The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac 27" for music production... Audio Interfaces
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I currently run a mid 2011 Mac Mini Server with a 2.0GHz i7 and 12GB RAM. 2x500G internal 7200RPM drives.
I routinely record at 48KHz with my i/o buffer set to 64 samples. I run projects mostly using Steven Slate Drums, a few VI keyboard tracks and MANY guitar tracks using either Amplitube 3 or BIAS (or a mix of both). I occasionally have to freeze tracks, but I don't usually have any problem handling rather large projects.

On a recent project the engineer at the studio with whom I'm collaborating specified the project at 96k instead of 48k. At 96K I had to up my i/o buffer to 128

So yeah, I think any of the new iMacs, especially the 4GHz i7 will handle most Logic projects while gently yawning. Add an SSD and some after market RAM (look at Other World Computing) and it'll be even better!
Old 25th March 2016
Here for the gear

I am very close to making a purchase. With my budget I have considered

- refurb cheese grater (3.4 GHz 12 core, 128 GB memory... 4 x 1TB SSD's for virtual instruments, 1 x 2TB HHD for project saves)
- 6 core Mac Pro trash can, 64 GB memory (with hard drive solution below)
- iMac 4.2 Ghz quad core i7 , 32 GB memory (with hard drive solution below)

Thunderbolt 2 connected Hard drive solution:
- BlackMagic MultiDock
- 4 x Samsung 850EVO SSD, instrument libraries
- 1 x 2TB fast HDD, thunderbolt 2, project saves
- 1 x 256 SSD for Video and other misc read/write stuff

Something along these lines.

I need to run heavy software such as PLAY with 14 east west libraries including Hollywood Diamond Brass and Strings.. and KONTAKT with Albion One, Symphonia 2 and 3, Komplete 10 ultimate and so on.

I have a feeling I shouldn't even be looking at an iMac for this. However... I'm also cringing at the thought of getting a Mac Pro 6+ core, and straight away, a new Mac Pro is released (it's about time!).

I might be able to get a better deal on the iMac, than I can on the Mac Pro. I work with a company who gets a lot of iMacs. and they have a deal with them.

However... it's not about saving money as much as avoiding getting something which can't handle what I want to use this for.

With my current setup, I not only have to bounce midi to audio, and bounce audio tracks with too many plugins on to new audio track with those FX on (*face palm*)... I have to also split projects into 5+ separate projects, to handle everything. And I currently have no chance of using Hollywood diamond strings or brass (thousands of $$$ sat on a shelf for over 1 year).

So all these issues need to stop. I need a system that can handle it. In 6 ish months, I will be in the position to get a 12 core Mac Pro, or a PC slave.

Right now, I could still do with saving where I can. If the iMac with 32GB memory and 4.2 boost can get me through the next 6 months.. then I will do that.

But if the Mac Pro 6 core with 64 is going to give me a reeeally significant smoother work flow....

urrgh... the question almost answers itself... It's just so damn hard parting with money that is DOUBLE the amount of PC's... and yet, Apple take this money, and don't even keep us up to date and tooled up with the latest tech..... Waiting a few months, fine.... but we are waiting YEARS..... for what ?.... And we get no updates on what is happening... like this is a fun game.... like we're consumers.. gathering around a stage with the curtains drawn.. and there's whispering behind the curtains... and we're all searching around the audience to hear rumors..... As though Apple thinks this is some consumer toy, which "building up suspense" and making us wait makes us all excited. Why do they develop pro gear for professionals as though it is consumer gear for consumers ? We are working professionally.. we have competitors, we have careers, families to support..... And we're left to read "rumors" articles saying, "Apple may discontinue the Mac Pro and focus more on the much more profitable consumer market product range".... I don't know if that's true. But it feels true. Seems like Apple have turned their back on professionals

Genuinely... I have been thinking of shifting from Mac Pro and Logic Pro X... to PC with Pro Tools... Somehow, doing that means being able to get the latest tech, for half the price... Who on earth is making decisions in Apple, that this sort of thing is happening

*splashes face with cold water*

Ok, I'm back. Anyway, so I might have to just walk with dragging feet to the Apple Store and get a 6 core...

of course, as has been said.. no point in getting the memory there. Again... why so ripoff ? Is it not enough that I just paid double price for the main machine, that I have to pay 4 x the price for memory ?
Old 25th March 2016
Here for the gear

continued.... check Apples net profit........ then check the double prices for gear...... then check how we wait YEARS longer than PC users to get the latest tech... and there's a massive gap in power.. PC's you can get for half the price are significantly superior... they are elite compared to the Apple Pro gear.

So, Apple are making tonnes of money.. and charging us tonnes... and.... taking years to deliver urrgh... Go on a diet, Apple !

They could afford to fast track a Mac Pro model, taking a financial hit (which to them would be minor)..... bit of a sacrifice for them to pay.

Instead, they make us pay. Instead of them parting with a tiny piece of their vast fortune.. They make us part with all the money we have left.

*splashes face with cold water*

Whoa, letting it out on this one

(I'm just about to spend around $8000 to $14000 USD in the next 2 weeks... and I feel let down, and I don't see any good reason why, when we hand over so much money to these guys).
Old 25th March 2016
Here for the gear

I recently just finished a 10 day project, working over 16 hours every day. One day I worked 23 hours without a break or sleep.

