The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very Old laptop beats New!? Saturation Plugins
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Very Old laptop beats New!?

Greetings,

Just got a new laptop, Lenovo y-40-80 (i7 5500u, 16 GB, 4 GB VRAM, 512 ssd, Windows 8.1) which I expected to perform better than my old one (asus i5 460m, 8 GB, 2 GB VRAM, HD 7200 rpm Win7) running LIVE 8.4.2

I have done all the normal tweaks to both machines to increase performance for audio production, eliminating graphics bells and whistles, maximizing power options to reduce CPU throttling, etc etc.

To my surprise, the old Win7 machine outperforms the new Win8.1 machine, by a lot. Much better latency figures (using asio4all, first gen i5 machine latency is literally 1/2 that of the 5th gen i7). Old Win7 machine is more stable, and uses less CPU for running virtual instruments. This is true whether I am using my NI Komplete Audio 6 USB interface with native driver or onboard audio using asio4all.

I don't get it. Been doing this for many years, so I don't think I am missing anything and this does not make sense to me. Therefore, I ask you, the experts, for any insights or advice you might have. Thanks in advance for your time.

All the best

Ed

Last edited by edmann; 19th October 2015 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include interface
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann View Post
Greetings,

Just got a new laptop, Lenovo y-40-80 (i7 5500u, 16 GB, 4 GB VRAM, 512 ssd, Windows 8.1) which I expected to perform better than my old one (asus i5 460m, 8 GB, 2 GB VRAM, HD 7200 rpm Win7) running LIVE 8.4.2

I have done all the normal tweaks to both machines to increase performance for audio production, eliminating graphics bells and whistles, maximizing power options to reduce CPU throttling, etc etc.

To my surprise, the old Win7 machine outperforms the new Win8.1 machine, by a lot. Much better latency figures (using asio4all, first gen i5 machine latency is literally 1/2 that of the 5th gen i7). Old Win7 machine is more stable, and uses less CPU for running virtual instruments. This is true whether I am using my NI Komplete Audio 6 USB interface with native driver or onboard audio using asio4all.

I don't get it. Been doing this for many years, so I don't think I am missing anything and this does not make sense to me. Therefore, I ask you, the experts, for any insights or advice you might have. Thanks in advance for your time.

All the best

Ed
Hi,
Probably USB 3.0 compatibility issues with the NI. Could also be some underlying power "tweaks" by Lenovo too improve battery life.
Have you checked DPC at all?

Chris
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Thanks Chris,

DPC is known to have some problems in Win8, so I do run it (says good, all below 1000) but I rely more on LatencyMon which shows all good, no problems. Thanks for the advice on USB 3 I will look into that.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Using the USB 2.0 port changes nothing. It must be that some machines simply will not do audio production very well, for reasons that cannot be specified and regardless of components. This is the first Wondows laptop I have had which gives such poor performance.
Old 19th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann View Post
This is the first Wondows laptop I have had which gives such poor performance.
I know it's a pain, but installing Win7 on it would make for a better comparison.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Aha

Hello Marc as a result of your input re: battery, I disabled the ACPI battery control device, and now asio4all will drive on board audio at a good latency figure of output 3 ms.

Thank you!

Ed
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Also, the new one has a low voltage processor so it's speed must be lower than your old one, the performance should be better on the new one but not by a lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search