The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Fireface 800 Mic Settings Clipping Issue Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head

RME Fireface 800 Mic Settings Clipping Issue

Hi,
I'm using the FF800 and would like to record some VoiceOver stuff.
I'll plug my mic into channel 7, then in the Fireface Settings app, I'll have that input as 'Front', I'll turn phantom for that channel on and set my gain using Channel 7's knob on the front of the FF800.

I get a good level, usually staying around -14 or average, which I'm happy with. However, I can't figure out how to set the limiter for the channel so that it doesn't clip.

The Limiter option on the Fireface Settings app doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone please let me know how I can set this up? I don't want levels to go over -6dbFs.

Thanks very very much!
Faiz Z
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Not at home at the moment, but I believe the limiter is only for input 1 (instrument input).
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Head

Ah thanks. Thats strange though. There's no way to stop the Mic input from clipping if the vocalist speaks too loudly all of a sudden?! That's not good.
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Nut

The preamps on FF800 are not that great, especially for dynamic material. Either set the gain very low and be sure to record at 24 bit resolution, OR get an external preamp or a channel strip so you have more control.
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

The limiter is input 1 only. I would never use a limiter during recording.

The point with any pre-amp is to leave sufficient headroom so that it CANNOT clip as a result of the source. If you're not doing that you're simply recording too hot. Aim for *peaks* of around -10dBFS and record 24-bit.

You may need to get your performer to do a bit of shouting so you can set levels.

The pre's in the FF800 are perfectly adequate for the job.

Last edited by The Elf; 20th October 2015 at 10:01 AM..
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
The preamps on FF800 are not that great, especially for dynamic material. Either set the gain very low and be sure to record at 24 bit resolution, OR get an external preamp or a channel strip so you have more control.

The Preamp of the Ff800 are more than adequate for a VO recording.set you level
low to avoid clipping,that way you will have plenty of headroom.
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Head

Cool, thanks for all the info!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search