The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reaper sounds better than Foobar?! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Reaper sounds better than Foobar?!

Hey all,

I could be completely imagining this, but I could swear there is a considerable difference between playing a Flac file in Reaper, and playing the same file in Foobar. Cant really think of a way of testing this, I don't think bouncing will have the same effect, and I doubt two RTA recordings would null but still, there's a definite difference.

Is this possible?

Peace
MixingWizard
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Probably not. There is probably a null test that can prove (don't know how though) or maybe a volume difference. That plays tricks with peoples heads more than anything else.

EDIT, I like your avatar
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hey Wizard,
most likely it won't sound different under same conditions.
Difference is, Reaper most probably access your interface directly via ASIO (completely bypassing windows audio stack.. mixing, resampling - running at native sample rate, no possible enhancements etc.), while Foobar with its default settings use Windows Direct Sound..

To have fair comparison, I would recommend to install ASIO output plugin to your Foobar2000..
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
and set it same way as in Reaper

Sometimes, this isn't really viable option, because each application, which uses ASIO driver have exclusive access to interface and unless its driver supports true multiclient access (for instance RME).. You can't play in Foobar while your driver is still accessed by DAW.
To overcome this, either check option in Reaper preferences / Audio / Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive (that way, when you minimize Reaper to taskbar, it will release ASIO driver) or ditch external player completely and preview your files (assuming, you want to listen mainly to your exported files) directly in Reaper's Media Explorer, which is quite handy for such tasks.

Michal
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hey Wizard,
most likely it won't sound different under same conditions.
Difference is, Reaper most probably access your interface directly via ASIO (completely bypassing windows audio stack.. mixing, resampling - running at native sample rate, no possible enhancements etc.), while Foobar with its default settings use Windows Direct Sound..

To have fair comparison, I would recommend to install ASIO output plugin to your Foobar2000..
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
and set it same way as in Reaper

Sometimes, this isn't really viable option, because each application, which uses ASIO driver have exclusive access to interface and unless its driver supports true multiclient access (for instance RME).. You can't play in Foobar while your driver is still accessed by DAW.
To overcome this, either check option in Reaper preferences / Audio / Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive (that way, when you minimize Reaper to taskbar, it will release ASIO driver) or ditch external player completely and preview your files (assuming, you want to listen mainly to your exported files) directly in Reaper's Media Explorer, which is quite handy for such tasks.

Michal
Didn't think of that! I run foobar with ASIO drivers on my studio laptop but not this one. I'll try that and see if I can spot a difference.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search