The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To uad or not... Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head

To uad or not...

I have just sold my apogee one as it is time to go for something with more i/o. At least 2 mic pres and 4 outs.

Question is: is it worth an apollo twin or should i go with something like the new claretts?

I already own slate, soundtoys and waves plugins and my mac is really fast.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I don't believe in proprietary outboard DSP hardware at all.

Money invested in Universal Audio's DSP chips is better invested in a faster computer.

Especially since your computer can use this processing power for any task and any plug-in.

The Apollo can only use its DSP power for running UA plug-ins - not for anything else.

And you need to have the hardware available wherever you go or else you can't use the UA plug-ins.

This system only makes sense for UA, not for the consumer.

If UA at least made it so that your Apollo can run plug-ins from other manufacturers, too. And if they made it so that your UA plug-ins can also run natively whenever you don't have an Apollo interface available.

But they don't. And the way it is right now, it's just a sales machine for their own plug-ins.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict
I use it, and the only downside is that you are locked to their DSP. I have the new Mac Pro, so it's especially annoying running out of juice that fast.

That said... Their products, in my situation, work flawlessly. And sound great!
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head

are thunderbolt interfaces like apogee ensemble and focusrite clarets an option for tracking with plug-ins without latency?
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear
UA LA2A, Pultec, 1176, Massive Passive, DeEsser are stellar to me.

But to me, hardly a necessity. I think UAD is a purchase you make if you want a specific sound and have the money to spend for it, generated by your music endeavors.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

DSP is a non issue. I use UAD plugins coz they are excellent and I wouldn't want to work without'em.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

I sold my Apollo 16 a while back. The plugs are great and so is the unit but it lacks power to track the way I wanted. No way could I get 26 tracks with multiple UAD plugs the way I wanted without purchasing a satellite unit. As I thought about it I believe the plugs available today are outstanding, including UAD but well beyond UAD too.

I took the opportunity to buy 500 series hardware for the first time so the Clarett 8PreX is perfect for me. Zero latency, solid conversion and simple to use. The plug ins that I still use can be run without the UAD Dongle (so to speak) and I can run more of them with less hassle. So I would say due to the power required to run instances and a hardware dongle ( I know it is more than a dongle) I would not go back to UAD.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
DSP is a non issue. I use UAD plugins coz they are excellent and I wouldn't want to work without'em.
I have a ton of plugins from all the usual supsects. When I'm making music, I'm going to drop in the plugin that does the best sound shaping job. Obviously.

Over time, I find that about 80% of the time, that's a UAD plugin.
They just sound better to me. It's not the DSP, it's the coding. So the people who hate dedicated DSP, or don't like having a UAD "dongle" certainly have a point in practical terms.

It boils down to what's your priority. For me, the sound is my priority, and if I need to drop 3 UAD-2 quads in my computer (which I did) to get the sound I want, so be it. But I'll say this. I'll bet if there were a bunch of UAD plugins sitting on your system, whoever you are, you'd be using the heck out of them. Some people just don't want to pay for it. That's their call. But not mine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search