When I'm in the middle of post production, putting out fires and plugging up leaks all over the ship... when we have to maintain enough speed and power to break through ice bergs of other peoples BS in the industry I'm in. That's when the things I'm talking about matter. Because knowing that I could have 40% more power, but the opulently wealthy vessel (Apple) who develops that tech is years behind todays tech with making that available for us. That's when it stings... that I then hand over my hard earned money for yesterdays tech upgrades. Only to find, no doubt, that as soon as I do, they suddenly release the latest gear. With cheesey smiles like, "Tadaaaa!" popping party poppers..... and I have a party hat on with a sad face and someone blowing one of those squeeky horn things in my face.
Old 2nd April 2016
I can't find the i7 iMac in my country, I have found the i5 27 inch imac... is there big difference for audio?
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I will never forgive them (Apple) for their decision to not offer a all-in-one model anymore... the 27" i7 iMac is a very good computer but the extra mess you get with cabling is terrible.
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
I can't find the i7 iMac in my country, I have found the i5 27 inch imac... is there big difference for audio?
Yes, there is a substantial difference. The i5 and i7 are quad core processors, however, the i7 is capable of hyperthreading - which basically means each core can perform two tasks at once. To a hyperthreading-aware OS/App architecture it's more akin to getting 8 cores. For example - I run Logic Pro X on an i7 system. The CPU meter shows 8 cores (remember, my i7 is a 4 core) with the workload being distributed each of these cores, the 4 on the CPU and the 4 virtual cores made possible by hyperthreading.

If you can't find the i7, I'd look into special ordering it.
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
Yes, there is a substantial difference. The i5 and i7 are quad core processors, however, the i7 is capable of hyperthreading - which basically means each core can perform two tasks at once. To a hyperthreading-aware OS/App architecture it's more akin to getting 8 cores. For example - I run Logic Pro X on an i7 system. The CPU meter shows 8 cores (remember, my i7 is a 4 core) with the workload being distributed each of these cores, the 4 on the CPU and the 4 virtual cores made possible by hyperthreading.

If you can't find the i7, I'd look into special ordering it.
thanks a lot, I'm going to search for the i7, but if I don't find it, that i5 is not a good solution?
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
thanks a lot, I'm going to search for the i7, but if I don't find it, that i5 is not a good solution?
For what we use our computers for, I'd say no on the i5. The 'extra' virtual cores really do make a difference. That said I'm sure there are many folks who use i5 systems and are perfectly happy with them. From what I've seen and still see, though, the i7 is strongly recommended. Look online, you'll find 'em....
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Addict

I can't vouch for the iMac i5 vs i7, but I can say that once I've tried the 2012 macmini core i5 at a friend's place and it was MILES behind my late 2012 macmini i7. I do have 16GB of RAM while he only had 4GB, and also use an SSD while he was on the stock HDD, but, really, it was like night and day. I couldn't work on a computer like that for more than a couple of hours without going mad.

I'd say everything matters. RAM matters a lot (get at least 16GB these days), an SSD is mandatory and, yeah, if you can get an i7, then surely go for it. BUT, having that said, I'd bet that it is better to get an i5 with a fast flash memory SSD and lots of RAM than getting an i7 with a regular HDD and only 4 GB of RAM. Just saying.
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Head

Anyone have issues with fan noise when while running larger sessions? Could you sit near the iMac and record acoustic guitar?
Old 21st April 2016
Any new updates regarding 2016 Mac Pro or 2016 MacBook Pro? Sick of reading rumors, the trash can is going on three years old. I'm almost to a cross road as well and am trying to sort out the options. Thanks in advance for and concrete info.
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

I would highly consider a used mac pro from 2009 to 2010, 12 core 3.4ghz from previous generation for your PCIe. Those go for less than 2k on the bay and that is more power than a human being is ever likely to use.

I have a 2011 imac and have considered going the above route but my damn UAD is thunderbolt making the swap financially not feasible.
Old 22nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratofied View Post
Anyone have issues with fan noise when while running larger sessions? Could you sit near the iMac and record acoustic guitar?
There is only fan noise if you have heavy graphics going on.
No problem with just a DAW open...but might be if you have HD video running as well.

Mine is a 2013 i7 with max memory and the big graphics card you could get back then.
Old 22nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
There is only fan noise if you have heavy graphics going on.
No problem with just a DAW open...but might be if you have HD video running as well.

Mine is a 2013 i7 with max memory and the big graphics card you could get back then.
So even with the larger graphics card, it kicks the fan off? I have the 2012 model with the standard graphic card, and if I open lots of photos, you can hear the fan kick in. I was assuming that this would be better with the larger graphic card.
Old 22nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratofied View Post
I concur with earlier reply, I never hear the fan when mixing or producing, but if I open up a large library of photos it kicks in.
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid View Post
I would highly consider a used mac pro from 2009 to 2010, 12 core 3.4ghz from previous generation for your PCIe. Those go for less than 2k on the bay and that is more power than a human being is ever likely to use.

I have a 2011 imac and have considered going the above route but my damn UAD is thunderbolt making the swap financially not feasible.
That's my dilemma: I use an Apogee Ensemvle Thunderbolt so I can't go with the previous gen Mac Pro.
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake49 View Post
They could afford to fast track a Mac Pro model, taking a financial hit
hilarious

Quote:
Instead, they make us pay.
How weird, right?
Old 24th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
So even with the larger graphics card, it kicks the fan off? I have the 2012 model with the standard graphic card, and if I open lots of photos, you can hear the fan kick in. I was assuming that this would be better with the larger graphic card.
I'm talking about stuff like 4k video etc ...it will then be audible after a while.

I have heard video people talk about the fan being pretty loud when they render high resolution stuff etc...so it is an issue. But not when working in pro tools.
Old 17th May 2017
Gear Head
Thanks for your comment, I was actually considering a 27" iMac but now that you mention it, I think it would be too big
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search