The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Totally in the box?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Totally in the box?

Is anyone recording and mixing totally in the computer without using a hardware mixer?

If so... do tell
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I do
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I just recently mixed this completely in the box. Vocals and Bass had some hardware compression while tracking.

My wiring system and patchbays are being reconfigured so this was more out of necessity and ............ some laziness.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/102949-hard-time-finishing-mix-thoughts-please.html

I posted two mixes on this thread - I am more partial to the first. The second has more bottom end.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
I just recently mixed this completely in the box. Vocals and Bass had some hardware compression while tracking.

My wiring system and patchbays are being reconfigured so this was more out of necessity and ............ some laziness.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/102949-hard-time-finishing-mix-thoughts-please.html

I posted two mixes on this thread - I am more partial to the first. The second has more bottom end.
Second one sounds good
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Yep, everything in the box...
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

There are a lot of people who mix totally iTB.
In fact if you are around for the NAMM show this coming weekend, there will be a lot of people there talking about mixing iTB.

Go to my website and click on MP3's. Everything on that page that was mixed iTB.
Old 15th January 2007
I mix in the box. (I do use my hardware mixer for monitor feeds on tracking.)

Between 1996 and 2001, I mixed OTB, mixing the 8 outs of my pc DAW with the realtime output of my MIDI modules (usually 4-6 of them), using a slug of outboard ditigal FX boxes along with a handful of outboard compressors, tube and otherwise.

But these days it's all ITB, using VIs for Rhodes, B3, and analog-style synths, and various sample sets for drums. (Lately, BFD but I don't think I have any BFD tracks up anywhere, offhand.)

I'll say this: I think the one thing I, personally, find more difficult, ITB, is getting the kind of bass I want in the mix. I'd prevously used various outboard bass synths and samples, so it's not that. There's just something I can't quite put my finger on that tends to happen in my ITB mixes to the bass. I dunno... there've been exceptions and, overall, I've usually been able to live with things... but there's a tradeoff, at least with regard to making it, somehow, trickier to get what I want.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
Is anyone recording and mixing totally in the computer without using a hardware mixer?

If so... do tell

I do.
Check the MP3 forum. There's acover I just did.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

I too am surrounded by six sides.....I am in the box.
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdio View Post
I too am surrounded by six sides.....I am in the box.
Indeed. There are times when I all but live ITB these days.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

All ITB here as well. Used to be a combination of Daw and analog tape all OTB. A few years back made the switch and I ain't lookin back. A good frontend to your DAW is absolutly critical to getting good ITB mixes IMO.
Old 16th January 2007
I just installed a Folcrom, but have been almost entirely ITB for the past five years. I posted some recent ITB mixes here for your perusal.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

In the box, formally, but processing and mixing on dedicated dsp's on my audiocards, that it's not very different from a digital mixer in substance, but the gestures are definetly as in the box.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Totally in the box for a few years now. The only way to keep multiple projects going. I still use the board for mic pres when tracking drums though.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm totally mixing ITB using Nuendo and ProTools. I even prefer not to use outboard compression or EQ when I'm tracking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search