2 & 3 and Machine / 2 activations
Slate Digital: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
Softube: iLok 2 & 3 and Machine / 2 concurrent activations
Solid State Logic: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
Sonic Studio: iLok 2 & 3 and Machine / 1 activation
Ultimate Studio Bundle: iLok 2 & 3 / 1 activation
XILS Lab: iLok 1, 2 & 3 and Machine / 2 activations
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
This one really annoys me.
$179 for MH Character and they can't even make it work with iLok Cloud?

I've defended MH for a long time because I believe in their whole ethos of future-proof, but this is one area where they are definitely operating in the past.

I also don't understand why Kush runs two different iLok license schemes.
Some products don't require a dongle, some do. I've bought most that don't, and they'd get more of my money if all just worked without the physical iLok, and needed the iLok license manager software only.
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear

laptop based studio/multiple systems

Hey Folks,
this is my first post on Gearslutz - yay!

I really want to upgrade my home studio to the slate VRS8 ecosystem and I‘m facing a few problems since I want it to be a plug and play laptop based studio. My lady and I are touring musicians and we work both on the road and at home, sometimes on seperate projects, sometimes on the same projects.

If I take the iLok with me to work with artists on the road and my lady wants to record strings and vocals at home for a production - is there a way for the interface to work without having the iLok? Will iLok cloud be a solution? What about simultaneous use of plugins with the slate everything bundle? Do we have to purchase another everything bundle license or is there any possibility of an upgrade to a partner/family license?

To me the picture of us buying things legally (I also bought some of Waves, Izotope, NI, Arturia etc.) and having to buy everyting again just to work seperately but/and simultaneously without the option of a partner/family licensing where I would be ready to even pay more is a little bit absurd.

Do you guys have any experience with that? I think a laptop based studio with the newer macs via Thunderbolt 3 plug and play is an ideal solution for my lady and me but somehow I gotta figure out the software licensing part first. Thanks a lot!
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

I only have 4 plugins that require ILok and all of them were Eventide Freebees which don't require a dongle. They set up with two instances on two computers properly.

Every other plugin was free, part of Sonar which uses a password to install or plugins purchased that use password authentication to install.

I've avoided buying anything that requires ILok specifically because I hate dealing with it. I wouldn't have it at all if I didn't like those few plugins I was given.
I've though about using different DAW programs too but I'm unwilling to buy any program that uses an ILok dongle. Sonar works as good as any other DAW program, even though the company has been sold to Band Lab. You can get a free copy of their latest system if you run a 64 bit computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search