The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Apollo Twin USB Version Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2015
UAD Apollo Twin USB Version

So I am a little curious regarding the route UAD will take with this new Apollo Twin USB 3.0 version.

I am and have always been a PC power user, with specific issues in regards to switching to mac. And I have been working on and building custom PC's specifically for audio for 15 years. I mean, I like Macs, it's just that the mac I would want/need is pretty expensive as compared to a similarly spec'd PC. I had planned for some time to go the Hackintosh route, and purchase a PC Motherboard that supports Thunderbolt. A major factor in my wanting to go that route was so that I could purchase and use an Apollo Twin. I had read a while back that UAD wanted to support Windows with the Apollo Twin TB, but Microsoft said no to driver signing until at least Win10. Between that, and some of the pitfalls of going the hackintosh route, I chose to hold off. I can't imagine I am the only person with this line of thinking.

Enter the USB 3.0 version of the Apollo twin. Its here! Great!

HOWEVER... I am curious if UAD will eventually create OSX support for the Twin USB version, or simply force users that want to use an Apollo twin on OSX, to own the Thunderbolt version.

Does anyone have some insight they could share regarding this?

The obvious line of thinking here is that a USB version of the Apollo Twin with support for both Mac and PC, would allow users such as myself, and those that want to move between win/mac, or that have Hackintosh systems, to easily do so. The question is really, WOULD UAD do such a thing? It seems as though it doesn't make much sense for them to support Mac on the USB version of the Twin, as it may impact sales of the TB version. I dunno, just thinking out loud at this point. What say you, slutz?
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXbeatz View Post
t seems as though it doesn't make much sense for them to support Mac on the USB version of the Twin, as it may impact sales of the TB version. I dunno, just thinking out loud at this point. What say you, slutz?
Pretty much that. If Apple begins to abandon TB they might.
Old 19th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Pretty much that. If Apple begins to abandon TB they might.
Yeah, this is wait I'm afraid of. I'm still waiting for the first few reviews of the USB version to roll in over the next week or two and make sure there are no issues for Win users.

That said, it just sucks to marginalize ones options. Go the USB twin route, and Im choosing to stay on Windows for a while, leaving no point in going Mac or Hack. Go the TB route, and I have to go Mac or Hack, and have a separate audio device for when I'm in Windows.

Clearly the best of both worlds is an Apollo twin USB that supports both PC/Mac.
Life could be so simple. LOL
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXbeatz View Post
Clearly the best of both worlds is an Apollo twin USB that supports both PC/Mac.
Life could be so simple. LOL
Or just add a USB 3 port to the existing TB models and have drivers for both.
Old 19th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Or just add a USB 3 port to the existing TB models and have drivers for both.
Yup. That would be great as well!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search